I decided to go with the Ayre MR-X Monos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stesom

Reaction score
Listened to Mcintosh MC501 Monos, ATMA-SPHERE MA1 MKII.3s, Audio Research Ref-210 Monos and the Ayres MX-R Monos.

I can say that using the meters on the Mcintosh was interesting in that they mostly drew 5 watts during my listening but on orchestral music would draw 50 and at times run toward 500 watts. I was listening at what I consider realistic concert levels. So even though the bass is covered the panels can demand a lot of power when reproducing loud passages.

I also have confirmed that the panels low impedence killed the OTL Atma Sphere amp making it sound dull and lifeless so an autoformer or tube amp with transformers such as the ref-210s are required.

All I can say is if you want to get the most out of these speakers you will need high quality power and more is better than less.

The Ref-210s sounded fantastic as did the Ayres so either is a great choice. It really was almost a toss up between the ARC and Arye amps. I just felt the speed and remarkable inner detail with real flesh to the music that the Ayres provided tiped me toward them. The Ayres are also drop dead SEXY!!!!

I will agree with those that are using PASS and PLINIUS that the Summits like power and strong class A biasing.....Steve

Last edited:
So even though the bass is covered the panels can demand a lot of power when reproducing loud passages.

. . . . .

All I can say is if you want to get the most out of these speakers you will need high quality power and more is better than less.

. . . . .

I will agree with those that are using PASS and PLINIUS that the Summits like power and strong class A biasing

My thoughts exactly.

Steve, congratulations on getting great amps. I have always wanted to hear an Ayre amp on a pair of MLs. I do like my Ayre C5xe, tho I have experienced some functional and ergonomic issues with it. I'm hoping you will delight us with a review once you have them broken in!

Steve, congratulations on getting great amps. I have always wanted to hear an Ayre amp on a pair of MLs. I do like my Ayre C5xe, tho I have experienced some functional and ergonomic issues with it. I'm hoping you will delight us with a review once you have them broken in!

Sure will. I have the dealers demo pair now, so they are broken in, but even then they sound poor until they are hot to the touch. I get my new pair tomorrow, not looking forward to up to 500 hours of break-in. But the pair I have now blow me out of the water with what they portray....Steve

The Ref-210s sounded fantastic as did the Ayres so either is a great choice. It really was almost a toss up between the ARC and Arye amps. I just felt the speed and remarkable inner detail with real flesh to the music that the Ayres provided tiped me toward them. The Ayres are also drop dead SEXY!!!!

Congratulations on the new pair of Ayres! That's a fantastic amp, coupled with a high-quality tube pre such as yours, it's pure magic. I've heard them with the Viva Linea and was very impressed with them, despite being SS. Glad to hear they are ML-friendly.

Could you comment more on the Ayre MR-X vs ARC Ref 210 sound? I'm asking because I am looking at amps in that price range and those are some I wanted to compare.

Steve,

How do they compare to the Classe 400?

Also, did you read the April issue of Stereophile? JA was able to induce something interesting with the Ayre MX...

Joey

Steve,

How do they compare to the Classe 400?

Also, did you read the April issue of Stereophile? JA was able to induce something interesting with the Ayre MX...

Joey

I did read the review but what do you mean by induce something interesting???? Review will follow when I get some more time to gather my thoughts

Back