I cheated on Martin Logans.....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Ok ok ok.... it was only an audition!

I'm on a new rotation at the moment and I was out in a suburban hospital doing my medicine thing and this town is pretty ritzy and upper-middle class... I found a nice little audio shop on the side of the road on my way home from the hospital. I decided to wait out the traffic and I went inside.

Inside, I was greeted by some 45 year old guy, or someone atleast twice my age. I asked to see his reference gear. He brought me to the reference room with all the good stuff. I saw a pair of the BW 802D sitting next to some Thiels, Magnepans and Gallos. I wanted to hear the 802D this time around, powered by electronics above the Rotel league.

I asked to listen, he asked me which components I wanted to hear it with. I pointed to the Class CA2200 2 channel amp, the Ayre C5xe CDP, the Ayre K5xe pre... each of which are $5000 a piece. He hooked up all Transparent cables and wires throughout the entire system and hooked everything to Transparent power conditioners.

He fired up the now $40K system.... I sat down.... and I was stunned.

ABSOLUTELY gorgeous sounding from top to bottom. Coherence was great! Imaging was great! Overall tone was superb! I hadnt heard the BW802D sound this great ever... and I know it was the components/electronics running them which made it so. I had this feeling sitting there... that if I had this system, I'd be done. It was over. I looked at the guy and I asked him, "I suppose this is about as good as it gets for reproduced music, huh?"

He replied, "Pretty much... until you go to the ultra-fi products."

Soundstage was deep, instruments were individualized without smear. Vocals had very little if any fuzz around the focus, and the background pallete was as dark as can be. Very black backgrounds, very good transient dynamics, very good imaging throughout. You just had to be there. It was truly an experience, otherwise, I wouldnt waste my time typing up this thread.

Anyway, I had the salesguy switch the Ayre CDP to the Classe CDP202 reference CDP and it completely ruined the sound of the system... nothing like the Ayre.

Now I know why the Ayre C5xe is considered by many as one of the (if not, the) best CDP on the planet without getting into the insane money regions.

I wish I took pics.. but I will leave you guys with some stock pics of the individual components for some eye candy action!

Just wanted to let you guys know... BW *can* sound great.... as long as you treat them right and give them the components they deserve. Expensive? Yes. Good sounding? You bet.

Ayre C5xe CDP
c5xe

Ayre K5xe Preamp
k5xe

Classe CA2200
20040818_105020_FrCg.jpg

BW 802D
bw802.jpg

I love the Ayre equipment. It just sounds right, not hyped like some US products, designed to impress as much as possible (I won't mention any names... :)).

It's a good thing you're a Dr. because you'll need a good salary to keep on upgrading forever. You got it bad man, bad!

Thanks for another entertaining story Joey. :D

If you have SACD and DVD-A media the C5Xe is the way to go. I sent my CX7 back to the factory to update it to the "e" version. I am still going through the my system is down blues. :(

I also love the Ayre CD / universal player. However, in my experiences Ayre amps/ preamps sound flat with Logans and Maggies. If any one knows why, I would like to know. Ayre does sound fabulous with Thiels and B&Ws, though.

David Matz said:
I also love the Ayre CD / universal player. However, in my experiences Ayre amps/ preamps sound flat with Logans and Maggies.
I agree with your statements. The players are nice - a little expensive, but nice.

I did like the sound better with an Ayre compared to a Dreadnaught when I listened to the Summits when the Summits first came out. But still thought there was a much better choice in amps.

My analogy is the Ayre amps sound like they have too much "Ayre" (air). Lacking fullness or involvement - gosh I hate to use these audio terms and trying to think of a better way to put it. Basically the Ayre Amp-Summit combination just did not do it for me.

As before with other components and opinions here, people need to listen to the combo and decide for themselves if they like them or not.

Dan

B&W 802D's can sound totally amazing...

Joey_V said:
I want the Ayre C5xe CDP....
Joey,

Your experience sounds similar to my experience auditioning McIntosh gear with the B&W 802D's. Just incredible sound, huge soundstage and beautiful imagining... I agree - B&W speaker with the right components sound totally awesome. ;)

Hey, did you see 'The Departed'? If so, did you happen to notice all the excellent McIntosh gear in Matt Damon's (charactor's) appartment? :)

:rolleyes: Ayre C5xe... Now I want one too., Joeyitis can be a blessing as well as a curse. :D

..... I think I'll wait til Joey has one and decides to upgrade again! :D

Maybe Abby Rd. Studios knows something???

abbey-rd-classe-2-large.jpg

My first ever taste of the high-end was at a local shop that let me hear their 801s and a pair of ReQuests back in about '98. Needless to say, it changed my life ;)

Joey, Joey, Joey - for how long now have we been telling you that you needed a decent source?

The Ayre is fantastic - I'd love one, and I think it will probably be my next CD Player, however here in Australia it's not quite $5,000 - more like $10,000!

Already having Classe amplification, I know the Ayre source creates fantastic synergy!

amey01 said:
Joey, Joey, Joey - for how long now have we been telling you that you needed a decent source?

The Ayre is fantastic - I'd love one, and I think it will probably be my next CD Player, however here in Australia it's not quite $5,000 - more like $10,000!

Already having Classe amplification, I know the Ayre source creates fantastic synergy!

Amey amey amey....

How long have I told you that wallet needs to heal?

:D :p

I bet I'll beat you to the Ayre.... and I only say this because it's 2x the cost there than here. Although, I could get you one here and send it your way. I bet I could sneak it through customs for ya. :)

Last edited:
B&W Combo Classe...

Joey_V said:
I want the Ayre C5xe CDP....

:(
Joey,

I was checking out the RMAF photo on the sleepysurf link, and I noticed that B&W was again combined with Classe at the show... ;) I wonder if Tim happened to see and hear this combination as well? :confused:

Attachments

• B&W 802D with Classe.jpg
    B&W 802D with Classe.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 612
Joey_V said:
Amey amey amey....

How long have I told you that wallet needs to heal?

:D :p

I bet I'll beat you to the Ayre.... and I only say this because it's 2x the cost there than here. Although, I could get you one here and send it your way. I bet I could sneak it through customs for ya. :)

It's just that your walled seems to heal very quickly!!

I bet you'll beat me to the Ayre too! Sneaking it through customs is tempting! - but not sure if it has a 240-volt switch? A 110v unit might end up being useless here anyway!

Robin said:
Joey,

I was checking out the RMAF photo on the sleepysurf link, and I noticed that B&W was again combined with Classe at the show... ;) I wonder if Tim happened to see and hear this combination as well? :confused:

Robin, I think you and I have uncovered some kind of B&W conspiracy?!?!!! :eek:

;)

The 802D is probably the best speaker B&W makes. It's in my top ten all time best speakers - not as high in the pecking order as the Summits, but still a fine loudspeaker.

Yeah, Okay, you twisted my arm here's my list of favorites in current order of preference...

1. Summit
2. Klipschorn
3. Wilson Audio Sophia
4. Harbeth Monitor 40
5. B&W 802D
6. Magnaplanar 20.1
7. ATC SCM 50
8. Vantage
9. BBC LS3/5a
10. Avantgarde Duo

Robin said:
Joey,

I did indeed see and hear this combination, it was in my day 2 coverage of the show. I've always been a fan of the B&W 800 series. My best friend has 803D's paired with Levinson electronics and it's a very satisfying system. I think the Levinson pairing is a bit better than the Classe gear, but that may just be because I'm more familiar with it having heard it at my friends house fairly often.

Price of this system as pictured with the B&W's and Classe gear was $35K - not bad for a full top end system of this calibre...

Attachments

• Classe01.jpg
    Classe01.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 335
edwinr said:
Yeah, Okay, you twisted my arm here's my list of favorites in current order of preference...

1. Summit
2. Klipschorn
3. Wilson Audio Sophia
4. Harbeth Monitor 40
5. B&W 802D
6. Magnaplanar 20.1
7. ATC SCM 50
8. Vantage
9. BBC LS3/5a
10. Avantgarde Duo

A friend of mine has the Harbeth LS3/5a... seemingly the best LS3/5a's around... he was sure that he won't get any other speakers for the next decade... after he listened to my system, he can't get no sleep anymore.

Back