HT, why do I need Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68sting

Reaction score
I have read occasionally on this forum and other forums the opinion that their HT doesn't need as good of speakers or amps/receivers as a 2 channel set up.

Most movies have a lot of music in them (hence people buying soundtracks all the time) with the main item reproduced being the human voice.

I can't imagine not having my Logan's in my HT. My biggest complaint in HT is getting people's voices to sound right. I haven't heard a box speaker do it yet. And to hear a sound track fill the room like only stats can is not to be down-played. I don't believe the Eagles dvds would be properly served on a lesser system. Just my .02.

I love my M/L's, but a box speaker not getting the human voice correct ?????

obviously you have not listen to a properly driven pair of B&W's. I could be wrong but I believe they are the #1 studio speaker used in the world today.

HT needs ML speakers...

68sting said:
I have read occasionally on this forum and other forums the opinion that their HT doesn't need as good of speakers or amps/receivers as a 2 channel set up.

Most movies have a lot of music in them (hence people buying soundtracks all the time) with the main item reproduced being the human voice.

I can't imagine not having my Logan's in my HT. My biggest complaint in HT is getting people's voices to sound right. I haven't heard a box speaker do it yet. And to hear a sound track fill the room like only stats can is not to be down-played. I don't believe the Eagles dvds would be properly served on a lesser system. Just my .02.
68sting,

IMHO, HT really needs ML speakers. Please don't get me wrong I love my Ascents and Descent for beautiful three channel music listening.

For HT though, I require a very powerful and revealing, excellent sound stage and imaging center channel speaker. The center channel speaker is the most important speaker in the HT set-up. 70% - 80% of the sound goes through it during the adverage feature film. My large Theater i is just outstanding in that regard. All of the voices are clear even with background and other dynamic sound effects which can easily overwhelm a lesser center channel speaker, does not with the Theater i... :D

My Descent subwoofer is also extremely necessiary to my HT. The three 10" alumium servo powered speakers keeps up with my electrostatic pannels seamlessly. Descent is totally awesome with extremely dynamic special effects down to 18 Hzs... :D

My Script i's are as revealing at imaging and making surround effects holographic wonderfully expanding my HT sound stage. I love how they produce gossimer thin sweet sounds as well as beautiful highs and middle register sounds and dynamic effects. I wish, I had two more actually, or some ML Clarity's... :D

I love ML speakers for my HT, but that what my ears love. Someday I'd love to move my Ascent i's to the surround position and my Script i's as rears, but it would require me to purchase the used ML Xstat Statement E2X's for $30,000.00 (USD), which I do not have at this time but in ten years who knows? The sad thing is I would have to part with my Descent subwoofer with I don't think I could do willingly... :) What I have learned, since my membership to the MLClub, is that you need to have an excellent environment / Deticated HT room, sound path i. e., DVD player, Inter- Connects, Speaker Cabling, Processor, as well as powerful processing and most importantly amplification to make ML speakers sing and produce wonderful sounds for excellent HT. Oh and also, "Trust your ears" *(Roberto - you are an audio god...).

Actually, I listened to the B&W's just the other day at Listen UP. They had just completed their dedicated listening room and were running them with Classe amps. I don't think it compared to my Logans at all IMHO. I also believe the best procuct frequently is not the most sold. The best marketer sells the most. I was under the impression that most studios used M&K S-150s when mixing sound tracks. So in theory, they would be the best speaker to listen on since that's what the studio used to master the sound track. My brother has those in his theater and, again, I don't think they reproduce vocals (or anything else) as well as my ML's either. I will say that B&W's HTM center channels are the best box speaker center I have heard though.

68sting said:
Actually, I listened to the B&W's just the other day at Listen UP. They had just completed their dedicated listening room and were running them with Classe amps. I don't think it compared to my Logans at all IMHO. I also believe the best procuct frequently is not the most sold. The best marketer sells the most. I was under the impression that most studios used M&K S-150s when mixing sound tracks. So in theory, they would be the best speaker to listen on since that's what the studio used to master the sound track. My brother has those in his theater and, again, I don't think they reproduce vocals (or anything else) as well as my ML's either. I will say that B&W's HTM center channels are the best box speaker center I have heard though.
No problem, at least we agree on one thing...... Chevy/Corvette (previously owned '66 roadster, cert. Bloomington Silver), just sold my '86 Monte, full roller big block 10.29@131, street legal. Yeah.... American Iron and Martin Logan,good combination !!

I recently got to audition B & W 802's side by side with the Summits, driven with the same electronics. I also got to hear 800's in the same room but with different electronics. If I were thinking of cones I'd probably go with the 802's but I thought the Logans sounded better than the well broken in B & W's even tho the ML's only had about 50 hours on them. It's that S P A C E thing again!

Wow, Bloomington Silver Cert.. Very nice. I bet you did very well selling that. I have a full roller 509 that runs on pump gas in my vette. Convertible though so no e.t. slips for me.

tonyc said:
I recently got to audition B & W 802's side by side with the Summits, driven with the same electronics. I also got to hear 800's in the same room but with different electronics. If I were thinking of cones I'd probably go with the 802's but I thought the Logans sounded better than the well broken in B & W's even tho the ML's only had about 50 hours on them. It's that S P A C E thing again!

That would be a really interesting listening session! I envy you! I am a big fan of the B&W 802's and ended up purchasing MLs instead but did not have the opportunity to do a side by side. I do love the ML sound and what really made my decision easy was the fact that in seperate sessions, I thought the ML's sounded just as good or better. There could have been some prejudice involved on my part as I dreamed of owning MLs for many years prior to my purchase. Then when you factored in the price difference (Ascent i vs 802) it was not that tough a decision. Would you mind sharing where you got to do this audition (dealer, city & state) and the electronics involved? Since I travel all of the time, I am hoping it is somewhere I go so I can hear for myself. Like I said, that would be a totally awesome listening session. :cool:

Mark, I did basically the same thing, albeit the next level down(803D vs Vantage), my dealer is Overture Audio, in Wilmington,De. The finest listening rooms for audioning that I have ever experienced. FWIW, MIT developed their Oracle speaker cable in one of their rooms.

As I stated earlier I love both speakers but when one factors in the $$$ differential it becomes a "no-brainer"

twich54 said:
Mark, I did basically the same thing, albeit the next level down(803D vs Vantage), my dealer is Overture Audio, in Wilmington,De. The finest listening rooms for audioning that I have ever experienced. FWIW, MIT developed their Oracle speaker cable in one of their rooms.

As I stated earlier I love both speakers but when one factors in the $$$ differential it becomes a "no-brainer"

Dave, my Mother and my Brother and his family live in the Avondale, PA area. Maybe on my next trip out to visit them, I can talk my brother into going to Overture with me. He has B&Ws as his fronts in his HT setup. I think that might have been where he bought them. The local dealer in Indy who carries the B&Ws has a fantastic listening room and uses great electronics such as Classe and Mac.

Mark, Terry Menacker - Pres of Overture is a good guy, my salesmans name is Damien, and yes they have the amps you mentioned plus the mighty ARC 610T !
If your in the area give me shout !

Last edited:
Back