Hybrid Blu-Ray/DVD Discs Coming Soon

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like they have finally managed to create hybrid Blu-Ray/DVD discs. This inevitably means they will be phasing out the standard DVD before too long and selling only the hybrid discs, at increased cost. So those of you who don't care so much about the high-def qualities of Blu-Ray better stock up on the back catalog of DVD's while prices are still cheap.

Here is the story:

First Blu-Ray Disc/DVD Hybrid Announced in Japan

I hope this dies, quickly. As someone who buys movies only on Blu-ray, the last thing I want to do is pay extra for some crappy SD DVD layer I'll never use. Hopefully they'll be plagued with the same reliability problems that HD DVD's combo discs were.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it would be good to reduce the dual-inventory problem, as that drives up costs.

On the other, a dual-format disc must cost more to produce.

So as long as the retail price is reasonable, then fine.

Personally, I try for the highest quality format on discs I plan to own.

However, for much of the content i watch, I rent. As I have to big a stack of LaserDiscs, DVD's and other media that's been watched once to remind me that maybe a rental is cheaper ;)

Music concerts, special interest (Planet earth) and others are still worth purchasing.

I can't believe it didn't launch with a dual layer..... this is just typical.... I started a thread a bit ago about a blu-ray player purchase - and the specs from sony were all wrong.... threads with fairly knowlegeable people not understanding or knowing what was accurate for the player. The documentation being inconsistent, confusing, and incorrect..... How do you launch a format like this - not make it backwards compatible...I'm sure there may be reasons... My first guess though - would be just stupidity. We saw it with SACD... why should we expect less?

I understand your frustration. But, honestly, if they waited to release it until they had it perfect, then HD/DVD would be the standard high-def. format and Blu-Ray would be dead on arrival. It takes awhile to develop all this technology, and if a company waits too long to release, then their competition eats them up. It really isn't the best thing for the consumer, but it is ultimately just the viciousness of the marketplace. The best thing most consumers can do is sit on the sidelines for a couple of years until they have all the bugs worked out and have compatibility across the board. Issues like this are simply the price that early adopters have to pay for wanting tomorrow's technology today.

Back