I’m back!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoner75

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of 13a’s. Is anyone pushing them with PS Audio Stellar 1200’s?

I’m using M1200s with 15As. No problems, sounds wonderful.

I also have a pair of Odyssey Audio Kismet monoblocks that I will eventually swap back in for comparison, but both are outstanding. The M1200s use less power when idle.

Hi. I own a pair of Montis ESLs. Many years ago I auditioned a PS Audio Stellar M300 for several days in my home. I returned it.

What is it about the M1200s ($14K/pair) that especially appeals to you?

Hi. I own a pair of Montis ESLs. Many years ago I auditioned a PS Audio Stellar M300 for several days in my home. I returned it.

I updated my system about 6 months ago, bought the 1200's, Canton Reference 3K speakers and an Ayon CD/Dac. I just wasn't happy with the speakers. I think I was spoiled after having several pairs of ML's for almost 30 years. So I have the amps. Before purchasing them, I read all the reviews and spoke to an acquaintance who writes reviews and pulled the trigger. I like the power of these class D amps and the warmth of the vaccum tube class A input stage. It makes sense to me. I I'm hoping they will sound great! If not, I'll have to replace them.

Hi, the Stellar M1200 were $6K a pair in 2020, don't know if their price has been raised, but they cannot be up to $14K.

By the way I am trying a pair of the smaller brother Stellar M700 with my Montis and they sound dull, boring and dry.
(The M1200 are a newer class D design and have a vacuum tube input stage, so quite a different beast )

Hi, the Stellar M1200 were $6K a pair in 2020, don't know if their price has been raised, but they cannot be up to $14K.

By the way I am trying a pair of the smaller brother Stellar M700 with my Montis and they sound dull, boring and dry.
(The M1200 are a newer class D design and have a vacuum tube input stage, so quite a different beast )
From PS Audio website:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/m1...rH7JGR-3CUuJXNBEAtOzgBOSZU21goA0aAvl8EALw_wcB
"M1200 Amplifier

The Stellar M1200 mono amplifiers are a high power super linear amplifier with a vacuum tube input providing uncompressed performance.
:
Silver, pair

$6,998.00 USD
:"

My Bad. I stand corrected.

I'm pretty sure you'll love the M1200s with the 13As. And if you don't, roll some tubes! (Brent Jesse should be bookmarked in your browser.)

I'm pretty sure you'll love the M1200s with the 13As. And if you don't, roll some tubes! (Brent Jesse should be bookmarked in your browser.)
Funny you should say that. The only thing that was lacking with the Cantons was the high end. So, I swapped the Psvane tubes with Gold Lyons and it made a big difference in the highs, but lost some depth in the mid range. Once I get my 13a's (next week) I may want to switch back, we'll see! Thanks.

Well apparently they just let anybody in here 😉

One of these days I'll finish my speakers with all those parts I got off you.

Question, I'm breaking in my 13a's. Streaming through Tidal. Listen to a lot of smooth jazz and sounds amazing.
Switched to Southern Rock, Marshall Tucker, The Allman Brothers, etc and it sounded terrible. Voices muffled, dull, lifeless.
So, I played the same on CD's, sounded better, but still no punch. Why?

How many hours of break in do you have on them? There can be a number of reasons for what you describe but break in is the most likely. Edit: hopefully cohabitants and neighbors aren't a problem for you. I'll suggest breaking in with peaks in the upper 70 dB range, maybe even in the 80s if you can.

While they're breaking in though, you can still work on physical setup / placement. Start with ML's instructions in the owner's manual, then give a thank you to @ttocs and check out his link here: Speaker set up class

Probably placement, also if those have built in room correction on the bass you might want to play with the settings a bit to get the sound how you want.

I'm about 60 hours into the break in. I have spent a lot of time on placement and think I'm pretty close, with out ARC. So last night I unplugged the speakers, waited about 30 minutes and plugged them back in. After hearing a click from each speaker, I turned on my system and started listening to the same Southern Rock tunes again. Everything sounded great! I know these are not rock and roll speakers, but they sounded as they should have. Maybe these 13a's need to be reset once in a while. In any event all is right now. Thanks @ottocs, msimanyi and Brandon!

Be patient. Depending on how you drive them, it could take several months before sounding their best. The Masterpiece lineup is great but serious about burn-in time and proper setup. @msimanyi is right... @ttocs Speaker set up class is on point. I've had my 11As since January and they started sounding their best around month 3 or 4.

Last edited:
Be patient. Depending on how you drive them, it could take several months before sounding their best. The Masterpiece lineup is great but serious about burn-in time and proper setup. @msimanyi is right... @ttocs Speaker set up class is on point. I've had my 11As since January and they started sounding their best around month 3 or 4.
It's that way too when you replace your panels. It took a good length of time.

My 15As were delivered around September, if I recall correctly. Might've been late in the month or even October. In any case, they're my L/R speakers for the "home theater" as well as the obvious two-channel speakers. They see a lot of hours. I'm now confident they're fully broken in and I've spent a lot of time positioning them over the last couple weekends.

Even a 1/2" move makes a difference, and the last tiny move I made was a HUGE improvement. I was up until almost 2:00 am listening, I was so thrilled with the result.

You should plan on experimenting with placement for a while.

Has anyone had an issue with 13a's booting delay? Meaning I turn on my system and I have no sound. Then after some time, could take up to 10 minutes, I hear each speaker click, then I have music. Weird. Never happened with previous ML's I've owned. Is it a speaker issue or a component issue?

Back