How much have you spent on equipment v. music?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
In the last 3 months how much have you spent on equipment compared to music?

I've spent ~$225.00 on equipment, some accessories: Vibrapod cones and pods, Cinemag 34401a SUT, RCA's. On the software side I've spent about $500.00 on mostly LP's, some SACD's, DVD-A's and a few CD's. This is a ratio of about 1:2.2 in favor of software.

I have spent $800.00 on a new sub and another $500.00 on MFSL and DCC 24K Gold CDs.

In the past 2 months, I have spent about a net total of $1700$ on amp and pre while spending $0 on music... BUT... I did rent out 47 cds from the library that I burned into FLAC (improving my total music from 30GB to 60GB).

Well, I just spent $200 a few weks ago on a Black Diamond Racing record clamp. In the past three months I've spent about $800 on vinyl, SACD's and Redbook CD's. About 6 months ago I did pop serious coin ($4000) for an Esoteric DV-50S though - but that's a rare occurance.

Joey - not trying to start a raging debate or anything, but your comment has me curious. When you say that you "rent out" CD's from the library, do they actually charge you a rental fee? Do they anticipate that people are going to copy the CD's, and does the rental fee pay back royalties? Seriously - not finding fault, just curious.

MiTT said:
Well, I just spent $200 a few weks ago on a Black Diamond Racing record clamp. In the past three months I've spent about $800 on vinyl, SACD's and Redbook CD's. About 6 months ago I did pop serious coin ($4000) for an Esoteric DV-50S though - but that's a rare occurance.

Joey - not trying to start a raging debate or anything, but your comment has me curious. When you say that you "rent out" CD's from the library, do they actually charge you a rental fee? Do they anticipate that people are going to copy the CD's, and does the rental fee pay back royalties? Seriously - not finding fault, just curious.

I was going to ask but decided to let it go!

Equip vs. Music...

Well, Ive saved an additional $500. towards equipment over the last three months. :) I've spent $600 on music - CD's SACD's, DVD's, not counting $100. for Madelien Peyroux tickets... :p

Equip vs Music

Well, it's been a very unusual month for me..
about $4K on equipment, actually, $5K with the rack and a Sony 4000 remote on order (that's Canadian) and about $150 in DVD's that I replaced (given up in a separation)
- Sony 32" Bravia XBR II
- Marantz 7600 universal disc player
- custom built a/v unit
- Monster Pro 3500 power center
- LOTR SE extended edition set, my first SACD: dark side of the moon
- now that I can do SACD, I'll be searching for recommendations
See my 'Morphed' system for details & pictures
normally, i'm about $1K in equipment and $1K in movies/music per year

Robin said:
Well, Ive saved an additional $500. towards equipment over the last three months. :) I've spent $600 on music - CD's SACD's, DVD's, not counting $100. for Madelien Peyroux tickets... :p

Definitely count live music!

MiTT said:

My local library does not charge for CD rentals.... and the librarians themselves told me that they know that everyone copies the CDs...

So, I said... ok....

Joey :)

Joey_V said:
My local library does not charge for CD rentals.... and the librarians themselves told me that they know that everyone copies the CDs...

So, I said... ok....

Joey :)
OK, so I won't go there right now - but I may start a different thread to ask the question about buying music vs. ripping music. Not trying to put you on the spot Joey - I know lots of people do this. Don't know how much of Pandoras box I want to open...

Something else just occured to me though about those of you who have all of your music in electronic formats only. Let's say that something tragic happens and your Squeezebox sh!ts the proverbial bed, hard disc crash or something - did you just loose your entire music collection? Again, not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, just curious about this aspect of it all. I've actually been giving some thought to a music server I saw at the RMAF.

Ripping / Saving CD's On Computer...

MiTT said:
Something else just occured to me though about those of you who have all of your music in electronic formats only. Let's say that something tragic happens and your Squeezebox sh!ts the proverbial bed, hard disc crash or something - did you just loose your entire music collection? Again, not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, just curious about this aspect of it all. I've actually been giving some thought to a music server I saw at the RMAF.
Tim,

I have been told on this thread:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1920&highlight=Ripped

Their are ways to back-up your ripped CD's songs to other back-up hard drives at the same time, either externally or in a special ripping back-up system. It's fairly expensive initially but protects all of your ripped songs to deticated hard drives. The "RAID 5" system, which Peter Hogan discribed in the above thread, sounds promising to me... :)

Last edited:
MiTT said:
OK, so I won't go there right now - but I may start a different thread to ask the question about buying music vs. ripping music. Not trying to put you on the spot Joey - I know lots of people do this. Don't know how much of Pandoras box I want to open...

I have all my music on an external Western Digital 250gb myBook Hard drive... and is backed up by my internal hard drives. The only reason I keep an External is for my music, so it gets little access workload compared to my regular system hard drive, less chance for workload related failure.

For me, it was my Sequels in September, and a few albums in the meantime; two or three tops. Main reason for not so many albums is the change in speakers. I'm going back through my existing music collection, because I've got a lot of rediscovering to do! I'd say $900 tops in the last three months. $800.00 of that for the Sequels.

As far as I recall I did not buy any CDs, SACDs, DVDs during the last three months. Like Tube60, I'm in rediscovery mode.

Since August I bought new amplification (passive pre plus mono blocks), and on the source side, a Squeezebox and an Apple iMac. The latter has exactly one task to perform: stream music. A second surge protector/power conditioner was needed also to provide additional high current outlets for the new amps. If I include the iMac, my 3-month total for hardware should be under 4.8k. I consider it all well spent.

Robin said:
Tim,
I have been told on this thread:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1920&highlight=Ripped

There are ways to back-up your ripped CD's songs to other back-up hard drives at the same time, either externally or in a special ripping back-up system. It's fairly expensive initially but protects all of your ripped songs to dedicated hard drives. The "RAID 5" system, which Peter Hogan described in the above thread, sounds promising to me... :)

Hi,
I am presently using a Promise FastTrak card for my RAID 5 setup (I used IDE drives in my setup, but if I were to do it now, I would go with SATA drives). It has been 100% reliable so far (knock on wood...:)).

Several motherboards now have RAID 5 capability right on the motherboard, without a seperate card. If you're planning on building your own music server, you might look into going that route.

Peter

Back