I have the new prices if anyone is interested. Effective on August 16th still some time to same, If youre looking at BF210 sub now is the time.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaVinci Media

MLO Vendor
Reaction score
Prices are going up different amounts depending on product. Most in 10% ballpark. For instance Masterpiece floor standing going up 10% for standard finishes. Largest increase is Balance Force subs. They are going up $500 each. So if you are looking at the BF210 especially good time to buy. Let me know if there is any specific item you'd like the new price on. We have til the 16th.

Last edited:
Shawn,

Really, this could be addressed to anyone with the background and direct experience who can answer.

I am currently using an 1100X subwoofer in my system, and for HT I'm not unhappy with it in the least. I'm currently using my streamer (Lumin T2) at my office, so I haven't done any critical listening at home; my only experience with the 1100x is for HT, to date.

Can anyone comment on the BF210 vs the Dynamo 1100X?

The 1100x - in particular, with Martin Logan's microphone (the PBK - Perfect Bass Kit) - is brilliant. But if the BF210 is massively better, I may place an order before the price increase...

Hi Shawn, I have not heard the 1100X. But I have owned the 210 for several years now. I can tell you that it is jaw-dropping good - perfect for music, lightning-fast, detailed bass to match the stats (I have the Theos). It is great for HT also without a doubt. I highly recommend it.

Shawn,

Really, this could be addressed to anyone with the background and direct experience who can answer.

I am currently using an 1100X subwoofer in my system, and for HT I'm not unhappy with it in the least. I'm currently using my streamer (Lumin T2) at my office, so I haven't done any critical listening at home; my only experience with the 1100x is for HT, to date.

Can anyone comment on the BF210 vs the Dynamo 1100X?

The 1100x - in particular, with Martin Logan's microphone (the PBK - Perfect Bass Kit) - is brilliant. But if the BF210 is massively better, I may place an order before the price increase...
I feel that the Balance Force speakers are much better for music. They were designed to integrate with the higher end MLs like the masterpiece series. I also prefer multiple drivers, they typically provide a flatter bass response and the balance force design eliminates cabinet vibrations.

Shawn, you have email...

The Absolute Sound review - from 2015 - evaluated these in a pair. Do most BF 210 owners use them as a single subwoofer in their systems, or do they go with a pair?

Last edited:
Well . . . I am a nut. But I use a pair of BF 210’s up front with my 2 channel system and add a Dynamo 1500 and a BF212 for home theater use. I didn’t plan it this way, but it is a slippery slope. And after I spend some more time with multi-sub optimizer in REW. I’ll probably use all four subs all the time.
The BF 210 is fast and musical. I have used them with Magnepan 20.1s, Quad ESL 57, Carver ALSs and ML ESL-11As. They can integrate with anything.

I also prefer multiple drivers, they typically provide a flatter bass response and the balance force design eliminates cabinet vibrations.
Yep, a major design win for this line over the Dynamo series. A must if music listening is the priority over HT.

Shawn, you have email...

The Absolute Sound review - from 2015 - evaluated these in a pair. Do most BF 210 owners use them as a single subwoofer in their systems, or do they go with a pair?
Do you think you could send me a text or call me on my mobile 414-975-5986 please? I’ve got some personal stuff going on with my mom and I would see that a lot quicker. Thanks!

Hi Shawn,

Is the price changing on the the PBK - Perfect Bass Kit? If so, I am interested in ordering.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the comments about the BF series. I'm convinced to get at least one, and possibly two.
I'd say you would be really happy with two, and you could do an improved version of what I'm doing. I use 4 Dynamo 1100X subs in a two pair configuration, left and right with the Expressions, then use a 800X in the back of the room for smoothing a null at 60-70Hz that appears when both left and right are playing mono bass.

With two BF210's up front, and your 1100X in back - if needed - it would be a similar setup, but with much better subs in front.

The dynamics of what I've got setup are fantastic, so I can only think it would be outstanding with the Balanced Force subs.

Shawn was kind enough to work with me while he was away from his office, coordinating an order for two with my non-standard finish preference. I don't know that I'll be running them symmetrically, but it'll be interesting to see how things optimize with the dual sub setup.

I read a very interesting "outtake" in a buyers' guide about optimizing phase for subs. Basically, you use a tone-generator app on your phone or tablet, set to the crossover frequency for the sub. You reverse the black and red wires on each of your main speakers so they're out of phase, then you play the tone. Keep changing the phase control until you hear the least amount of bass and you're done. Then just fix the red/black wires on the main speakers so they're back in phase.

I'll do that, then do the PBK corrections, break 'em in and re-run the PBK process, and hopefully be grinning ear to ear.

Thanks Shawn!

I'd say you would be really happy with two, and you could do an improved version of what I'm doing. I use 4 Dynamo 1100X subs in a two pair configuration, left and right with the Expressions, then use a 800X in the back of the room for smoothing a null at 60-70Hz that appears when both left and right are playing mono bass.

With two BF210's up front, and your 1100X in back - if needed - it would be a similar setup, but with much better subs in front.

The dynamics of what I've got setup are fantastic, so I can only think it would be outstanding with the Balanced Force subs.

I am going to try to put it in a metaphor! The 210 is like Sugar Ray. It punches lighting fast and retracts back in the same way. The 212 which is a remarkable sub is like Iron Mike. It punches with lots of weight but is not as lightning fast as the 210. Do not get me wrong, the 212 is a marvelous sub. So that is why the 210 is more suitable for music first and HT second. I believe the 212 is in reverse order. So at the end, you must decide how you want to be tortured by these bad boys!!!!!

But seriously, these two subs have been out for roughly 10 years and are so outstanding that ML just does not want to replace them yet. That is a testimony of how good they are. By the way, if you are getting one of these, make sure you pony up and get the PBK kit - makes a noticeable difference.

Thanks Northy. I'll back up your PBK comments. Before the PBK, the 1100X was kinda tubby sounding, even after running the ARC corrections in the receiver that's running it. After the PBK, it was like a totally different sub. Gone was the sloppy boom, yet there was impact from the bass signal.

I'm sure the results will be even better with two BF-210s.

Back