I am about to order replacement Stators

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HK-Steve

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am about to order new stators for my Quests speakers
and was thinking about the New Spray Process that ML are now using.

Will my replacement Stators be made using the New Process?
How long ago did they start to use the new process?

I asked these questions to the ML dealer here in Switzerland also,
just after other opinions.

Appreciate any comments
Cheers
Steve

HK-Steve said:
Hi everyone,

I am about to order new stators for my Quests speakers
and was thinking about the New Spray Process that ML are now using.

Will my replacement Stators be made using the New Process?
How long ago did they start to use the new process?

I asked these questions to the ML dealer here in Switzerland also,
just after other opinions.

Appreciate any comments
Cheers
Steve
Hola Steve. the new process has about three years I think, but you could ask this to Mr. Jim Power. He is the ML service manager and also he is a gentleman! His e-mail address is [email protected]
Write to him with no problem and ask him all the questions regarding this new process (vacuum aluminum bonded coated) and what it is the most advantage of this process is that the diaphragm weight less than the air that it moves!!!
Happy listening,
Roberto.
Roberto.

Here is Jim's reply,
I also asked about his opinion on the Music Sensing HV Boards for my Quest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The additional coatings to the film was actually implemented on the run several years ago. After it proved itself in the field, we announced the improvement so I am very confident that any replacements in storage from our distributor will have the upgrade. However if in doubt, let me know what the letters are in the SN# and I can cross reference them.

As for the usefulness of the Sensing power supply; absolutely.
I can base that on the statistics of what has occurred in the field. With nearly 20 years of data available, I can tell you that using the switching system typically extends the life of the panel between 3 and 4 times. Can't argue with success. Yes, the panels do hold some charge for a long period of time but it is an ever diminishing charge from the minute it turns off. You may not notice any change with your ears until about 1000 volts have faded away. There are a lot of things happening on the surface of that film that will be affected by the presence of voltage. These are issues that will affect the panels longevity. I must urge you to either upgrade the boards or simply turn off the AC power manually when not in use. You get the same benefit either way. With the Sensing circuitry, the regulating diodes will remain in a hot/idle mode so there is not warm up issues.
Hope this helps.
jp
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Good info for everyone here.

Cheers
Steve

What are "Music Sensing HV Boards"

Read about the new panels, then "Music Sensing HV Boards" appeared, as welll as Jim Power's response.
What are they? Can they be retrofitted to all M-L's?
Thanks,
Rouvin

Rouvin said:
Can they be retrofitted to all M-L's?

Most Martin Logan all ready has them. The "Music Sensing HV Board" is build into the back of the speaker and monitors the incoming music single, when it senses a single it will power up your panels, after not sensing a single for about 60 seconds it will stop sending power to the panel. It’s why we have a LED light in the front of our Logan’s, so we can monitor when our Martin Logan’s are getting power.

Hope this helps
Joe

The Quest ML's I have always have the Stators HV supply ON, so they attract dust to the Panels. Mine were built in 1991. It wasn't until 1993, that ML started using a newer design which turned off the charge to reduce the tendency to collect dust. Quest-z was an improvement over the Quest by virtue of having a higher impedance (easier to drive) over the earlier unit. The improvement of the ReQuest was that ML eliminated printed circuit boards and went to the robust point to point wiring.

So it is pretty safe to bet, that if your speakers are built after 1993, what ever the model, then you will have Music Sensing HV Supplies installed.

All of this Info I got from Jim.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
A follow up question

All:

I have found this post interesting. I have a pair of Aeon I speakers that are powered directly through wall outlets, but the Amp/Pre-amp is powered through a Monster Power power conditioner that I leave on at all times.

In order to preserve the panels should I power down the power condition or does it not matter if I leave it on or off.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,
From what I have read in the Aeon Manual, they do have the Music Sensing HV Supply.
This would mean that you don't have to worry about unplugging them.

You could drop Jim an email at ML, and ask him. [email protected]

Hope this helps
Cheers
Steve

thinking to change stators?

Hi Steve,

just curious:

Could you let me know the reason why you want to change your stators ?

As a ML Ascent owner, I'm just interrested to know if we have to do this on a regular basis .

Thank for the info

JM

Jean-Marie,
I am replacing my Stators as they have lost a lot of the dynamics.
The Upper frequencies have lost a lot of output, which means I need to increase the gain on them.

I have had a lot of emails to Jim from ML, and he agrees with the replacement.

They are over 14 years old,
I have given them a good vacuum,
and given them the shower method to clean them,

But they didn't return to normal output.

So replacement panels it is,
I will also be switching them off over night and when not in use,
rather than buying the Music Sensing HV Supply boards.
I have control system to do this for me.

I see this is an investment in my speakers, as I will not be upgrading them, and have no plans to. So I will benifit from the Stator change for a long time to come.

I am looking forward to installing the New Stators. :D

Cheers
Steve

stator's update

Oh they are 14 years old, mine have now 5. I'm willing to reserve a little money to the same later

I agree with you that it's the best thing to do if you are still happy with your speakers.

Now I have an idea of the average life time of this

thanks

Back