How satisfied are you with your Martin Logan system for 2ch listening?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Only for 2channel stereo listening... not for HT... I wanted to keep things simple.

I know we all say we're happy with our systems, but no one ever quantifies this "happiness" or "satisfaction"...

So this is how we list it so future readers can read our posts and we can come back and relive this snapshot-in-time "satisfaction meter" sometime in the future. I figured as time goes by, we can post another system satisfaction rating for each time we upgrade a part of our system.

Rules:
1. Name and System version # and DATE (Your name and System version number, start with v1.0... this will allow us to keep track of how many times we alter our system and if it affects the overall satisfaction that we get.)
2. 2-ch Setup (List your entire 2ch setup, from wires to speakers!)
3. Overall Satisfaction Rating (Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10... I believe 10/10 would be audio nirvana and you shouldn't be looking to upgrade anything forever, thus, I think this number will remain elusive for 99.9% of us)
4. Comments (Make sure to comment about your system's sound and note what you feel is the next level for you in-terms of the sound presentation. Be BLUNT!!! You want to read exactly how you felt at this point in time when you look back in the future!)
5. Upgrades planned (List upgrades that are planned for the near future... speaks for itself.)

That's all and let's keep chatting to a minimum unless you feel like you have tips for someone's system... thanks all!

Joey :)

Last edited:
1. Joey's System v 1.0; as of 3/11/2007
2. Squeezebox3 -> Cary SLP-98L tube preamplifier -> Plinius SA102 amplifier -> Martin Logan Summits; wired with Radio Shack Fusion interconnects and a generic 12ga speaker wire
3. 7/10
4. Sounds great as it is. I note a bit of unrefined imaging though. Especially with the vocals... like there's this remaining fuzz around the leading etches of the vocal focus. I know it can be improved... most likely source limited. Also, there could be more air between instruments and I want a better sense of forward to back soundstaging.
5. Need a DAC, it's coming. After that, probably a TT or going balanced throughout the system with the help of a new preamp like the Cary SLP-05 this Christmas. :)

Last edited:
Rules:
1. Name and System version #
Richard (Dreamer) System V #1 as of 3/11/2007

2. 2-ch Setup Carver C-4000t preamp, Oppo DV 981-HD DVD player, Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge, Carver M-500t amp, Martin Logan Sequels, White Zombie Audio "Cuervo Carmesa" Silver Interconnects, Nordost Solar Wind Speaker cables

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating 7/10

4. Comments My system sounds very smooth for 2-channel listening. Female vocals are clear, lush and natural; acoustic instruments have nice pace and are very engaging; bass is firm, but a little lacking in authority in bass-heavy material (like some rock and classical). Soundstage is very wide, deep and high, without sounding exaggerated or smeared, and live recordings (non-studio, non-multitracked) have a very pleasing air and ambience to them. Low-level detail is precise and clear, but sometimes the extreme highs (high female vocals, violins, flutes) have a little glare to them. Mids are smooth and lush. Upper bass is sometimes a little roughly integrated with the lower mids, but this is perhaps a weakenss of the Sequels, not other components. [/COLOR][p]

I'd like to upgrade my preamp to a Sunfire TGP-III or TGP-IV, because I've heard the Sonic Holography on them is MUCH quieter and cleaner than the old analogue version in the C-4000t, and because they have 7.1 imputs for SADC and Dolby signals coming from my DVD player. I'd also like to get a Sunfire amp (used Sunfire II Signature), after having heard one in another forum member's system. And of course, I'd LOVE to upgrade my analogue front-end to maybe a Clearaudio Emotion, VPI Scoutmaster, or a nicely set-up used Oracle Delphi...

--Richard

Only for 2channel stereo listening... not for HT... I wanted to keep things simple.

Rules:
1. Name and System version # and DATE (Your name and System version number, start with v1.0... this will allow us to keep track of how many times we alter our system and if it affects the overall satisfaction that we get.)
2. 2-ch Setup (List your entire 2ch setup, from wires to speakers!)
3. Overall Satisfaction Rating (Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10... I believe 10/10 would be audio nirvana and you shouldn't be looking to upgrade anything forever, thus, I think this number will remain elusive for 99.9% of us)
4. Comments (Make sure to comment about your system's sound and note what you feel is the next level for you in-terms of the sound presentation. Be BLUNT!!! You want to read exactly how you felt at this point in time when you look back in the future!)
5. Upgrades planned (List upgrades that are planned for the near future... speaks for itself.)

That's all and let's keep chatting to a minimum unless you feel like you have tips for someone's system... thanks all!

Joey,

I think you should define each level of satisfaction so everybody will be on the same page. Like me, for example, this is the first time I bought a high end system and I have not been fully exposed to all high end systems out there and I may rate mine as 8/10 as far as I'm concerned but others may rate it 6/10.

So, don't you think that each level should be defined somehow? Just my .02

Rudy

Joey,

I think you should define each level of satisfaction so everybody will be on the same page. Like me, for example, this is the first time I bought a high end system and I have not been fully exposed to all high end systems out there and I may rate mine as 8/10 as far as I'm concerned but others may rate it 6/10.

So, don't you think that each level should be defined somehow? Just my .02

Rudy

I think this is more of a it's a more subjective thing. I was thinking that this could be a thread where we could all post our own opinions about our own system so we could go back to it at a future date and keep track of our ever evolving satisfaction levels.

So basically, Rudy, if you feel that it's an 8/10, you should post that it's an 8/10. You can always edit in the future.

Source Improvement... ?

1. Joey's System v 1.0; as of 3/11/2007
2. Squeezebox3 -> Cary SLP-98L tube preamplifier -> Plinius SA102 amplifier -> Martin Logan Summits; wired with Radio Shack Fusion interconnects and a generic 12ga speaker wire
3. 7/10
4. Sounds great as it is. I note a bit of unrefined imaging though. Especially with the vocals... like there's this remaining fuzz around the leading etches of the vocal focus. I know it can be improved... most likely source limited. Also, there could be more air between instruments and I want a better sense of forward to back soundstaging.
5. Need a DAC, it's coming. After that, probably a TT or going balanced throughout the system with the help of a new preamp like the Cary SLP-05 this Christmas. :)
Joey,

:D Are you considering a source up-grade as well?

I'm not.

Oh wait - I don't have any! :p

Joey,

:D Are you considering a source up-grade as well?

DAC's coming..... and then vinyl setup for sure in the near future!

Come on Robin, give us your rating for your system.. and all you other ML-fanatics... there's gotta be more than just me and Richard aka Dreamer! :(

Robin's System...

1). Robin's system v1.0 as of 3/12/2007.
2). Momitu -> Pioneer VSX-59TXi (as Processor only) -> Anthem Statement P5 Amplifier -> Ascent i / Descent -> Monster Z1 Biwire cable, Audio /Cinema Quest 14 gage cable.
3). 5/10.
4). Sounds good enough for now... Though, I have dreams of much better music listening, two channel sounds, for my Bedroom system - I am planning. Also, am planing up-grades of my main HT system to make it more musical, as well in five years or so...
5). Planned on future up-grades: Possibly powered source (Wakia, DCS P8i, McIntosh MCD 201, Accuphase 78) or a source (Marantz SA-7S1, Esoteric X-03, X-01) with tubed preamp (Cary SLP 05, ARC Ref III, Hovland HP-200), Crystal Cable, TT, Pass Labs XA-160 or Plinius SA250 amps or both.

Last edited:
Wow... 5/10 Robin... unexpected to say the least! Must have high expectations and hard to please eh (kind of like my gf... hehehehe)? Your speakers are Ascents right (I dont see it in your #2)?

I bet you're waiting for the CLXs huh? :D :D

Wow... looking at your upgrades planned.. it looks like an entire overhaul! I bet you're excited as all heck!! I would be!

Take care, Robin!

"Overhaul" ~ That's a Good Word For It...

Wow... 5/10 Robin... unexpected to say the least! Must have high expectations and hard to please eh (kind of like my gf... hehehehe)? Your speakers are Ascents right (I dont see it in your #2)?

I bet you're waiting for the CLXs huh?

Wow... looking at your upgrades planned.. it looks like an entire overhaul! I bet you're excited as all heck!! I would be!

Take care, Robin!

Joey
Joey,

:D Yes, 5/10, I do realize my system is more of a HT system, than a musical listening system.

Yes, Overhauling and starting a second bedroom system as well.
Something -> New (or used), something Borrowed, something Blue... will be my montra for my next set of up-grades in the next five years. I am excited. :D

You are quite correct. I have Ascent i's, I'll edit my above post. ;)

And yes, I am anxiously awaiting the release CLX as well as the Super-Summit.

Have a good rest Joey, you deserve it. :meditate:

Rules:
1. Name and System version # and DATE
Hi, my name is Steven, and I'm an addict... Version 1.000 3/12/07

2. 2-ch Setup (List your entire 2ch setup, from wires to speakers!) All fed with an ADCOM ACE-515 fancy power strip
Pioneer CDJ-700S CD player. DJ-style player with big motors, variable speeds... and indifferent sound quality.
ADCOM GTP-350 preamp/tuner (switching out with a B&K Pro 5 but the Adcom is in right now)
NAD 2100 amplifier
Preamp interconnects are Monster Interconnect 500, CD interconnects are good, but old enough I've no idea what brand/model. Speakers wired with fat Monster Cable and banana plugs.
Gorgeous Sequels.

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating (Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10... I rate it 7¼/10 for my personal happiness with it, as I know it'll soon be much better. Out of all the systems I've heard, though, it's easily in the top ten, probably top 5. Though the money in my system wouldn't buy the wires in the best two or three systems I've heard! ;)

4. Comments (Make sure to comment about your system's sound The imaging isn't as precise at I've heard from electrostatics in the past, but I'm still messing with placement and room acoustics. The sound stage is as open as I could ask for. The bass, however, isn't perfect. There's a bit of boominess in the midbass that I think is around the crossover point, and it's not helped by the speakers standing on very old hardwood floors that aren't as solid an anchor as I'd like. This is also up for reevaluation when I get a real CD player.

Obviously the CD player, and the amp is only 60 Wpc. For some unexplainable reason I've been shopping for an amp more than the CD player, though. :rolleyes: Probably because I'm not sure what direction to go for the CD player, it seems a lot of money to get a CD-only player when there are HD DVD players out there for $130 which leaves a lot more options for future uses... But am I going to be happy with the sound of it over a nice dedicated CD player?!?!? :confused: Will a HDDVD player with digital audio out be worth getting a preamp with digital inputs? HELP! :)

1. Name and System version # and DATE: Sam a.k.a. Sambob2 System v1.0 3_2007

2. 2-ch Setup: Analogue side: Technics SL-1100 Direct Drive TT, SME 3009 Series III Tonearm, Benz Glider M2 MC Cartridge, Audioquest Diamond Back interconnect, Audio Research PH-3 Phono Preamp Audioquest Diamonback interconnect, Audio Research LS-15 Preamp, MIT 2 Terminator interconnects, Kenwood L-05M Mono Block Amplifiers, MIT Terminator 2 Bi Wire Speaker Cables, Martin Logan ReQuests.

Digital side: Denon DCD-1500 CD player or Pioneer DV-05 CD/DVD Player, MIT 3 Digital interconnects, Audio Research LS-15 Preamp, MIT 2 Terminator interconnects, Kenwood L-05M Mono Block Amplifiers, MIT Terminator 2 Bi Wire Speaker Cables, Martin Logan ReQuests.

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating: 7

4. Comments: My system has undergone a change in location due to the addition of our daughter. The new location for my current system has changed the acoustics and reproduced soundstage and imaging to a pretty good amount, a few notches down, there is now a men’s dresser 4' wide, 4 1/2 feet high, 2' deep, between the ReQuests.
When I do listen, I pull the speakers out a foot and a half from the wall behind them. They are about 7 feet apart and although the imaging is not as good as it can be (due to the limited location, not the quality of the speakers) the bass is much improved over the old room. The difference is the size of the room. I went from a 24 by 32' room to a 15 by 17' room (Master Bedroom). Much more bass! With the addition of a new phono cartridge over the older Supex, the sound has opened up quite a lot more than I would ever have expected. Instruments are more defined and there is more space around each player. The quality of the sound is much improved as well, bass is tighter and more powerful, the rest of the frequencies are smoother and more defined as well. Strings are much more convincing as are vocals. The system overall is satisfying but I know there is a lot more potential, some being wasted due to the limitations of the room and interference from the furniture about the bedroom. Not ideal acoustics but not to bad for what I have for the moment.

5. Upgrades planned: First, I have to get the two car garage with work shop drawn up and built. Probably two years after it's up and built, I'll have a second floor added onto it and also connect the structure to the existing house. This will allow me to put in a door on the second floor to the new room (did I hear someone say dedicated room) above the garage below. As far as audio equipment, the addition of a already purchased Descent subwoofer still in box and brand new unused, 2 channel amplifier, probably Pass Labs x250.0, CD Transport/DAC or player, upgrade to the turntable base and drive to a VPI Aries 3.

The torture never stops...(Frank Zappa, Zoot Allures)

Sam

Last edited:
1. Adam's System as at 13/03/07, v1.0
2. Marantz 8300 SACD --> Audioquest Sidewinder --> Musical Fidelity X-10D --> Audioquest Sidewinder --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> Audioquest Type 4 --> Martin Logan Vista --> Behringer DSP1124P --> Whise Profounder 119A sub
3. 7/10
4. Sounds very very good, but a few problems. Imaging is not as defined as I would like - most likely a room issue (cathederal ceilings, windows on one side). Bass remains an issue - while the Behringer EQ has gone a long way to smoothing the response out, I still feel there are integration issues, mainly due to colouration of the Vista bass.
5. A dedicated room is my dream. But for now I'm going to have to settle for a source upgrade next, and hopefully continue tweaking the room.

Evan, v.1.3

2. 2-ch Setup

Martin Logan Sequel II
Marantz TT4000
Marantz SA 14
Forte F50 DAC
Forte Model 6a amplifier
Classe Cp 47.5 preamp.
NHT X1 subwoofer crossover/EQ
Tara Labs Spectrum 3 balanced interconnects.
Monster unbalanced interconnects
Monster XP speaker cable

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating

6/10

4. Comments

My room is pretty bad right now. I need a lot of room treatment to get the most out of what I have. I feel that my equipment is very good for my total investment and I'm excited because I know in my heart that it can only get better from here :)

5. Upgrades planned

I still have plans for:
1) A digital music server like the Olive Musica.
2) A new turn table.
3) Some form of power conditioner.
4) A much sturdier shelving system for my equipment.

I would also like to point out that all of the information Joey has asked for should be entered into Lugano's awesome ML database!!.

:cool:

Last edited:
1. Jeff's System (jhorowitz128) as of 3/12/07

2. Speakers: Aerius i's (since 1997) w/ clear-spar panels purchased in '04
Amps: Rogue M-150 Monoblocks
Preamp: Manley Shrimp
Phono Stage: Cary PH-302
Step-up Device: DIY Cinemag CMQEE-3440A
CD Player: Jolida JD-100A
Tuner: Carver TX-2
Power Conditioner: Tice Solo
Turntable: Teres 255
Tonearm: Magnepan Unitrac1 w/ custom Incognito IC cable
Cartridge: Audio-Technica OC9-ML/II
Wall Mount: DIY w/ 3" maple block TT support

Power Cords: Signal Cable for amps. DIY Bob Crump for other components.
Interconnects: DIY Gotham GAC-4/1 for all components.

3. 8.5 - 9.0

4. Spent the last 3 yrs. updating from all SS to all tubes. After tube rolling and tweaking various components, have finally got the sound I want and like.
The 2 biggest improvements are the Teres TT and getting the correct loading of my cartridge using the Cinemag SUT.

Loud symphonic music tends to overload my smallish room (13'x17'x8'), and I wish the bass was better defined in the lower regions. I must have a wicked standing wave:(

5. Plan on getting a Hadcack (an "o" where the "a" is..the forum will not allow the spelling of c*ck)) tonearm that a friend is custom wiring for me. All in all, I'm very pleased with my set-up. But it did take 3 years.

Last edited:
1. v -1
2. Summit
Rowland 8T amp
Audio Research Ref 3 preamp
Ayre C5xe player
Sonic Frontiers SFD 2 Mk 3 DAC
Audio Research PH 5 phono preamp
VPI HW-19 4/SDS/Graham 2.2 tonearm
Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge
Cables-Nordost Quatro-Fil C5 to preamp, Audioquest Sky DAC to pre, Cardas tonearm, Purist Audio Colossus Pre to power amp, Nordost SPM speaker; powercords: Shunyata Python, pre/power/wall to Shunyata 2 for amp/C5; ESP Essence on Summits: Monster HTPS 7000, front end.
3. 7 Used to be an 8.
4. Thus far I'd have to say that my transition to the Summits from Apogee Divas has been difficult. I appreciate what the Summits do well but remain bothered about soundstage height and the relative narrowness of the sweet spot. When push comes to shove I'm afraid a bit of the music left with the Divas. Oh well, I'll keep tweaking until I lick these problems...
5. ARC Ref 110, ASC total room treatment

Rules:
Hi - my name is Tim - I'm an audioholic... v1.0 3-12-07
2. 2-ch Setup
Denon 5900 Universal Player + Sunfire TGIII + Sunfire Cinema Sig (bi-amped mode) + AudioQuest Bedrock (double bi-wire config) + ML Odysseys + ML Descent
3. Overall Satisfaction Rating
9/10 - I just love it.
4. Comments
System is very clear/transparent/ldetailed/low end goes very deep but does not cloud the mids. With a better room - I can only imagine how much better it might sound. Can only get the odysseys 6' apart (inside to inside).
5. Upgrades planned
Nothing planned at the moment - however, have considered a possible replacement for the denon 5900...although am not sure an upgrade would be worth the $$$$ needed to replace it.

I'm still waiting for the veterans to publish their ratings... where's Dave, Dan, Roberto, Tim, Jason, SS, Steve and all the other big shots?

;)

Rules:
1. Jerry Rappaport V1.0 3/13/07

2. 2-ch Setup: JA Michell Technodec, Rega 250 arm Grado Reference Sonata wood cartridge to Cambridge Audio Azur 640P phono pre.

Theta Data Basic CD transport, Monster digital SE cable to Benchmark DAC 1. Then Synergistic Research Alpha Sterling Active XLR cable to BAT VK 31 SE to (2) Aragon Palladium 1K Monoblocks via Synergistic Research Resolution Reference X2 active cables. ML Summits wired to Palladiums with IXOS Gamma 7 (litz design) biwire.

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating: 8/10

4. Comments: I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns. The more I spend the less satisfied I am with the results at times. Upgrades seem to make things different but not necessarily any better.

5. Upgrades planned : Moving to new digs soon where the 2 channel system will have it's own space independent of the dedicated theater room. Purchased a custom Adona audiophile rack for the new room. Will do some room acoustic tweeks once system is there. Down the road will experiment with phono pre and phono cartridge upgrades.

Last edited:
Back