I was just thinking...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbados

Reaction score
The reQuest retailed for less than the Vantage does now, only just a few years ago.

I've heard the Vantage on two occasions and I don't care what anyone says, unless you have a very small room, the reQuest was a better speaker at a better price.

The reQuest may not be "quite" as refined with jazz, female vocals and such, but it is so much more convincing at big band, pop, classical, and rock.

You had better, more dynamic and realistic bass, a larger soundstage (maybe not quite as detailed), and the same transparency. If anything the request must concede that it does not have the same dynamic range, or upper end extension in the panel as the Vantage does. Eitherway, all things considered IMO the reQuest wins hands down because it is a more convincing speaker than the Vantage is with a wide variety of music at a lower price.

Last edited:
I've yet to hear either speaker, but it's good to hear another point of view. There is a pair listed on Audiogon for 2,300.

Barbados- what then did you think of the Summit?

SugarMedia said:
Barbados- what then did you think of the Summit?

I have yet to hear the Summit.

If those reQuests are well cared for then you'd be hard pressed to find a better speaker anywhere for that money. Just my humble opinion ofcourse...

So I am curious now - has anyone compared the Vantage to the Ascent I? That would be an interesting demo!
Thanks
Marc.

marck said:
So I am curious now - has anyone compared the Vantage to the Ascent I? That would be an interesting demo!
Thanks
Marc.

As an owner of Ascent is who has also auditioned Summits, I would expect the Vantage to be incrementally better than the Ascent, both from the improved stator and from the powered bass section. I love my Ascents, but I'm a realist too :).

I've just ordered a Depth to reinforce the low bass that the Ascents lack. Using a test tone sweep, there is an abrupt roll-off in bass around 35hz for the Ascents.

I auditioned the speakers both with and without a sub, and the sub helps alot with the punch on some of the types of music that I listen to. I just didn't have the cash at the time to get that and the speakers. Ignoring the additional cost, a Descent would be overkill for the room I'm in.

Anecdote:
The sales guy I buy my stuff from owns Ascent is, and has two Descents... in an apartment... I bet his neighbors hate him :)

SteveInNC, thank you for the reply.

I am running Ascent I with a Descent and am very impressed with the combination. Mind you adding an extra Descent would be interesting - not sure that my room would warrant it and more importantly I think the wife would divorce me :)

Cheers
Marc.

Back