I’m back!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question, I'm breaking in my 13a's. Streaming through Tidal. Listen to a lot of smooth jazz and sounds amazing.
Switched to Southern Rock, Marshall Tucker, The Allman Brothers, etc and it sounded terrible. Voices muffled, dull, lifeless.
So, I played the same on CD's, sounded better, but still no punch. Why?
Maybe the recording is poor as the 13as will reveal a poor recording. I haven’t played any of the Allmans might try on my system to see how it sounds.
These speakers will reveal poor recordings but rest assured they can really rock try a remaster of Lowdown by Boz Scaggs it sounds amazing but on b&ws at my local dealer sounded rather ordinary
I have an Auralac Aries 2.1 streamer and a Mcintosh ma12000 the combo is very musical

Has anyone had an issue with 13a's booting delay? Meaning I turn on my system and I have no sound. Then after some time, could take up to 10 minutes, I hear each speaker click, then I have music. Weird. Never happened with previous ML's I've owned. Is it a speaker issue or a component issue?
Is the volume turned on really low? They have a sensor that turns on when it detects a signal but if its turned down real low sometimes it wont trigger. Have you tried turning up the volume when it does that?

Is the volume turned on really low? They have a sensor that turns on when it detects a signal but if its turned down real low sometimes it wont trigger. Have you tried turning up the volume when it does that?
I always lower the volume completely at shutdown. But because of the situation I have tried that but to no avail. My concern is it might be my preamp not sending that signal or delaying that signal for some reason. I'm going to tear down my system and check all the connections. I find it hard to believe it's the speakers. Stay tuned.

I have 13As too. The turn on seems to require a substantial signal to actually turn on. If I have been doing some late night quiet listening when I turn the system off I need to turn the volume up a bit at the next turn on. Not to "10" (or 11 if a Spinal Tap fan) just higher than 1 or 2.

Maybe that will help?
Good luck.
Kevin

Edit: sorry, I was just excited to have a question I could answer!

Not to "10" (or 11 if a Spinal Tap fan) just higher than 1 or 2.
My Parasound P7 actually does have a setting where it can go to 11, or actually 110. But I've never been in a situation where I was at 100 and then there was nowhere to go.

Thanks guys. I broke down the system and carefully reconnected everything. The problem seemed to correct itself.
But I keep the speakers plugged into the wall outlet opposed to the P12 regenerator.

Maybe the recording is poor as the 13as will reveal a poor recording.
Yes, these speakers can reveal a lot with and without the proper upstream components.

I have auditioned a number of amps since getting the 13A speakers, and there are a lot of great recordings I use for demoing the system, and a few poorly recorded tunes as well. The poorly recorded tunes are used to see if the etched sound is present or not present.

Great amps will allow enjoyment of the poorly recorded music, but amps that struggle will be revealed by the presence of terrible sound and the immediate stoppage of the aforementioned poorly recorded tunes.

I did a amp swap with a few amps one day with a buddy of mine - not the one who owned a couple of the amps we didn't like - and it was extremely obvious when the sound wasn't good. So it was good that the other friend wasn't there that day to see the expressions on our faces when his $9k mono amps were playing badly with the Expressions.

It just goes to show that cost isn't the principle factor with amps.

Two tunes that are harsh with amps that struggle are:
Romeo Void: Girl In Trouble
The Runaways: Cherry Bomb, this one in particular is really harsh with disagreeable amps.

Actually, the P12 wasn't the problem. But I liked the sound of the speakers better plugged into the wall.
The speakers weren't quite as bright. However, they are still breaking in. So, I may plug them back into
the P12 once I feel the speakers are completely broken in. It's fun to play!

Actually, the P12 wasn't the problem. But I liked the sound of the speakers better plugged into the wall.
The speakers weren't quite as bright. However, they are still breaking in. So, I may plug them back into
the P12 once I feel the speakers are completely broken in. It's fun to play!
So, do you have any idea what was causing your problem of the speakers not turning on?

So, do you have any idea what was causing your problem of the speakers not turning on?
I was streaming from a MAC and wanted to take that out of the equation. The problem occurred after I connected a Bluesound Node to stream. I bypassed the DAC in the Node using a USB optic connection and ran it into my Ayon preamp/CD/DAC. So, I disconnected the Node (returned for a refund) but the delay persisted. That's way I shut down the system, unplugged and disconnected everything, and put it back together. I think the problem was the signal between the Node and the Ayon. It's an older unit, about 7 years old. So far everything is working fine. Speakers are still breaking in nicely.

Back