I did a thing..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejspain

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and did a thing. Probably one of the best things I could've done to compliment my Impressions. Parasound recommends 150hrs of break-in. I've had it 2 days and I can't stop drooling over the sound of this thing. The Impressions really love the 4ohm power they can pull from the A31. It's BIG. Dead silent. Ran it at moderate volume for at least 14hrs yesterday and it barely got warmer than room temperature (AMAZING). The 11As have already impressed me with their lower end but the A31 really grabs hold of the entire speaker and caress' it to give its best....effortlessly. SUPER IMPRESSED. So far, I've only done 2 channel listening and all I can do is smh:eek:...listening to tracks I've listened to over 20 years and they sound brand new...refreshed...more defined...better imaging...newer voices :unsure: almost like remastered recordings...unbelievable. I can't imaging how she will sound after breaking in. An amazing piece of equipment.

Attachments

• 20230126_140956.jpg
    20230126_140956.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230126_211848.jpg
    20230126_211848.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Very very very happy for you!

Keep in mind though that is exactly how you will feel when you swap your 1100Xs for BF210s
Yes, possibly a better next move than a new DAC. Though, way more expensive than he was thinking of for a DAC. Anyway, it's pretty high on my list.

Very very very happy for you!

Keep in mind though that is exactly how you will feel when you swap your 1100Xs for BF210s
I knew you'd be happy to hear I got a new amp...:p:p:p...thanks for the poke 🤛. I wouldn't doubt there's some performance increase between the 210's and 1100X's BUT I assure you, these two 12'lves, cross-corner loaded in my small space (13'x18') are dialed in dang-near perfect...with a little bass trapping...pressurizing my room REAL NICE. The added bass I'm now getting from the Impressions is also a winner-winner-chicken-dinner.

For the life of me I don't know why ML would've remove the ability to remotely manage the 210/212 or have the ability to use the wireless module for easier placement? I love these two features with the Dynamo series.

***A younger me would've said hellz-yea but the more responsible me says, I have ZERO justification for spending $7k on subs...right now.:cool:
Yes, possibly a better next move than a new DAC. Though, way more expensive than he was thinking of for a DAC. Anyway, it's pretty high on my list.
Yea the DAC thing is scrapped. :cautious: for now

Nice one mate!

Very glad you finally found a real power amplifier! I firmly believe you now understand the difference between the term - actual power amplification vs normal amplification... and Parasound is not a regular amp! You will begin to realise the vast improvement in performance compared to the Marantz...

This is what I've always been referring to and simply cannot stress enough, the high current and stable voltages are a must have combination to drive any ESL effectively. You can't have only half or the other, it just doesn't work and so many people continue to use Receivers or amplifiers with far too many bells & whistles, and then complain their ESL's sound too bright or thin... they simply run out of puff!

From having the Parasound, now you'll realise the greater sense of control, drive, life like presence, and most of all the grip it has on stats. Those are the basic elements of a high quality amplifier.

Still to this day, I do wonder why at some hifi shows the ML team demo some of their gear with very entry level amplification... I guess their rationale is to sell more speakers if they can get away with it. Hence, it's a real shame they do this because the moment you use something of far greater quality, the performance just shifts into another dimension! There's no denying it.

Always remember, your system is just as good as the main amplifiers driving it. Especially with ML's and other high performance speakers. If you're using mediocre amplifiers then that's the overall sound you're going to get. If you've using something really tops, ML's can deliver SOTA in a blink of an eye!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Nice one mate!

Very glad you finally found a real power amplifier! I firmly believe you now understand the difference between the term - actual power amplification vs normal amplification... and Parasound is not a regular amp! You will begin to realise the vast improvement in performance compared to the Marantz...

This is what I've always been referring to and simply cannot stress enough, the high current and stable voltages are a must have combination to drive any ESL effectively. You can't have only half or the other, it just doesn't work and so many people continue to use Receivers or amplifiers with far too many bells & whistles, and then complain their ESL's sound too bright or thin... they simply run out of puff!

From having the Parasound, now you'll realise the greater sense of control, drive, life like presence, and most of all the grip it has on stats. Those are the basic elements of a high quality amplifier.

Still to this day, I do wonder why at some hifi shows the ML team demo some of their gear with very entry level amplification... I guess their rationale is to sell more speakers if they can get away with it. Hence, it's a real shame they do this because the moment you use something of far greater quality, the performance just shifts into another dimension! There's no denying it.

Always remember, your system is just as good as the main amplifiers driving it. Especially with ML's and other high performance speakers. If you're using mediocre amplifiers then that's the overall sound you're going to get. If you've using something really tops, ML's can deliver SOTA in a blink of an eye!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
1000% AGREE!!! I am a true believer now. This amplifier has COMPLETELY transformed my system and listening experience. Appreciate the education my friend.

1000% AGREE!!! I am a true believer now. This amplifier has COMPLETELY transformed my system and listening experience. Appreciate the education my friend.
Good to hear, as I gave the A31 a plug on Jan 16. This confirms my sanity, at least for another day or two!

Heartily agree with all. The masterpiece series will reveal all the nuances of quality amplifiers. Was missing my old VTL's MB250's that were just having frequent issues towards the end. after 12 years. I picked up a pair of used VTL MB 450's Series 1 ( 425 W tetrode / 225 W triode) and after a fresher set of tubes are just amazing. Organic, effortless- These stats love quality big power/current. Give it a whirl if you have the opportunity.
Go Eagles

Heartily agree with all. The masterpiece series will reveal all the nuances of quality amplifiers. Was missing my old VTL's MB250's that were just having frequent issues towards the end. after 12 years. I picked up a pair of used VTL MB 450's Series 1 ( 425 W tetrode / 225 W triode) and after a fresher set of tubes are just amazing. Organic, effortless- These stats love quality big power/current. Give it a whirl if you have the opportunity.
Go Eagles
agree 1000%....the stats love the juice. My ignorance was bliss...I didn't know what I didn't know...but I know now. I purchased the 11As right before Christmas and drove them with the Marantz M7055 until the group convinced me to buy a better amp :rolleyes:. Now it feels like or should I say...sounds like I just bought another pair of speakers. Thanks @Big Dog RJ @TiBoneFramer 🤛

12'lves, cross-corner loaded in my small space (13'x18') are dialed in dang-near perfect
My Descent i is not even close to being dialed into my smallish living room--and that was before my Velodyne SMS-1 died. I was getting closer, plugging the parameters from REW into it. But I've never done any serious lugging the thing around or (almost as much of a PITA--it weighs about 100lb) lugging it to the sofa and sniffing around with a microphone or my ears. So now I'm faced with either trying to fix the SMS, looking for another one, or taking the plunge with one or more BF210's. Only the first option is even remotely on my radar screen.

Not the ones I've been to. Mark Levinson and Rogue Audio are the brands I remember driving ML's.
Went to three shows in Texas last year and honestly they all sounded decent.

Show #1 - the 11As with the Marantz MM8077/AV8805A combo.
Show #2 - the 15As with a McIntosh Amp/Pre-Pro combo (not sure the models).
Show #3 - the 13As with a Anthem Amp/Pre-Pro combo (not sure the models).

Last edited:
My Descent i is not even close to being dialed into my smallish living room--and that was before my Velodyne SMS-1 died. I was getting closer, plugging the parameters from REW into it. But I've never done any serious lugging the thing around or (almost as much of a PITA--it weighs about 100lb) lugging it to the sofa and sniffing around with a microphone or my ears. So now I'm faced with either trying to fix the SMS, looking for another one, or taking the plunge with one or more BF210's. Only the first option is even remotely on my radar screen.
word on the street, the BF210 are beasts at a cool $3500 or an open box 1100X from Safe and Sound for $975. In my opinion, the 1100X are great subs for not so large spaces.

word on the street, the BF210 are beasts at a cool $3500 or an open box 1100X from Safe and Sound for $975. In my opinion, the 1100X are great subs for not so large spaces.
Shawn from DaVinci Audio, on here, should be able to save us some $$ on a BF210. it's a significant amount too, totally worth doing because Shawn is great to deal with.I usually buy at a local shop, but they only give me about 10% off list price. Shawn crushed that, and delivery was wonderful.

Last edited:
Shawn from DaVinci Audio, on here, should be able to save us some $$ on a BF210. it's a significant amount too, totally worth doing because Shawn is great to deal with.I usually buy at a local shop, buy they only give me about 10% off list price. Shawn crushed that, and delivery was wonderful.
Oh sweet didn't know we had a rep in the house. Good plug for future reference.

Not the ones I've been to. Mark Levinson and Rogue Audio are the brands I remember driving ML's.
Oh yes, most definitely so. Like I said some of the shows... but all of the private demos I've been to use top flight gear; Dartzeel, CH Precision, Solution, Boulder, Pass Labs XS300, Pass Labs XA200.8 , Vitus Audio and the like. I remember the demo on the Neoliths using Rogue and VAC Statements, that was nearly off the cliff in $$$ as was the case with CJ ART300's and the ARC REF250SE's, very nice amplifiers, true tube classics! Just love those on stats. It's also a highly personal preference.

Cheers to ML stats!
Woof! RJ

I think as much as most of us like to swap and try different set ups, once you get a great power amp, it can be the anchor of your system. And yes, power is a major factor in the set up if I have MLs ( I have the CLSII z panels). After you get the amp you like you can play all day with DACs and sources. Obviously speakers is a big change but ideally, your amp should be up to most any task.

After having Dag, Mac, tube amps etc I wanted to draw the line in the middle somewhere and still be able to drive MLs or whatever and not go cheap or ridiculous $ wise...... This did the trick. Power in gobs with detail that partners well with panels. Happy listening all...

https://www.rotel.com/product/x5

Latest posts

Back