HT opinions Digital COAX vs analog Ext. 5/7.1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrjb

I have the NAD master series universal player hooked up both dig coax and 5.1 analog. Thus far I have found 5.1 to have poor dynamics. Movies were less exciting but the rear fill was dramatically better than digital coax. What experiences have you had with the 2 formats.

Maybe the rears are setup differently between the digital and analog settings. It could be that the levels are different for each setting.

It might be as simple as the decoder in the pre might be better.

I have a marantz dv8400 universal disk player with 5.1 anolog and my ht receiver is a harmon kardon avr 7200. When listening to music weather it is dvd-a, sacd, dolby digital, dts or cd the anolog almost always sounds better, but for movies digital out to the harmon kardon is way better. It is quicker and quite a bit more agressive wich I find more exciting especially for action movies. Kind of odd since the marantz is THX certified and twice the cost of the HK. It should be noted that the HK is a bit bright for my tastes when listening to music but can improve the sound on an old dull cd that needs a little artificial sparkle.

Back