How satisfied are you with your Martin Logan system for 2ch listening?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well it is a bit cooler here today about 77.
Yeah, that's about what it was here today in Sacramento, too. We were at the NCAA tournament yesterday and one of the Indiana folks was talking on their cell to someone at home that was apparently doing the snow shoveling thing, and he said something like "Yeah, well its almost 80 here and I'm drinking a beer". At which point he had to hold the phone away from his ear. :D

Yeah yeah yeah... everywhere but Chicago is warm....

And even if it isnt, atleast you guys arent stuck in a 12x12 room waiting with other med students for babies to pop out!

This is going to be a looong night.... :( .

I need to jump in to this $750 vs $3000 CDP discussion with my own observations.

If I go back just a year ago my system for two channel listening consisted of a Rotel RSP 1098 pre/pro and Rotel amps playing thru Klipsch RF7s with modified crossovers. MY CDP was a Denon 2900 universal player, which by the way was a damn nice player for the $500 it cost me. I doubt that I would have been able to hear much difference in a $3000 player on that system.

Fast forward a year and several upgrade steps and my 2 channel system is now at a level that the slightest increment in performance difference in playback system can be descerned, let alone as vast a difference as $2200 will buy. Of course it only took an additional investment of $18,500 in equipmet to get to the point where the differences can be that well descerned.

OBTW, my favorite CD source is my Theta DAta basic transport which I bought used on ebay for $350 and a Benchmark DAC1 boughty new for $950. At $1300 this does almost as well in my system as a $7K Esoteric UX-03. It would probably cost about $5K "used" to duplicate the capabilities of the Theta transport, and the Benchmark's prowess is well known.

Last edited:
Good point DrJRapp. Lots of sound systems just don't just don't have sufficient resolution to discern the difference in sound quality between various CD players. I never would have believed that an Ayre CX-7e CD player would find a home in my system - not in a million years. But I could hear the improvement in sound quality as soon as I hooked it up with the Summits.

Good point DrJRapp. Lots of sound systems just don't just don't have sufficient resolution to discern the difference in sound quality between various CD players. I never would have believed that an Ayre CX-7e CD player would find a home in my system - not in a million years. But I could hear the improvement in sound quality as soon as I hooked it up with the Summits.

I agree Ed... the Summits are very very very resolving. To the point where it's scary.

For example: going Class A on the Plinius is a lot less evident on the Strata Mini vs the ML Summits.

Rules:
1. Name and System version # and DATE
Hi, my name is Steven, and I'm an addict... Version 1.000 3/12/07
Thread resurrection!

System now available in version 1.100 6/21/07

2. 2-ch Setup (List your entire 2ch setup, from wires to speakers!) All fed with an ADCOM ACE-515 fancy power strip
Pioneer CDJ-700S CD player. DJ-style player with big motors, variable speeds... and indifferent sound quality.
ADCOM GTP-350 preamp/tuner (switching out with a B&K Pro 5 but the Adcom is in right now)
NAD 2100 amplifier
Preamp interconnects are Monster Interconnect 500, CD interconnects are good, but old enough I've no idea what brand/model. Speakers wired with fat Monster Cable and banana plugs.
Gorgeous Sequels.
Replaced NAD 2100 60Wpc with Carver TFM-42 at 375 alleged Wpc.

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating (Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10... I rate it 7¼/10 for my personal happiness with it, as I know it'll soon be much better. Out of all the systems I've heard, though, it's easily in the top ten, probably top 5. Though the money in my system wouldn't buy the wires in the best two or three systems I've heard! ;)
Uhm... I'd have to go with a 9, now. Maybe 8½ if I'm picky. This is now at least the third best privately-owned noise production clump I've laid ear to. I say 8½ is possible, only because I'm about to order new panels and I want to leave room. =]

4. Comments (Make sure to comment about your system's sound The imaging isn't as precise at I've heard from electrostatics in the past, but I'm still messing with placement and room acoustics. The sound stage is as open as I could ask for. The bass, however, isn't perfect. There's a bit of boominess in the midbass that I think is around the crossover point, and it's not helped by the speakers standing on very old hardwood floors that aren't as solid an anchor as I'd like. This is also up for reevaluation when I get a real CD player.
The imaging is probably about 80% of the best that I've heard from flat-panel ESLs. I'm not sure that curved panels are ever going to give that "the saxophone is right there" level of imaging that flat panels give, but you do get that image on the left iand right sides of the chair you're in. =] The boominess that I complained of earlier seems to be gone, but there's still some... probably four to five octaves lower! There is also a *lot* more bass and the boominess appears now to be at the port frequency of the woofers.

5. Upgrades planned (List upgrades that are planned for the near future... speaks for itself.)
Obviously the CD player, and the amp is only 60 Wpc. For some unexplainable reason I've been shopping for an amp more than the CD player, though. :rolleyes: Probably because I'm not sure what direction to go for the CD player, it seems a lot of money to get a CD-only player when there are HD DVD players out there for $130 which leaves a lot more options for future uses... But am I going to be happy with the sound of it over a nice dedicated CD player?!?!? :confused: Will a HDDVD player with digital audio out be worth getting a preamp with digital inputs? HELP! :)
I was right to go for the amp first! Holy cow, I can't believe it made such a difference. The NAD did so well on my old (efficient) box speakers I never thought it'd be so overtaxed with the Sequels. And overtaxed it was. I still need a CD player and now I'm ordering panels (just because... :-D).

One thing, though... I really don't think the Carver's 375 Watts are as "big" as the NAD's 60 Watts. It's obviously a lot more power, and sounds a lot better, but the Carver's output meters went straight to the last LED when I cranked it up a bit, at sound pressure levels where the NAD was still comfortable, and I've never lit the NAD's "soft clipping" indicators.

Maybe more later, I've only listened to 4 disks so far. But man, am I happy so far! :musicnote:

1. Name and System version # and DATE Mike, System #192 V1.0 June 2007
2. 2-ch Setup Jolida JD100A CDP -> Nordost IC -> Quicksilver Linestage -> Straightwire IC -> Sunfire Stereo II -> Speltz Anticables -> Ascent I -> 12’ x 13’ x9’ dedicated room (Shame on you Joey for overlooking the single most important component in any system)
3. Overall Satisfaction Rating 7 / 10
4. Comments Pros: Very solid performing system overall. This system can do intimate acoustic/vocals, or 100db R&R equally well. Whatever the mood, this system will deliver. At times (usually after midnight or before 6am) the system sounds as good as anything I’ve heard, give or take. Granted, I haven’t heard that many systems.
Cons: Upper mids to lower bass have a slight bit of grain. The soundstage isn’t as deep as I’d like. I believe that both of these issues are due to the room, which I’ve been working to tame for some time.
5. Upgrades planned I don’t understand this question. I never PLAN upgrades, they just happen!

1. Name and System version # and DATE: Dennis V1.0 June 2007

2. 2-ch Setup: Ascent i, MX119, MC207, Denon 2910, Basis 1400 with Benz Micro Glider, Audio Quest ICs & Speaker Cables

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating: 6 or 7 / 10

4. Comments: Excellent HT (9/10). Very good Jazz, Okay Rock. With rock, alone, I often pump the volume and it runs out of steam. Also, with Rock the lack of room treatments seem to affect the sound more. I think because of the volume. However, we're moving so no point in getting too worked up until we're in our new home. BTW, rating was much higher until I made the mistake of listening to better sources and mono blocks.

5. Upgrades planned: The three year Plan -- Next Year 2 McIntosh MC501s (no more lack of steam), 2nd Year Sonus Faber Elipsa's or McIntosh's XRT28s. 3rd Year 1 McIntosh MS750, 1 MDA1000, and hopefully MVP881 (not yet announced).

very satisfied indeed!

1. Main system: Probably about version 35 if we start from the beginning, but version 1.0 with current ML speakers

2. Setup: Preamp- Conrad Johnson ACT2/series 2 , Power amp - Conrad Johnson Premier 350, Phono pre - ASR Basis Exclusive, Turntables SME 10 w/SME V arm and MoFi 3.5C cartridge (wired balanced to ASR), Oracle Delphi V w/SME iv.Vi and Shelter 90x cartridge. CD Player - Meridian 808 Interconnects: Tara The ONE from Meridian to ACT 2. Cardas Golden reference everywhere else. Tetra Artet Speaker cables - bi wired to ML Vantage speakers. All equipment on Finite Elemente Pagode Signature racks with Cerepucs and Cereballs. Running Springs Jaco line conditioner on all gear but Premier 350 (which has its own Running Springs Duke) Running Springs Mongoose power cords and Essential Sound Products The Essence Reference power cords.

3. Over all satisfaction rating: 9.2

4. Comments: I am VERY happy with the system, except I would like just a touch more giddyup in the extreme low end and would like just a touch more dynamics. Otherwise I am very happy with depth, width and height as well as exceptional transparency and tonality.

With this combination of gear I have (at least for me) the perfect balance of musicality and resolution without being harsh or too romantic. As I use this system as my main reference by which to judge all of the other gear I review it's great. Any change in the system can be heard instantly.

5. Upgrades planned: Getting my Summits on Monday!! I think that is going to take me to somewhere between 9.9 and 10. I love the current ML sound and with my job have access to a lot of different speakers, etc. Butthe Vantage/Summit sound has me in Pig Heaven!!

I am thrilled to have ML speakers again and am glad to be part of this group!

Pub...

I have not seen a 9.2 anywhere else on this thread..... amazing...

Joey :)

I love the Vantages, and I hope that my review got that across enough, but I know that the Summits are going to take the system over the top. I've had the privelige of listening to a lot of expensive stuff over the years, but I've always loved panels, ML in particular...

I used to own CLS II's (BIG mistake for ever selling) and the original Aerius (another mistake for selling) I've owned Acoustats, Quads, Magnepans and Apogees and tried the Finals, but these really do it for me.

Ill post some pics when I get the Summits in!

I love the Vantages, and I hope that my review got that across enough, but I know that the Summits are going to take the system over the top. I've had the privelige of listening to a lot of expensive stuff over the years, but I've always loved panels, ML in particular...

I used to own CLS II's (BIG mistake for ever selling) and the original Aerius (another mistake for selling) I've owned Acoustats, Quads, Magnepans and Apogees and tried the Finals, but these really do it for me.

Ill post some pics when I get the Summits in!

Ah I see...

And yes, post pics... all of us here at MLO are suckers for good pics! :musicnote:

Bringing it back to life......

Rules:
1. Name and System version # and DATE My name is John, not sure what Version 1.000 7/28/07

2. 2-ch Setup (List your entire 2ch setup, from wires to speakers!) Speakers: M.L. Odysseys, Pre: Cary SLP98P, Digital: Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Analog: Rega P5 w/Exact MKII cart, all wires/cables by Kool Cables.

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating (Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10... I would rate my system as an solid 7/10 but I am in the market for new speakers. I'm happy with the Odysseys but I'm ready to move up the ladder and I hope I don't make a lateral move.

4. Comments (Make sure to comment about your system's sound TMy system has pretty rock solid imaging and if your in the sweet spot can be surprisingly real. Actually it sounds quite good from bottom to top. Sound staging is fantastic and huge easily moving outside the speakers at times. Bass is good though I would not complain if I had a little more.

5. Upgrades planned (List upgrades that are planned for the near future... speaks for itself.)
I am in the market for new speakers and hope to find what I'm looking for. I would also like to put my music on a hard drive(Olive Musica or SBIII?). I also plan to go to mono blocks but not sure which ones yet as speakers will dictate that. I would also like to upgrade the cartridge on my TT and a few other small things. I really need to treat my room.... oh boy, money money money.:eek:

About as good as it can get!!!

1. Steve's System v 18.3; as of 7/29/2007
2. Audio Research Reference CD 7->Audio Research Reference 3 Pre->Ayre MX-R Monos -> ML Summits. All balanced AudioQuest Jaguar Interconnects and AudioQuest Pikes Peak Speaker Cables
3. 9/10
4. At this point there is little left that I would do to my system. The limiting factor is the ability for the Summits to move a lot of air on large scale music. Played within their limits and they are fantastic.
5. Would need to spend huge money on speakers the size of the Statements, Wilson Maxx IIs or hopefully the new CLZ will come through.

Last edited:
Steve, nice system.

Could you comment on your CD7's sound? Against other cdps and in relation to your TNT? Thanks!

Steve, nice system.

Could you comment on your CD7's sound? Against other cdps and in relation to your TNT? Thanks!

I did compare the CD7 to the new Wadia, Esoteric, MacIntosh and Ayre. All of these units are great, but there was such a great match between it and the ARC REF 3 that the sound was getting as close to real as I ever had heard it. As commented above, I feel that my speakers are now the limiting factor in my system and as we all know the Summits are fantastic.

I can say that I rarely listen to my turntable anymore since the CD7 sounds that good. I have never heard the detail, cymbals, Horns, Violin, Piano, Guitar, Double Base, Drums, Hall ambiance or Inner detail that I have now with the CD7. I find myself clearly looking around the soundstage with an ability to pick out each performance on its own. I feel that the CD7 gives nothing up to high end analog and I never would have thought that redbook CD could get this good.........Steve

Back