I am really not happy about their warranty policy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliemike

Reaction score
I know that they can't really control the treatment of their products from one customer to another but to not transfer the warranty at all, at any price, is really a huge slap in the face.

I had considered stalking this board and ebay looking for used Claritys but to find out that ML won't honor their warranty if I buy used has completely taken the wind out of my sails.

I'm going to write to ML and complain but I know they'll smile and pat me on the head and then send me on my merry way.

Why would anyone buy used MLs if you get no warranty?

Easy, lower price than you can buy new. Have you ever owned a ML speaker? Failure rate is virtually nill. My brother in law has had his Quests for 13 years with no failures. Most any quality speaker will last for a decade or more troublefree unless you abuse it with a clipping amp. Pass on the Logans and its your loss, someone else will buy them soon.

My Sequel II's (I have owned then 17 years old now) and my CLSIIz's (I have owned them 1 year now) were both bought used, knowing that warranties were not transferable. Some of the best frugel audio purchases that I have made as I paid less than 1/3 of the total cost for both.

(sound of knocking on wood) I have had no major problems with either of them and I sit here basking in elequent sound.

With the Sequel II's I have washed the panels and the electronics after talking with ML about it - but that is due to age and not technical issues. Note no warranty, but ML (Jim Powers) was more than glad to assist me with my issues.

Dan

Last edited:
I bought a used set of reQuests after having Sequels for 16 years. I had some initial trouble with the Sequels after about 2 years. ML was a very new company at the time and once they were fixed under warrantee (replaced panels), they were great for 14 years until I sold them.. They still sounded good.. not GREAT like they used to, and if I would've kept them, I would've purchased a new set of panels and power supplies....

I didn't think twice about buying the reQuests on the used market and haven't had anything go wrong with them at all in almost 2 years.

I'm not sure why companies don't transfer warrantees, but I know that some high end bicycle manufacturers (Cannondale and Kestrel are two I'm familiar with) are the same way...

If I were you, I'd continue to look for Claritys on the used market. Make sure the previous owner took care of them and drove them properly and you should be OK.

Last edited:
To me transferrable warranties are a rarity. I know Bryston offers them... but not sure of any other companies. It certainly adds to the liability of the company offering them.

To me, a big part of the savings buying used is knowing you do not get a warranty. I think this gives some advantage to brick and mortar dealers and, these days, I think that is a good thing. Even out of warranty I think ML offers exemplary service, especially when service with most companies has been in marked decline.

Yea,

The previous owner thing can be huge. I mean, I ONLY use my clarity's for rear surrounds so the wear and tear on them is virtually none! Buying from someone like me would probably be your best bet...but I'm not selling-sorry!

Dominck

Back