Humidity with SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I wrote to Jim of ML about the right channel sounding week speacially the hi frequency. He immediately replied to me advising to vaccuum clean the speakers specially the edges and the horizontal spurs. I did that and is sounding better now but I do not know for how long will it work. I observed that the rubber like stuff which is there in the horizontal spurs are sticky as I could feel with the other end of the cotton bud. Do you think it is normal? Is it worth giving them a shower before I replace them?

abhijit said:
I did that and is sounding better now but I do not know for how long will it work.
I'm guessing that for as long as you keep it clean.

If it's not broken, don't fix it - an old saying.

I had the same issue with BOTH of my SL3s a while back. I vacuumed them and haven't had any more issues, that was easily a year ago. I do vacuum them more frequently now rather than waiting until something goes wrong.

Thanx for the reply. How often do you vaccum them? Did you cover them when not in use?

abhijit said:
Thanx for the reply. How often do you vaccum them? Did you cover them when not in use?

Hola abhijit. It is wise to cover the speakers when they are not in use...and also to disconnected them from the mains A.C. We do know that now all ML have switching power supplies, but if you are not at home, and assuming a possible light storm, if you have them unplugged, the possibility of damage is reduced...the cover prevents them to catch dust from the air...all electrostatic atracts the dust. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola abhijit. It is wise to cover the speakers when they are not in use...and also to disconnected them from the mains A.C. We do know that now all ML have switching power supplies, but if you are not at home, and assuming a possible light storm, if you have them unplugged, the possibility of damage is reduced...the cover prevents them to catch dust from the air...all electrostatic atracts the dust. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.
Thanx Roberto for your valuable advise. I have already started covering the speakers with the original polythene packing stuff although the appartment is Centrally Air-coditioned and run throughout the year. Humidity is realtively low(45-50% inside the appartment) most of the part of the year. Since my speakers are powered thru MIT Z stabilzer and the preamp(Tube Pre-amp SF Sl-1) and the other source deviecs are also connected, it is very disturbing to take off the power cord from the speakers! Yes during the vacation/holidays, I disconnect the AC power. I have made a note of disconnecting the AC power from the equipments during thunderstorm which is not Very common in Kuwait

abhijit said:
Thanx Roberto for your valuable advise. I have already started covering the speakers with the original polythene packing stuff although the appartment is Centrally Air-coditioned and run throughout the year. Humidity is realtively low(45-50% inside the appartment) most of the part of the year. Since my speakers are powered thru MIT Z stabilzer and the preamp(Tube Pre-amp SF Sl-1) and the other source deviecs are also connected, it is very disturbing to take off the power cord from the speakers! Yes during the vacation/holidays, I disconnect the AC power. I have made a note of disconnecting the AC power from the equipments during thunderstorm which is not Very common in Kuwait
I have a regular standard reglette with 6 outlets. I only use this for the two speaker A.C. cables. It is a computer device but works fine and it has a power switch...so what I do is, turn them off when are not in use...hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

SL3 Problem

dyazdani said:
I had the same issue with BOTH of my SL3s a while back. I vacuumed them and haven't had any more issues, that was easily a year ago. I do vacuum them more frequently now rather than waiting until something goes wrong.

What is your frequency of vacuming the SL3? As advised by other members, I am covering the SL3s with the supplied cover on a daily basis. Do you also switch off the power on a daily basis? I aslo start doing that. Touch wood, no problems thereafter. But it is a pain!! Any other alternative!! Did u try cleaning the panel with water?

Last edited:
Back