I can't believe the difference cleaning the panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cduemig

Reaction score
I've heard people doing this when there's problems with their panels, but today my dog chewed up a bottle of lotion from the bathroom. I got a little upset and threw the bottle which threw lotion all over my right Sequel II. I've had them for 3 years now. I decided to wash the panel and clean the electronics while at it. This is the first time I've had them apart.

BTW, to those wanting to do this there's four screws on top of the speaker cabinet that releases the electronics box, then use a small screwdriver to pull off the leads for the panel. Don't worry, they're marked. Then wash gently with lukewarm water and clean with a cloth and fan dry turning them a few times to make sure you get them all. Don't forget to unplug you're logans the night before to ensure you don't get zapped. I cleaned the electronics using a little bit of windex and a rag. It wasn't very dirty though. A toothbrush would do wonders. I also clipped the ends of the wires and stripped back so I had new exposed wire to feed back in.

The reason I post that is when I went to do it, none of the directions said to drop the electronics box (and I didn't even know I could) so I was trying to figure out how to get out the leads...

I cannot believe the difference with the right vs the left. When I bought them, they were bright and I could hear everything and the bass was lacking. After I moved them here (I was out to sea and they were in storage for 8 months) they sounded more bassy and less bright. I assumed it was the room, but now I realize they were just dirty and if you look at the panel you can't even tell that it was dirty. I'm exstatic! I've got my ML sound back! I used to sit and listen to acoustics for hours then stopped because I didn't feel it and it's back! Now I need to get a descent so I can get full range...

Last edited:
cduemig said:
I've heard people doing this when there's problems with their panels, but today my dog chewed up a bottle of lotion from the bathroom. I got a little upset and threw the bottle which threw lotion all over my right Sequel II. I've had them for 3 years now. I decided to wash the panel and clean the electronics while at it. This is the first time I've had them apart.

BTW, to those wanting to do this there's four screws on top of the speaker cabinet that releases the electronics box, then use a small screwdriver to pull off the leads for the panel. Don't worry, they're marked. Then wash gently with lukewarm water and clean with a cloth and fan dry turning them a few times to make sure you get them all. Don't forget to unplug you're logans the night before to ensure you don't get zapped. I cleaned the electronics using a little bit of windex and a rag. It wasn't very dirty though. A toothbrush would do wonders. I also clipped the ends of the wires and stripped back so I had new exposed wire to feed back in.

The reason I post that is when I went to do it, none of the directions said to drop the electronics box (and I didn't even know I could) so I was trying to figure out how to get out the leads...

I cannot believe the difference with the right vs the left. When I bought them, they were bright and I could hear everything and the bass was lacking. After I moved them here (I was out to sea and they were in storage for 8 months) they sounded more bassy and less bright. I assumed it was the room, but now I realize they were just dirty and if you look at the panel you can't even tell that it was dirty. I'm exstatic! I've got my ML sound back! I used to sit and listen to acoustics for hours then stopped because I didn't feel it and it's back! Now I need to get a descent so I can get full range...

Temper is a bad thing! At least you got something good out of it, and hope your doggie enjoyed his chew!

PS - How and where were they stored? Was it a dusty or humid environment? I wouldn't think 8 months of storage would degrade a panel so badly!

I don't know how they were stored, just in a wharehouse I guess. I cleaned the other panel last night. This morning I turned them on and the left panel does sound much better, but still isn't as loud as the Right panel. Should I clean it again? It's not a huge difference, but it's enough for me to notice. I have (as I'm sure most people here have) a very sensitive ear for these things. I could use the amp to balance them out...

It may be due to wall placement too... I have the left one angled in the back toward the hall and the other to a closet door. Unfortunately this room is too small for these bad boys, partially why I never took note of the sound drop off, thought it was the room. Guess I'm gonna have to buy a bigger house for my logans eh? :)

I thought windex wasn't good to use on your panels. Anyone?

I believe he only used the windex on the "electronics" not the panels. :)

David Prall said:
I believe he only used the windex on the "electronics" not the panels. :)
David...This is Correct....Per Jim Power at ML, he had me clean up my Sequel II electronics this way. Make sure you have unplugged your speakers the night before so all power is drained from boards.

After removing board from electronics section, spray windex on the board (don't soak but use enough to clean), scrub around resistors with old toothbrush, etc. to get all the grunge off board and around parts - some coating on the board may also be removed, but Jim said this is ok. Wipe clean with cloth. I then used a fan to blow on it for an hour or so to make sure there was no residual wetness.

Dan

SugarMedia said:
I thought windex wasn't good to use on your panels. Anyone?
I wouldn't let any air-born chemical near my speakers. I can only speculate that most cleaning products are designed to remove contaminants from various surfaces and years of such usage will eventually compound something undesirable.

Then finally the day comes when you feel you are compelled to wash those speakers and Bob's your uncle the active ingredient in windex strips away the conductive coating on the diaphragm.
Please keep the children at distance while express my self. :eek:

enilsen said:
I wouldn't let any air-born chemical near my speakers. I can only speculate that most cleaning products are designed to remove contaminants from various surfaces and years of such usage will eventually compound something undesirable.

Then finally the day comes when you feel you are compelled to wash those speakers and Bob's your uncle the active ingredient in windex strips away the conductive coating on the diaphragm.
Please keep the children at distance while express my self. :eek:

I have an old e-mail from someone at ML which stated that using some Windex on a microfiber cloth (just to moisterize it) was OK. I have been doing this for about 4 years once a month after a thorough vacuuming. Seems to help.

i vaccuum with the grill on. if you are wiping them, how do you get the grill off aeon i's?

cmescia said:
i vaccuum with the grill on. if you are wiping them, how do you get the grill off aeon i's?

You do not wipe the panels at all...the grids or stators are vaccum sealed together with the panels sandwiched inbetween - they are one piece. On the Sequel II's there are two stators, one with the panel, and the other covers the woofer section...I do not have Aeon's so I cannot comment, but they may be the same thing - two parts.

Just to make things clear, in case some get confused...the windex cleaning method I am talking about is for the electronics boards only which are removed from the electronics section (crossover and PS boards) away from the speakers.

Dan

Well I don't know if they still sell them, but at one time ML sold 3m Microfiber cloths online. They were expensive, so I bought the same brand at Wal Mart. The recommendation was to use them to dust the panels after pulling the plug overnight.

Warning...never Use Any Kind Of Fluid To Wipe The Panels...

Hola...never use any other fluid than water to clean the panels. Stay away of cleaning fluids for the stat panels, because they could wash out the conductive coating of the diaphragm and permanently damage the whole panel...use only plain watter to wipe the panels...happy listening!
Roberto.

I took a clean old rag and used sprayed windex on the cloth then wiped down everything. Mine wasn't too dirty though if I had an old toothbrush I would have done it. It's been a few days and the right one is still much louder / brighter than the left. Should I rewash my left panel? I washed it better than the right though therein lies a problem. I washed it more than the other but didn't let it dry as long. I plugged it in and it did nothing so I immediately unplugged it. I looked closely to see some moisture still on the panel so I let it sit overnight. The next morning it worked but not as loud as the other, still an improvement over what it was. I can lower the level of the right, but don't want to do that. Think I might have damaged the film?

BTW, now that I have these things running like new I'm more sensitive to hearing other speakers and I'm dieing to get a sub in my system.

Update Aug 27th 8:30pm:
I got my left one working great. I rewashed it and then vacuumed it right after to help lift all the water and whatever else off. Then I let it sit in front of the fan and flipped many times. After several hours I inspected it and reinstalled, sounds great again! :)

Last edited:
Back