I suggest a group order of panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That raises an interesting question. What would the shelf life be of a pair of replacement panels that remained packed away? How long could they sit in storage and still function perfectly? There has to be some deterioration eventually, even if they are not being used, right?

Obviously, I was considerig the possibility of buying a spare set of panels to keep in storage until that day, still long in the future, when the existing panels on my Summits need replacing. It doesn't make sense to do this if the prices (not to mention the company) are stable, but it could be a good move if the panels get to be a lot more expensive or become entirely unavailable. An interesting idea, anyway.

That raises an interesting question. What would the shelf life be of a pair of replacement panels that remained packed away? How long could they sit in storage and still function perfectly? There has to be some deterioration eventually, even if they are not being used, right?

Really good question...

Hey guys,

Can't remember what thread but Rich researched this, and based on what he found, there shouldn't be any if properly stored.

Maybe Rich can repost on this subject.

Having said this, it would be good to get ML's take on the issue.

As for me, no plans to buy an extra set. I believe future technology will render this a moot issue.

GG

Last edited:
Or maybe Martin Logan can set up order dates possibly biannually to order panels. This way they can manufacture the Panels in such a way they can defray setup costs, inventory costs and it will not interfere with their work flow thus making it more profitable to keep manufacturing them.

Last edited:
It looks like the same size panel in the Sequel II, SL3, Ascent, and Odyssey; but are the panels actually the same? IOW if one orders a replacement for any of these, does one get the same panel? If so these would be very in-demand replacements not likely to be discontinued (and I suspect they're actually a nice money maker), and ML is perhaps running out of stators or whatever for some of the rarer older models (or doesn't make money on them) ?

Don't know about the SL3 or the Sequel II but the Ascent i and the Odysessy share the same panel.

The Ascent can be upgraded to the Ascent i panel and the aluminum cone woofer while you're at it.

The panels will only stay new if they are vacuum sealed.That is the only way to make sure nothing from the outside gets to them.Nobody mentions,what happens if you buy a pair and one of the panels is bad or goes bad in less than a year.You are stuck with it because you let them sit through their warranty period.If you have Monolith's or CLS's you just threw away $1500-$2000 for a year or less.You cannot even compare discontinued drivers versus panels.You can always pick up an aftermarket woofer that is close or just as good as the original.Many companies like B&W discontinue drivers but you can put or upgrade their drivers with the newer line.A panel if they are discontinued makes the speaker worthless.Hopefully someone(Jim Powers) will decide to produce panels that are discontinued since ML no longer feels that these people are important to their business outlook.I have talked to Jim, he and Gayle Sanders used to assemble the speakers themselves when the company was first started.

So unless the panels are vacuum sealed they will go bad in a year?

No.I said that the only way to keep dust or outside pollutants 100% away from them is to vacuum seal them.The panel going bad is a differant issue.What if you buy a set of panels and get a bad one or it fails within a year or two.If you keep your new panels in storage for 5 years,there is no warranty.The warranty covers from when you purchased them,not when you started using them.I know it may be a rare occasion this happens but if it does it could possibly cost you up to $2000.There have been some forum members who have either gotten a bad panel out of the box or had trouble years before the warranty has expired.I really do wish if they discontinue panels that someone such as Jim Powers will continue to produce them.His loyalty to ML fans,has my and everyones admiration on this forum.If he produced the panels you would be guaranteed that he would do anything to make them the best possible.I would definitely trust him long before the new owners and PR propaganda that is being spewed right now.

No.I said that the only way to keep dust or outside pollutants 100% away from them is to vacuum seal them.The panel going bad is a differant issue.What if you buy a set of panels and get a bad one or it fails within a year or two.
I think people are going off the deep end on all of this. Wait to see what ML decides then more forward, otherwise this is all just "the earth is flat" type talk.

IMO, a person would be dumb not to test out new panels when you receive them. You do not have to fully install them to make sure they work. You can then easily cover them back up and have them in a controlled environment and they would be fine. How many people have bought ML's from folks that have had them in storage for many months and they are fine?

Jim making panels?? Really?? Quite an investment for him and what is really the demand for older speakers panels to make it a viable business. We are not quite in the .NET economy at the moment.

Why not Mr. Powers.If he is retired it would be a great investment.There is a retired gentleman by the name of Dave Sauter that has taken over the Carver ribbon business.He seems to be doing fine and enjoying it.If you are going to take the panels out of the packaging to check them out,why not just leave them in and put your older panel away for backup.By your accounts they will be just as good as the day you packaged them.This will allow you to take advantage of the new panels 5 year warranty.People with legacy products should be worried since ML's own rep stated that they are going to discontinue some panels.He comes on here and tries to placate people by saying that they are still deciding.I think he put his foot in his mouth and is now regretting it because so many people have called him out on it.He still has not given anyone a straight answer on the subject. Everything about the takeover of ML has been calculated and methodical.If you think they do not know or have an idea of the panels that are being discontinued,you are being unrealistic.

To be carried out through the auspices of this forum directly to ML,before the supply dries up.I,personally,would be interested in a pair of panels for CLSs.
Raanan

and preferably before they move into their new Canadian facility. It's too late, it appears the move began 3/27.

I wonder how their move to Canada is going to affect shipping costs for panel replacements? Duty, and int'l shipping rates don't excite me.:mad:

Back