How to soften the sizzle...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PinePoint

I have recently purchased (2) Script speakers for a new but small dedicated stereo listening room. The room is 8' x 12', speakers on the narrow closed wall app. 5 ft apart, a foot off the wall and staring straight ahead. Wood shelves line one side and the back wall, and are filled with CDs/DVDs, etc.

Wonderful open sound, clear detail......but I am experiencing listening fatigue due to what sounds like occasional shrillness or "beaming"??
Has anyone had a similar experience and / or found a way to soften the edge without losing the detail. I've been doing lots of trial and error....maybe the room is too small???

I have a pair of Aerius i's at another location/bigger room and do not have this problem there.

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated.

Focus on room acoustics first. Then take a good look at your components. Room acoustics will have the most impact on overall sound quality. In a small room the pinging or reflections off the walls will be more pronounced and need to be addressed. The good news it that it will be easier to do and requires less material. What are you using for components?

Components plus...

Current setup is Denon AVR 2500 (85wpc) w/ Denon 2910 DVD, Monster 400 speaker cable, MIT Avt1 interconnects and a Paradigm PDR-8 Subwoofer. I falied to mention the opposite long wall is pine board w/ a 2'x3' glass window (which I'm sure is not helping). I am going to attempt various draping behind/ around the speaker's tomorrow. Thanks for any insight...

What levels are you listening at it does sound like the room but at higher levels it may be your issue is the power of your AVR.

Response to Taz...

I "believe" I listen at low to mid level volume...unless I get a jones going for 80's rock etc. Most of my listening is small ensemble classical/jazz (Mapleshade, Reference Recordings, etc). I understand the value and potential of room treatments but suspect a more organic issue...maybe not enough clean power?? I'm running a Rotel RB990BX (200wpc) on my Aerius' i system (other location) and have no issues...but the room is 3 times larger. Thanks again for any advice....

Switch the rotel to the other system and see if the problem goes away. If it does then its the Denon if not it is probably the room. Good Luck!

It's the Denon. Rotels are warmer, higher quality amps.

Steve Daigneault said:
It's the Denon.
Agreed....I had a Denon 2200 and it had the type of sound the poster is describing. If I am not mistaken the 2910 had the same audio section as the 2200, but better video performance. I was running a CI DAC off of my 2200 and the sound improvements were tremendous. Since I also listen to SACD, I just could not handle the 2200 sound and upgraded to a Sony DVP-NS999ES player and had it modified.

Dan

I have used Aurelx wedges to cut down the serious upper frequency refelctions in my Video room.

You might try curtains for windows and strategically placed tapestries and book shelves as well.

This has worked well for me for my Clarity's

Joel

Denons generally sound hot on really good systems. I had two (9000 and 5910) which gave me this problem on poorer CD's. The 5910 went back. The 9000 is sitting in the garage waiting for me to have the time to sell it.

The good side of Denon players is that the video is superb and the Hi-Rez formats sound very good. You might try a Van der Hul cable and replace the power cord. Also use spikes and a good platform. The 9000 was especially responsive to tweaks.

Big Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I brought in the Rotel and i did make a big difference! Also considering a tube pre-amp to warm things up a little more. Great web site!

Not to hijack here, but geeesh, I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone else said something. :D

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!"

Kruppy said:
Not to hijack here, but geeesh, I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone else said something. :D

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!"

LOL... :D .

I remember that skit!!

Back