I purchased a Depth i today and I live in Europe. Can I connect it to a 220V? Thank you

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazvanG

Reaction score
47CD203B-7A3D-4BCC-922C-45912ACDE5E5.jpeg

No, as the sticker indicates it's wired for 120V. Hopefully it can be re-wired internally for 220V.

Yes, that might work until you get it rewired. Make sure it's heavy duty enough to power a subwoofer amp.

I don’t know if someone can rewire it here in Romania. I think I will use it like this.

I would contact ML support.
I live in Uruguay, a 230V/50Hz country, I recently bought a used pair of Montis in the US and imported them
ML support send me a detailed step by step guide on how to set up them for 230V, photographs included
It was a 10 minute job.

I would contact ML support.
I live in Uruguay, a 230V/50Hz country, I recently bought a used pair of Montis in the US and imported them
ML support send me a detailed step by step guide on how to set up them for 230V, photographs included
It was a 10 minute job.

Gvera, thanks for your report. As I understand it used to be quite different in years past, where ML discouraged gray imports from USA and used a circuit which did not energize correctly if 50 Hz was used. Or perhaps whether ML HQ helps foreign customers directly depends on whether there is a local ML dealership available who has exclusive rights to sell and service ML?

RazvanG: The fact that there are fuse ratings also for 220V printed on the back indicates that it would be straightforward to convert it internally, and someone familiar with simple electrics should be able to make that swap for you. With a bit of luck and modern design, it might not even need soldering, just reconnecting....

Gvera, thanks for your report. As I understand it used to be quite different in years past, where ML discouraged gray imports from USA and used a circuit which did not energize correctly if 50 Hz was used. Or perhaps whether ML HQ helps foreign customers directly depends on whether there is a local ML dealership available who has exclusive rights to sell and service ML?

RazvanG: The fact that there are fuse ratings also for 220V printed on the back indicates that it would be straightforward to convert it internally, and someone familiar with simple electrics should be able to make that swap for you. With a bit of luck and modern design, it might not even need soldering, just reconnecting....
Hi Tosh,

I was aware of the policy regarding grey imports, that's why I contacted ML before buying the Montis, telling them honestly what I wanted to do and how much a 220V power board would cost.
They simply replied with the conversion instructions for the Montis and Summit X (also being considered).
I believe that being the Montis a discontinued model and not having a ML dealer un Uruguay helped.
I don't encourage grey market purchases, back in the day there was a ML dealer here and I bought my previous ML's Odysseys from them (20 years agol)

The Depth i is also a discontinued model he might be lucky and receive the info.

As you mentioned, there is a circuit that checks Hz in the mains. That's the only mod I had to do, cut away a resistor to disable that circuit. The power supply in the Montis is automatic multivoltage.

Last edited:
Interesting! So perhaps the same 'anti-50Hz' circuit is still in the ESL models?
On diyaudio.com a member explained how that circuit worked, and it seemed suited for a ESL HV circuit, but perhaps not as suitable for a sub?

As I remember the story it was the British ML dealers in the late 80's seeing lots of grey market MLs come to them for service, and realizing how much profit they were missing out on demanded that ML do something to prevent it, and that AC frequency circuit thing is how they caved to the dealers' demand.

I wrote to Matin Logan. I will keep you posted if they will really. Thank you

Attachments

• AD726C23-874F-4488-9415-30A357350080.jpeg
    AD726C23-874F-4488-9415-30A357350080.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
ML answered me and told me that they don’t have parts for the Depth i. I also wanted to purchase a top for the subwoofer to match my speakers.

Attachments

• 4FA89ED7-8E11-40CC-8AE7-694B966EB65C.jpeg
    4FA89ED7-8E11-40CC-8AE7-694B966EB65C.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
I expected the re-wiring to not need any parts, so perhaps they misunderstood you?

This is the answer

Attachments

• 0553A871-844A-46F8-B556-65DCD655A9B7.jpeg
    0553A871-844A-46F8-B556-65DCD655A9B7.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 27
Sorry about the bad luck, RazvanG!
But it works on your step-down transformer, right?

Latest posts

Back