How to properly measure rake angle?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGrey

Reaction score
Hello people,
I want to set my electromotions vertically (90 degrees angle to the floor) as I understand it improved the sound.

My problem is how to measure the angle? With ,y older speakers I just place a level on top because they had a flat surface on top of the cabinet.. but these don't...

I also have an extra complication because my speakers are set on townsend seismic isolation bars - I have wooden floors and it gets ugly without them... My floor is also not quite level ;)

I can adjust the individual height of each cell but need an elegant way of measuring the angle.

Maybe I'm overdoing it.. what do you think?

Thank you.

In my case I actually have a specialized digital pitch gauge tool that is accurate to 0.1 degree. I put that against the center plane of the main panel.

I normally use this tool to measure the blade angle on my helicopters to make sure that each blade is tracking properly. As in +13 degrees at full positive collective on both blades and 0 on both blades at center stick and -13 at full negative collective on both blades.

Whether it improves your response will depend on how high you are sitting, how tall you are and how far back you are sitting.

Hello people,
I want to set my electromotions vertically (90 degrees angle to the floor) as I understand it improved the sound.

My problem is how to measure the angle? With ,y older speakers I just place a level on top because they had a flat surface on top of the cabinet.. but these don't...

I also have an extra complication because my speakers are set on townsend seismic isolation bars - I have wooden floors and it gets ugly without them... My floor is also not quite level ;)

I can adjust the individual height of each cell but need an elegant way of measuring the angle.

Maybe I'm overdoing it.. what do you think?

Thank you.

If your goal is to have the Electromotion ninety degree to the floor then no need to measure the angle. Use your eyesight and continue with placing suitable construction material under Electromotion until the electrostatic panel has no backward slope. At this point the Electromotion panel should be ninety degrees to the floor.

have fun listening to music!:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a carpenters level against the front of the panel...adjust to get a centered bubble.
20563489-Carpenter-s-level-an-instrument-for-measuring-height-differences--Stock-Vector.jpg

Sears has these wonderful Digital Levels with a magnetic base, that are basically cheap,your problems are solved.
Walaaa A perfect Deutsch flambay

How are you getting it to 90 degrees? The included feet stops short.

I removed the feet and use Townshend isolation bars (with every speaker and sub I have) and those can be adjusted.

Not sure if it was exactly 90 degrees but looks almost vertical from the side - I preferred the original angle so now have both bars (and the speakers on them) horizontally balanced.

I removed the feet and use Townshend isolation bars (with every speaker and sub I have) and those can be adjusted.

Not sure if it was exactly 90 degrees but looks almost vertical from the side - I preferred the original angle so now have both bars (and the speakers on them) horizontally balanced.

Or you could just use a plumb bob...

FYI, this is what I use.

The readings are
(top) level bubble showing that my table is tilted right 0.5 degrees.
(bottom) shows the Zero'd 0.0 degrees against my table.

So I guess the question is whether you are perpendicular to the floor and if your floor is perfectly level.

digitalLevel.jpg

Back