I need help: ML Ascent or ML Aeon i ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello from germany

I use the ML Scenarios but now i want to buy better Logans and i have two offers from a ML dealer here in germany:

the ML Ascent ( not the "i" version ) and the ML Aeon i.

My question are which is the better speaker ? the Ascent ( bigger but older ) or the Aeon i ( smaler but newer techn. ) ?

"auf wiedersehen" from germany
Andre

I vote for the Ascent.

You could upgrade the Panels and woofers to “i” status later but the difference is very small.

Image said:
Hello from germany

I use the ML Scenarios but now i want to buy better Logans and i have two offers from a ML dealer here in germany:

the ML Ascent ( not the "i" version ) and the ML Aeon i.

My question are which is the better speaker ? the Ascent ( bigger but older ) or the Aeon i ( smaler but newer techn. ) ?

"auf wiedersehen" from germany
Andre
Vote for the Ascent also...bigger stat panel, deeper bass and wider image. Both are great speakers, but the Ascent is more robust at lower notes...the mid range is a little bit better, the highs about the same...even that the Aeon i has a tweeter at its back, firing to the ceiling...spatial control, open the scenario. Hope this can help, happy listening,
Roberto. :D

I second Roberto's vote for Ascent. However, if you wish to upgrade to i version, be aware that the woofer is different, also. ML sells a kit for the conversion. I believe the price (in American $) is about 900 - 1,000.

Oops - zip told you about the woofers already - sorry!

I would also go for the Ascent!

When I purchased my Ascent-i's, I actually auditioned the Ascent (non-i) alongside the Aeon-i. While both speakers are excellent, I found while listening to a Beethoven violin sonata that on descending passages in the piano, I could hear a chestiness develop in the lower midrange of Aeon-i that was not present in the Ascent. Maybe this is caused by the x-over occurring at 500Hz (just above the A above middle C) on the Aeon, whereas the x-over is at 250Hz (just below middle C) on the Ascent. I suspect that the 250Hz x-over is tonally more benign, as it occurs at a less crucial point in the musical spectrum. Then again, I could be full of you-know-what, and the electronics could simply have favoured the Ascent in this audition.

When it comes to Ascent vs Ascent-i; well I purchased Ascents, but they were damaged upon arrival, so I had them for a week until Ascent-i's arrived as their replacement. Between the two, I would say that the only really audible difference was in the bass, where the Ascent-i is noticeably punchier (with rock music) and faster, whereas the Ascent might reveal more timbre and texture with instruments like 'cello. I would consider the Ascent and Ascent-i as interchangeable - differences in sound, yes, but equally enjoyable. Swapping out the parts to turn an Ascent into an Ascent-i will get you a slightly different sound, but I would not consider it a sonic upgrade.

Whichever speaker you end up with, I bet you will love them - they are both great speakers.

Ascent i has an aluminum woofer which the older Ascent does not. The faster woofer probably mates more correctly with the faster panel. The i is the more accurate speaker, but it may not be significant to you. Try to hear both and make your decision based upon what you hear. If you like the i better, you can always opt to make the change at a later date.
Just my 2 cents.

@skySaw: Thanks for the answer. But the question are not "Ascent" vs "Ascent-i" but "Ascent" vs "Aeon-i".

By the way: The room are 6x5m and i use a Theta Cassanoca Preamp, a Theta Intrepid Poweramp and the Theta Carmen CD/DVD drive.

"viele Grüße" Andre

Image said:
@skySaw: Thanks for the answer. But the question are not "Ascent" vs "Ascent-i" but "Ascent" vs "Aeon-i".
I know - I gave my opinion on the Ascent vs Aeon-i question in the first paragraph of my post. As other posters were mentioning that you could always upgrade from Ascent to Ascent-i, I gave my opinion that the Ascent and Ascent-i are equals (IMO) in the second paragraph. I included that information in case you were concerned that the newer technology in the Aeon-i might render an advantage over the older technology in the Ascent.
Sorry I was not clearer.

Aliveatfive said:
Ascent i has an aluminum woofer which the older Ascent does not. The faster woofer probably mates more correctly with the faster panel. The i is the more accurate speaker...
I'm not convinced that this (accuracy) follows. Speed is not the only criterion for an accurate speaker driver. Aluminum cones may not be more tonally accurate than paper ones. Other than the woofer response speed, what leads you to conclude that the i is a more accurate speaker? (Not trying to be contentious, I would just like to hear what you are hearing).

Sky -

Honestly I never heard the non i version, but many respected periodicals claimed that the newer version was more accurate. MLs have been criticized in the past for having a woofer not well-mated to the panel. The reviewers have said that the new woofer is much less discontinuous than the old and not recognizable as a separate entity.

@marknewbie:

....Thats not possible: the Ascent are in switzerland ( 600miles away from me ) and the AEON i 450 miles away from here :(

"grüße" andre

@Image

I think I am hearing: "Ascents"... "Ascents"... "Ascents"...So it looks like everyone voted for Ascents so let's go for it.

/Transpa.

Transparent said:
@Image

I think I am hearing: "Ascents"... "Ascents"... "Ascents"...So it looks like everyone voted for Ascents so let's go for it.

/Transpa.

Dont forget the Tweeter sale... try to pricematch if they can. If not, do some travelling... heck I would go on a landtrip to save $1400 bucks. :)

What's wrong with your Scenarios?

Hi Image,

Just curious to know what is it about your Scenarios that you would like to improve upon.

Cheers

Hi Acoustat:

I want to use the Scenarios as Surround speakers for my 5.1 system now. The Ascent ( or aeon i ) are for the front, together with the ML cinema i centerspeaker

"viele grüße" from germany , Andre

Latest posts

Back