"I want what you have"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wipper snapper

Reaction score
with Martin Logan speakers; well the good people from Sound Advice were back on Thursday. The Summits still sound like "a cheap speaker" to quote my wife who has a way of getting to the point. This time it was the salesman and the field supervisor. People I have known for over six years. They both seem to agree that something isn't right. No blame shift, no finger pointing.

So a phone call was made to the local M/L rep; Chris. The gentlemen from Sound Advice are pretty sure that the problem is with the Summits but Chris wants to confirm their diagnosis. So today (Saturday) I hooked the Summits up to a completely different system. The only things that were not changed were the speakers, the (speaker) power cord, the house wiring and the electrical service (utility company transformer,elecrical service, house panel and house wiring.

The second (show me) system consisted of: Conrad Johnson CT5 pre/amp, Cary Audio 211 mono blocks(tube) power amp, Acoustic Zin speaker cables, Harmonic Technology interconncts and a SimAudio Orbiter universal player.

I reported back with the results. The Summits still sound like a "cheap speaker".

If you don't know what I'm talking about:; it's a 9 transistor radio speaker that is driven too hard.

You mean that AFTER the supposed repair, they still sound the same (or worse)? Did they replace BOTH amp modules, or do something else? Was the repair person happy with their sound when he finished?

In your introductory ML Club post, you stated you bought the Summit to replace the Vantage. How did the Vantages sound?

It wasn't the amp module (like yours); it was a smaller pc board. I can say with qualified confidence that the reason that the salesperson brought the field supervisor with him on the second trip was for a second confirming opinion.(he owns ML Prodigies) As for as the Vantages go, I truly didn't give them a fair chance. Some of which was due to discussion on this board ( I certainly have no personal responsibility) ;) as for application in a large (volume) room.(19x27x22)

His remark after the system swap leads me to beleive he already knew there was something a miss. " It's the speakers, isn't it?"

As an additonal qualifier to all of this; in my house we also have: a pair of NOLA Viper Reference speakers which are normally paired with the tube stuff. There is also a pair of Klipsch KSP4s that my daughter uses with a Sony receiver. I won't even mention the humility that now makes me a complete person. :D

Last edited:
Actually, Craig (also in Tampa) has the Summits, which required repair. I currently have Aerius i's, but will be auditioning the Vantage and Summit at my local Sound Advice shortly. Are you near Tampa by chance?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back