Ideal ML for 13X14X8 room size

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

van_neil

Reaction score
Would buying a Expression 13a work for a 13WX14DX8 (measurements in feet) room or would benefit more because of the room size with the Impression 11A? I'm sure in either case setting up ARC correctly is paramount. One dealer told me with ARC you can control bass, and that the slightly larger 2" width of the 13A panels over the 11A, would provide an improved presence/sweet spot. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

That is a rather small room for some line-array speakers, and it will definitely have some bass modes you would need to deal with.

If absolutely set on using an ESL, then the smaller, the better, as all the bigger ones will do is over-energize a room that I can guarantee will ring like a bell at various mid and high-frequencies (depends on the wall construction/materials, stucco would suck). Budget for a boatload of acoustic treatments as well.

When I did my own smaller media room (12’ x 10’ x 9’ ), I chose to use Coaxial driver speakers to ensure good dialog integration and musical accuracy as my ears are at roughly 8' from the speaker.

In your room, a set of ML Motion 35XTi and a couple of subs would be my bet for good audio. and you will need to treat the wall behind the listeners to ensure you hear the direct sound from the speakers.

I concur with Jonathan, not only is it small but damn near square to boot !

not only is it small but damn near square to boot !
Yep, which is why >1 sub is required, 2 minimum to balance out the room modes. One centered on the front wall, one centered on the rear wall. Alternatively, centered on the side walls.

None of this BS of symmetrically placing subs inboard of the L/R speaker, as that is rarely a good place for them. We should care more about function than looks.

You could also look at the ESL X and the Classic 9s. They are smaller and sound very good. Either would handle the room just fine. Even the ESL would be better than the Motion series speakers IMHO.

I just put 11A's into an 11w X 20d X 8h room. Went back and forth trying to decide between the 11A's and 13A's. Very happy I chose the 11A's. The dual 10" woofers in the 13A's would have been major overkill. And unlike subs, you can't move them to a better spot to combat the modes. Having upgraded from ESL X's to 11A's, let me tell you there is a noticeable difference stepping up into the Masterpiece line from the ElectroMotions. My old ESL X's sounded very, very good, but the 11A's are in a different league.

Is this for a home theater or a listening room? If it’s meant to be for both, I would treat it as a theater (ie, room relatively damped) and listen to music in multi-channel. 35XTi and maybe 50XTi for LCR; 800X for subs, larger if you watch effects laden video but my taste is more aligned with smaller/musical subs.

I love ARC, but room treatment is more important. As many bass traps as you can stuff in the room. Maybe some dispersion along the sides and ceiling (if not using Atmos Enabled upfiring).

if it’s a listening room, I’d use ESL X and maybe two 800X subs. Bass traps with diffusion panels behind the speakers. Less is more.

I appreciate there is a difference between masterpiece and electromotion speakers but I'm running Summits (which also have 11" wide panels) in a 12x14x8 room with no issues at all and I've not got the benefit of ARC to tweak the bass. No ringing, no boominess and no room treatment, just carpet, curtains 2 armchairs a large record rack and a cd rack..Summits are 3' from media racks and 2' centreline to side walls. I'm sat 9' from speakers against back wall.
IMG_20211006_135539.jpg

Back