I got sucked in...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsiroky

Reaction score
I listened to the clarity's, then the vista's, then the vantages.... next thing I know I'm dreaming about ML's every night.

.... not that I wasn't tempted by the Paradigm 100's, but when I logged on to craigslist today and saw a pair of Aeon's for $1200, I had to rush straight over there and have a listen.

I talked the guy down to $1000, now these things are sitting at home hooked up to my media center PC & an Adcom 5400 amp and I can't believe how much better it sounds than the JBL E100's I sold a week ago for $500.

it's got to be the most satisfying $500 audio upgrade i've ever spent. The closest thing I remeber to this was perhaps buying the Outlaw LFM-1 and adding it to a home theatre setup that had no sub.

I love my ML's already, and plan to spend the weekend rediscovering my music collection.

of course... I'm already starting to think about buying a velodyne sms-1 and maybe borrowing the Outlaw LFM-1 from my home theatre room to see how much better it sounds with a sub, but I digress.....

I wonder if I'll ever be able to go back, or if it's going to kick of an urge to upgrade my whole home theatre room next.... or a tube amp.

this is a fun... but bad hobby....

:welcome:

Oh my goodness, you're well and truly hooked, now. Unbeknownst to you, your MLs were a carrier of a little known but virulent bug we have named Joeyitus, after one who had (has?) an extremely severe case, Joey_V. The symptoms include an acute discrimination against anything less than the 'perfect' sound, an ongoing refinement of what you beleive 'perfect' really is, and an uncontrollable urge to chase 'perfect' by upgrading your audio equipment.

This malady does have an upside, though, as those infected find they get more and more enjoyment and just pure pleasure out of listening to the wonderful sound they get from their system. Most of us consider it more than a fair trade. :D

There's no turning back now, you have been assimulated, resistance is futile!!

Assimilate.... assimilate... assimilate!!!

You are now one of us!!

:welcome: to the best forum this side of the internet! Where everyone's crazy but helpful at the same time!

Joey :cheers:

There's no turning back now, you have been assimulated, resistance is futile!!

Another Trek fan... I use that quote A LOT! Though I have to admit Star Wars is my all time fav movie(s)...

Welcome to the group, you are in trouble now! :D But it is a GOOD kind of trouble!

Welcome Aboard

Resistance IS futile-- you are now definitely assimilated into the fold! But looks like the Force was with you to steal a pair of Aeon's for $1K.

As they say, once on the Logan track...you'll never go back!

I listened to the clarity's, then the vista's, then the vantages.... next thing I know I'm dreaming about ML's every night.

.... not that I wasn't tempted by the Paradigm 100's, but when I logged on to craigslist today and saw a pair of Aeon's for $1200, I had to rush straight over there and have a listen.

I talked the guy down to $1000, now these things are sitting at home hooked up to my media center PC & an Adcom 5400 amp and I can't believe how much better it sounds than the JBL E100's I sold a week ago for $500.

it's got to be the most satisfying $500 audio upgrade i've ever spent. The closest thing I remeber to this was perhaps buying the Outlaw LFM-1 and adding it to a home theatre setup that had no sub.

I love my ML's already, and plan to spend the weekend rediscovering my music collection.

of course... I'm already starting to think about buying a velodyne sms-1 and maybe borrowing the Outlaw LFM-1 from my home theatre room to see how much better it sounds with a sub, but I digress.....

I wonder if I'll ever be able to go back, or if it's going to kick of an urge to upgrade my whole home theatre room next.... or a tube amp.

this is a fun... but bad hobby....

Aeons for 500 bucks??? my-oh-my.... that is really incredible upgrade. depending on your type of music / your electonics etc.. the aeons are incredible. congrats - enjoy - your listening position with these guys is critical...but once you find it... my - the imaging is just fantastic...

Understand that felling, i've been a musician around 20 years, the older i get the bitchier i listen to music, when i listen, i listen to little details, the notes the breath, etc...

I've been hook with musical instruments, high end guitars for a long long time, but not high end audio till i hook up a ML system for a friend, darn it blew me aways, then i knew i have to have it someday, so here i am, just like u. sadly it's not a cheap addiction at all. but for audio blood it well worth it.

keep souding :)

I know the feeling well. In 1996 I took by brother-in-law by a stereo shop in town to listen to the Aerius speakers (the only ones I could afford at the time) and they had a traded-in set of Quests in primo condition. This was on a Saturday and they delivered them to by 2 bedroom condo on Monday for $1800.

I only had a 1994 top of the line Onkyo receiver at the time, and it wasn't long before I acquired an Acurus 200x3 amp to power the Quests and center channel.

Later, after buying a house and acqiring an ACT 3 SS pre/pro, I picked up an OCM 500 to power the Quests and relegated the 200x3 to centers and surrounds.

Then I had the opportunity to get an Aragon 8008x3 to take the place of the 200x3.

Now I'm looking to upgrade again - it never ends!

I like the Aeon's a lot, but the bass response just isn't what I'd like. I listen to a lot of pop music, some does quite low - Madonna's Erotica album is a good example - for instance tracks such as "rain" or "justify my love" or "erotica". When I listened to these at the store on a paradigm 100 without a sub they sounded great.

The ML's make the vocal's and high end crystal clear and much better than the paradigms. So I bought the Aeon's figuring I would add a sub.

I'm having a lot of trouble integrating a subwoofer.

worth mentioning - I have no preamp, and didn't use an SPL / test tones to calibrate it in. just tried to do it by ear and got frustrated.
I bought a def tech supercube reference which goes down to 11hz, and seemed like it was a good deal, but even when I have the gain on the sub turned up only a quarter - it sounds quite boomy and brings down the nice clarity of the subs. That said, it does add the bottom end that is missing, but the integration seems poor and takes away from some of the definition of the MLs.

I'm probably going to return it and get something else. Maybe an ML Grotto which is at a similar price point.

I don't know if the problem though is the sub, or the room acoustics / integration. Velodyne does a better job with their bass management in the SMS-1 and their DD's. so maybe that's another way to go.

The other thought I had is that it might be related to the way I wired them. I used the high pass filter and ran speaker wire to the subs (not using a preamp so I don't have sub out). I could switch to long RCA cables and use the low pass filter - not sure it makes a difference.

Does anyone have good experience with 2 channel music & integrating a sub? Any tips on getting the sub to blend well with the Aeons?

Last edited:
Try either the Grotto or the Dynamo....

Also.... get SMS-1, it's a prerequisite for the critical 2ch listener.

I bought a def tech supercube reference which goes down to 11hz, and seemed like it was a good deal, but even when I have the gain on the sub turned up only a quarter - it sounds quite boomy and brings down the nice clarity of the subs.
This was the same exact experience I had with the Supercube, and is why I did not purchase it.

I don't know if the problem though is the sub, or the room acoustics / integration. Velodyne does a better job with their bass management in the SMS-1 and their DD's. so maybe that's another way to go.
Sub and room are you two main culprits. SMS-1 will help with the response of the sub in your room. Treating your room for low end problems (EQ and Room Treatments) will help improve things treamendously.

Does anyone have good experience with 2 channel music & integrating a sub? Any tips on getting the sub to blend well with the Aeons?
Yes I do. I believe my integration is very good. Best thing to try without purchasing a new sub is getting the SMS-1 and trying out some room treatment (minimum 4 panels to start in each corner at ear height) from GIK Acoustics or Real Traps.

Dan

I have tried calibrating the room using Windows Vista speaker calibration (which is supposed to be better than tact). I used a studio quality calibration mic.

See link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713073

this didn't help, so I'm hesitant to spend $500 on an SMS-1 to solve the problem.

could be bass traps. seems easiest thing to do in the short term is take the supercube back to magnolia and see about getting a grotto.

I like the Aeon's a lot, but the bass response just isn't what I'd like. I listen to a lot of pop music, some does quite low - Madonna's Erotica album is a good example - for instance tracks such as "rain"...

You gotta hear 'Rain' on a pair of Summits in full flight... OMG! :eek:

I have tried calibrating the room using Windows Vista speaker calibration (which is supposed to be better than tact). I used a studio quality calibration mic.
This is a hard one to swallow....Windows better than Tact - especially coming from a post over at AVS???

Get yourself RoomEQ or ETF and see what type of response you are getting in your room from 20-200Hz. Could be your room is SO BAD with room modes than EQ initially will not solve your issues. You may need trapping first, then some EQ.

this didn't help, so I'm hesitant to spend $500 on an SMS-1 to solve the problem.
Again, if your room is real bad, no EQ out there will be able to correct some of the issues you may be having.

could be bass traps. seems easiest thing to do in the short term is take the supercube back to magnolia and see about getting a rotto.
It's a start, but you may find no matter which sub you use, you will get some very bad response with bass in your room. Typical bad sounding bass can have that one note sound in a room - everything has the same sounding bass

So instead of buying this component and buying that component, only to find out your room is the major culprit, why don't you find out what really is going on with some tests???

But I will say the Grotto is a better sounding sub compared to the Tech Def - IMO.

Dan

As you seem to be considering...build your own! You have to start with a good sub...and then start with the eqing. A crappy sub is going to sound crappy no matter how good your room is. The sub I had on loan before I built mine was so bad, I had to turn it off when I was listening to music (no bass below 80hz was better than what that was giving me. My new sub offers unbelievable enhancement to the sound. The technology is similar to what's in the depth and descent, with output somewhere between the two...for much less (depending on materials you use and your value of your time) Can't go wrong if you ask me. It's the best value upgrade I've ever made.

Latest posts

Back