If Not Logans...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And after round 2, the overall leader is ...(drumroll)....
Usher Be-20: This speaker is insane!

Stellar selection!

Oh, I meant to ask if you have access to, or have heard any of Avalon's models. A few years back, I visited Goodwin's High End just outside Boston and was completely blown away by the Eidolons (dcs digital front-end gear and Spectral amplification... all very drool-worthy). I also had the opportunity to audition the Kharma Ceramique 2.0s... we put on some Vince Guaraldi and I was floored at the realism of Vince's trio - brought back from the grave and playing "live" just for me, as if defying nature and heaven, simply to quench my audio thirst.

But I digress, and to further digress, as much as I loved the Kharmas I couldn't get over the jet-black "expensive children's coffin" look :eek:... but maybe that's just me and my rather orthogonal/unorthodox view of the world.

Anyway, both crazy-performance level dynamic speakers.

Cheers and keep us posted should there be a round three.

May I suggest something completely different? What do you think about a network DAC (a modded Logitech Transporter, PS Audio PerfectWave + Bridge) feeding active speakers? This system will not take much space in your bedroom. Also, some active speakers do not require much space behind them or (think of studio monitors) can be built into the walls, what only increases the WAF. For example, bi- or tri-amped Genelec's or Dynaudio's. Or Meridian digital active speakers?

May I suggest something completely different? What do you think about a network DAC (a modded Logitech Transporter, PS Audio PerfectWave + Bridge) feeding active speakers? This system will not take much space in your bedroom. Also, some active speakers do not require much space behind them or (think of studio monitors) can be built into the walls, what only increases the WAF. For example, bi- or tri-amped Genelec's or Dynaudio's. Or Meridian digital active speakers?

Have never heard these. what is the advantage (in terms of sound, not convenience) of an active speaker and specifically these? how would you connect multiple inputs e.g. sonos, blue-ray, cable?

thanks

Have never heard these. what is the advantage (in terms of sound, not convenience) of an active speaker and specifically these? how would you connect multiple inputs e.g. sonos, blue-ray, cable?

I thought there was only one input, so you will definitely need a preamp.

Advantages are (mostly Genelec and Dynaudio, since they are professional studio monitors, while the Meridian's are piano-lacquered-hi-end-beauties, the price for both types varies from $7000 to $50000, depending on the model, country and dealer):

o- very dynamic and balanced sound
o- no separate power amps
o- no speaker cables (and generally less cables, apart from keeping the space neat, it will definitely affect the sound and bank account)
o- tuned dedicated amplifiers per speaker driver (bi- or tri-amping, 4 or 6 power amps in total)
o- big, powerful sound is a small package
o- tight, controlled bass
o- easier speaker placement (also affects the sound, does not it?)

The sound is definitely different from planars (neither worse not better, just different). But, of course, you need to hear it. For example, for me every box speaker I've heard sounds boxy, I prefer Logans or Magnepans.

Last edited:
Harbeth

If I had the budget and the room (I'm close on both, but not quite close enough) I would get a pair of Harbeth SHL5's in a heartbeat.

I'm a huge fan of the Quad ESL-57. Harbeth reminds me of big full-range quads. :music:

and was completely blown away by the Eidolons (dcs digital front-end gear and Spectral amplification... all very drool-worthy).

Interesting that you mentioned this "reference" (Avalon - Spectral - dCS - MIT - DAAD) set up with an exorbitant price ;-) While it indeed sounds "very drool-worthy" the Avalons do not have the sound of good planars (it's neither good nor bad - just different), and I doubt you can get a good match between Spectral and Logans/Magnepans. So it's all a matter of preference.

Also, it would be an overkill for a bedroom system ;-)

Last edited:
Interesting that you mentioned this "reference" (Avalon - Spectral - dCS - MIT - DAAD) set up with an exorbitant price ;-) While it indeed sounds "very drool-worthy" the Avalons do not have the sound of good planars (it's neither good not bad - just different), and I doubt you can get a good match between Spectral and Logans/Magnepans. So it's all a matter of preference.

Also, it would be an overkill for a bedroom system ;-)

Couldn't agree more... complete overkill. I guess the point (I failed to elaborate on in my post) is that Avalon has several noteworthy models besides the Eidolon that may potentially be something for you to consider, but it sounds like you're already quite familiar with them, so we'll leave it at that.

Cheers

Hello,
When I switch Speakers, it will either be Focals. Thiels, Dynaudios, TAD's, or Nautilus Level B&W's.

Beryillum Tweetered Focals are the most likely switch I would make. Given the recent direction of ML, I am afraid this is coming sooner than later.
I do have an extra pair of Panels for my Vantages which makes me want to keep them, but I really am impressed with Focals BE Speakers. My Brother has 1038 BE's driven by Rogue Audio Tube Monoblocks and a Rockport Turntable for his 2 Channel Rig and it is Heavenly. He does have a dual Ascent i, Theater i, Descent i 5.1 HT as well.
Cheers,
JJ

Hello,
When I switch Speakers, it will either be Focals. Thiels, Dynaudios, TAD's, or Nautilus Level B&W's.

JJ

When!!! When!! When you switch!

I was just on another site complimenting someone on his beautiful system with his brand new B&W 800 Diamonds. The next post was from someone who felt shafted because he bought the B&W 800D's last year.

I like all the speakers on your list. In fact I have a pair of Semi-TAD's (Pioneer S-1EX's) in my Los Angeles office. Yes, Andrew Jones designs nice stuff. But my main system is and will remain Martin Logan. The company may be showing some growing pains but IMHO the CLX and siblings are great speakers.

Yes my 2nd and 3rd system have no ML's but in my heart, ML's will always be in my #1 system.

Gary

But my main system is and will remain Martin Logan. The company may be showing some growing pains but IMHO the CLX and siblings are great speakers.

They may be great speakers, but they are certainly not in a league of their own. There are many great speakers that can easily compete with them on sound quality, and many are less expensive. I expect my next speakers will be a different brand, but I am not so sure that I am ready to make the move to something other than planars.

I expect my next speakers will be a different brand....

So Rich, like the OP, have you given any serious thought to just which speakers you will likely migrate to? I think we know what Justin would recommend ;) and having had several different Maggie models myself over the years, I can attest to their musical prowess. Regardless, there's certainly no shortage of options out there. Just curious if you're potentially leaning in any particular direction.

(OP, sorry to sideswipe your thread)

Black Swan

I had the priviledge to listen to these speakers at the 2009 RMAF.

The price (~$30,000) is a bit out of my range and the CLX is likely cheaper (though not practical as I don't think I have a large enough room for that particular ML speaker).

Erik

Attachments

• P1010808.jpg
    P1010808.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 365
Bugger :( :eek: The pain of searching for second hands. The Usher Be-20's I had my eyes/ears on got sold as I was dithering about, planning holidays, doing work and such like. Surprised they moved so quickly. Wondering if someone reading my musings scooped me...Hmm..
Alas, I don't these come on market that frequently...

Secondly, the more I listen to my Summits, the more I'm thinking ....why dont I just move the Summits to the B/R and replace them with CLX's? Yes the CLX's are big but they might fit in my family room which doubles as the HT...

Have to give the CLX a real listen....Haven't done that yet

The Usher Be-20's I had my eyes/ears on ... the more I listen to my Summits, the more I'm thinking ....why dont I just move the Summits to the B/R and replace them with CLX's?

Errrm... So what about Logan vs. Usher Be-20? Soundwise? ;-P

Errrm... So what about Logan vs. Usher Be-20? Soundwise? ;-P
;) sound wise ushers much better because if I put summits in b/r I'd never hear the music above the background of wife's grumbling. Just kidding actually - she's quite a sport plus she might read this :D

So I listened to them in different rooms, different source gear. Credibility of comparison is low but credibility of "feel" is high! Summits much better in mid range, tad more revealing in uppers despite the ushers Be/ti tweeter. That was a surprise to me - I expected focals and ushers to be more revealing. The latter two were slightly sharper in their uppers but I preferred the logans And felt they more closely approximated a live voice and instruments. Much better in imaging as well.

Ushers much better in bass, placement flexibility and leagues better in off-sweet spot sound quality. Best non stat I heard in the other areas.

Overall I still liked the logans, my wife the ushers by a slight margin (in sound). But the b/r requires a speaker that performs very well off-sweet spot

Yeah, different gear can play tricks. You never know what you actually hear in the demo room and what you will hear in your own room with your own equipment.

In your price range it would be a no brainer for me - Joseph Audio Pulsars. Near electrostatic like clarity, not quite the midrange of our Logans, but close, frequency extension at both ends of the spectrum (you'll find yourself searching for the phantom subwoofer), and dynamics that will simply blow you away. Easiest $7K you'll ever spend.

So I assume Tim that you've seen the latest issue of TAS. Others obviously agree with your perspective. ;)

Gordon

They may be great speakers, but they are certainly not in a league of their own. There are many great speakers that can easily compete with them on sound quality, and many are less expensive. I expect my next speakers will be a different brand, but I am not so sure that I am ready to make the move to something other than planars.

Dare you lay your cards on the table, Rich, and list those speakers?:)

Dare you lay your cards on the table, Rich, and list those speakers?:)

It would be a little premature to say right now, Justin. Since I am not really looking to upgrade anytime soon and haven't done the serious research. Once I get there, I will research, demo, and shop around to find the best speaker for the best price. At that point, I will have a much better idea of which direction I would lean.

But my shortlist would definitely include the likes of Sanders Sound, Soundlabs, and perhaps the Maggie 20.1. And I would consider other speakers as well, including MBL, German Physics, Von Schweikert, Focal, and others.

Honestly, I think Roger's speaker is the standout here, at least in direct comparison with the CLX. It goes much lower than the CLX, with no subwoofer needed. The transmission line woofer is very fast in relation to the panel. It's crossover point is 170 hz., so there is no crossover in the crucial lower midrange (unlike the CLX, which crosses over at 360 hz.). It provides unparalleled accuracy, soundstaging and imaging. And it is a full $10,000 less expensive than the CLX (even more if you count the cost of the subwoofers you would need to buy for the CLX). Not to mention that Roger offers a lifetime warranty and no restrictions on future support. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Back