I hate Martin Logan Speakers!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flykmair

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i knew that would get your attention. :D Let me try to explain and see if any of you agree with my statement.I bought a Depth i sub used and the sub was so so tight, work fantastic with music. So like any audio nut i decide to audition main speakers. Mind you my depth i broke in 4 days, but while it worked i was inlove. Then, It all started on April 25, 2008. I heard a set of source at Best buy and said boys those suck. I then went to a Martin Logan independent dealer and bingo, within 10 minutes i was drooling. I walked out of that store with a already broken in pair of Source and a Motif for my center channel. 2 days before i had purchased a pair of script i's online. So I go home and hook up my new system and love it. So you ask why i hate them, heres why!

I used to bracket races in the early 80's at OCIR in california, anyone whom has bracket raced knows we try for perfection. We will train and run practice races outside of compitions to perfect ourselves. Then we spend endless money we dont have on the best fixes for our cars. This is so much like owning Martin Logans, we are always trying to make them better and better. I have spent days making minor changes to my room, reorganising furniture, moving equipment from one wall to another and measuring distances from rear wall, side wall, front wall. You name it i have down it. So I am playing the sources on a Denon avr-3808ci and I not satified, so what do i do?

Like anybody with an addictive personality and no money to burn I decide lets upgrade.. :rocker: So I Order a pair of Vista's and return the Motif and Sources to my dealer within 7 days. I also order new amp, pre-amp, dedicated sacd,cd player and a matching center for the Vistas.So now im a week into May, receive my vista, new center and amp, pre-amp and sacd player and yes a new depth i to replace my bad one since ML couldnt even fix it. I like any audio nut plan out how to set this up, I measure and decide proper placement for the new gear. I spend the next 3 days hooking this up, moving things making adjustments and waiting for the new equipment to break in. Then a red light on my new Depth i, the top control panel lost its ground, send my sub back to ML and keep tinkering with my setup. I finally put the spike on the Vistas and the world tightens up and another quality appears for no money spent. Every adjustment or postion change makes them sound wonderfull, a half inch here or there is like audio nirvana.

So ML is working on my sub, i decide lets get a better universal player than my denon dvd-3930 ci and i read reviews and shop around. I stumble across a new lexicon RT-20, sure it only does 1080i, but there 720p and 1080i is on par or even better than the denon, plus the ausio is a whole new world. The music is smoooth and life like as if Karen carpenter is in the room 10 feet from me singing. The Piano sounds so clean, you can hear ever detail unaltered and each inperfection in the recordings. the sound sound is wide but clean and the sound just captures your heart. So being an additcive audio nut, I say lets do a deicated tube 2 channel for night music. I read reviews and decide lets go 2 channel Tube integrated so i can always use this in another room. I read review after review and narrow my choices to 4 and with the help of a fellow member hear decide on jolida Jd-1000rc.

Meanwhile ML fixes my depthi and ships it out and im suppose to get it on friday May 23, 2008. One of the two things they send show up, so i call UPS and ask where is my sub and the say its scheduled to be delivered today, but it will take awhile. I ask Why. They say its in Tempe Arizona but youll have it today. I ask UPS how can it get from tempe Arizona to me today If I live In Arkansas. She says good question. The holiday passes and UPS losses the sub. They find it on tuesday and ship it to me on wens overnight airmail. When I heard i was getting my sub on thursday i said, lets get that tube amp. I call them thursday and get myself a killer deal with overnight shipping. I received the tube amp today and I am ready to have a heart attack. I have entered another state of ecstasy.

So the reason i hate ML speakers is I am always looking to improve what I have! I have changed cables, wires, amp, pre-amp, cd, dvd, universal players, added a tube amp, change my room, bought a new recliner, the list just goes on and on. And last i keep spending money on new SACD, DVD-audio and find myself staying up all night listening to music. As soon as i wake up I want to turn it on and lose myself in its audio heaven! Its like having an orgasim, you are never satisfied with just one! :bowdown:

So if your looking for me, you know where to find me, i am in my room in the dark listening to my sweet sweet ML and hating every minute I am not in that room with them.

Best wishes to all, Mike

6-2-08 While getting ready for doctors appointment I was still thinking and wondering why my left speaker was a bit more pronounced. I had been changing evrything for 3 dang days. I tried put things in the corner, on the wall, sides heck even hung something from the roof behind it. Well I finally figured it out, the TV stand (which you will see when I post my system) was hole Inch and a half closer to the left speaker and the sound was bouncing off the the Tv a bit more on the left side making it more dominate, go figure. LOL

I would like to thank everyone for their post to all my post and hope everyone here has a fantastic and safe week. Mike

Last edited:
I frequently ask myself where are the limits of those speakers. I'm currently developing a high end audio device and can only say that there is no better speaker for determining even the subtlest differences in sound than electrostatic (and MLs in particular, of course) - the only exception being maybe the ribbons - provided that the rest of the system is good enough.
By their nature these speakers are merciless in discovering the shortcomings too :D
That makes them the wonderful instrument of enjoyment and a great professional tool.

I counted them up and over the years, and I just realize I've hated eight different models. I even hate some I don't have anymore. Someday I'll replace my HT mains with a new model to hate since I don't seem to hate the mains I currently have quite enough!

I thought that's what the title of this thread was going to mean! :D

I don't think that I'm anywhere as additive a audiophile as others on this board, but then I look at what I've got in my system and I'm completely amazed! (Just check out my system link and you'll see what I mean. :eek: ) In my mind, I've simply got this little system that I've incrementally evolved with better and better equipment over 15-20 years. Then earlier this year I had to figure out a replacement cost for my homeowners insurance, and I find out that the total amount is more than what my wife and I paid for either of our first two houses! :eek: Go figure.

This hobby is worse than crack ! It will drive ya crazy !

You need to join a joeyitis recovery group. Check your phone book for a local group.

"Hi, I'm Rich, and I'm an audioholic."

For me, i just left the forum for a while to cool down. But, then, my brother emailed me a great deal on the Sony PS3 ($399 - $100 gift card at Walmart)...and here we go again, i am back on this forum. I made changes to my room in anticipation of the great sound from Blu-Ray discs! But, i am assuring my wife that is where it stops...no more upgrades............................................for now. :p

YA RIGHT. I told her that when I went out and bought a pair of Polk Monitor 70's and a Denon 2307:rolleyes:. I am very content right now with my system but I can't get few certain pieces (PS3, Depth i, Wadia ipod dock) out of my head. It is amazing, if I leave this site for about a week everything is great. As soon as I start participating again it all goes to hell.

Back