How do you show off your system.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris03053

Reaction score
Ok everybody, what i wanna know is how do you show of that "baby of a system" to all those that think we are crazy for spending that kind of cash,time,sweat, hours trying to figure out where that f*** hum is coming from. Did i already say cash?
What DVD,CD or LP do you play for them. What i alway love to show first is the THX intro. The second version one with the rain and thunder. I have really scared the pants off people with that one.

Last edited:
chris03053 said:
I have really scared the pants off people with that one.

Did someone say scarred? Well then the new Digital Video Essentials has a lot of grate content, specifically it will walk you threw the do’s and don’t of setting up a home theater. In one part on they’re the narrator Says we will now check the audio capabilities of your system, and immediately bullets start firing and ricocheting in all speakers for 6 or 7 second’s and ending with a final shot and a brass chasing spinning/Zipping threw the air and hitting the ground. Those that are not ready for this will **** them self’s, because you never see it coming, it’s grate.

Other scenes I like to use. Opening of Blade II, BadBoys 2 the Haitian car chase, finally of the Matrix, big chase and Burly brawl in the Matrix Reloaded, opening and super burly brawl the Matrix Revolution, StarWars I, II, III, IV, V, VI.

That’s my short list. But you get the drift.

When I show off two-channel:

I just bring them into the room. They are usually in awe when they see the speakers, wires, and amps all lit up. It's sort of like going to a Mobile 5-star restuarant. Set-up and presentation are key... touch the eyes, and the other senses are sure to follow.

Next, I have them sit in the sweet spot, and ask them if they have a song they would like to hear.... something that 'they are familiar with.' If not, I usually put in Patricia Barber's- Modern Cool SACD. And I keep quiet.

What I really enjoy is when they come back to my house and bring their own CD's. That speaks volumes to me.

...and I might add. My stereo is actually showing off to me. The other day I was listening to Harry Connick JR. and I heard so many things I never knew were on the cd, i.e., Musicians breathing from playing various brass instruments, whispering in the background, etc. I never heard all that through my old B&W's with Rotel amps.

What else...? Last week I had some new acquaintances over who just got picked up by a major record label. They were asking for help on identity branding, etc. Anyway, I put in their CD, and the band Mgr and two of the musicians commented on how they have to go back to the studio and re-record their work. Obviously the comment came up that the, 'normal joe' doesn't have a stereo like this and it will never be noticed; but they were still convinced that their work didn't sound so good, and they wanted to make it better.

Last edited:
SugarMedia said:
When I show off two-channel:

...and I might add. My stereo is actually showing off to me. The other day I was listening to Harry Connick JR. and I heard so many things I never knew were on the cd, i.e., Musicians breathing from playing various brass instruments, whispering in the background, etc. I never heard all that through my old B&W's with Rotel amps.

Did you find any of that annoying? I have an Oscar Peterson SACD where there is whispering and even a cough. I found it to be very distracting. :(

taylode said:
Did you find any of that annoying?

No, not at all. I think that's the wonderful part of my (our) stereo's ability to recreate musical realism.

How do I WOW them...

I usually play the DVD of "Gladiator" (DTS-ES), the first war scene between the, 'Goths' and the 'Romans'. Sometimes I'll play the DVD of "Master And Commander" (DTS), the first ship battle scene. Although, any of the DVD movies, I have reviewed on this web-site, would be excellent to impress any unsuspecting visitor to my system... :D

For music, let them choose a CD, but if they want me to choose, I'll put in the Queen DTS-CD, "A Night At The Opra"..., or any of the Jazz CD's I have reviewed here at the ML Club...

If my audiance are children, I'll play the DVD "Toy Story". Children love the opening THX, robot fling around and the cows mooing... :D. The DVD The Incredibles (DTS) is excellent for children too.

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
I start by putting on Huey Lewis and the News' "Hip to be Square" with a discussion of this songs importance and meaning within the band's catalog of songs. I then put on my raincoat and pull out my axe.

Just kidding! That's a scene from American Psycho.

For CDs:
"Toward the Within" by Dead Can Dance. DCD's live sound is much more powerful than their studio recordings. If you can get past the moniker you may find that this band is not what your perception may have been. A great recording. Tracks: Rakim, American Dreaming, Cantara.

"Kid A" by Radiohead. Lots of sublties. Tracks: Kid A, National Anthem, How to Disappear Completely.

"100 Days Off" by Underworld. I just can't resist! Must. Test. Bass. Capabilities. Great chill/trance music. Tracks: Sola Sistim

For DVD-A:
"Guero" by Beck. An aggressive surround mix that does not come off as gimmicky. Plus these are some of Beck's best songs. Tracks: Scarecrow, Broken Drum, Black Tamborine.

socialxray said:
I start by putting on Huey Lewis and the News' "Hip to be Square" with a discussion of this songs importance and meaning within the band's catalog of songs. I then put on my raincoat and pull out my axe.

Very funny X-

And I second the Dead Can Dance. It is definitely good show off music. I scared my wife with, "song of the stars." There's a part when these wind instruments come in full force and switch like lightening between the two speakers. good stuff.

cheers.

Robin said:
I usually play the DVD of "Gladiator" (DTS-ES), the first war scene between the, 'Goths' and the 'Romans'. Sometimes I'll play the DVD of "Master And Commander" (DTS), the first ship battle scene. Although, any of the DVD movies, I have reviewed on this web-site, would be excellent to impress any unsuspecting visitor to my system... :D

For music, let them choose a CD, but if they want me to choose, I'll put in the Queen DTS-CD, "A Night At The Opra"..., or any of the Jazz CD's I have reviewed here at the ML Club...

If my audiance are children, I'll play the DVD "Toy Story". Children love the opening THX, robot fling around and the cows mooing... :D. The DVD The Incredibles (DTS) is excellent for children too.

Cheers

-Robin
Nice choice of movies. I have to check on that Gladiator scene. Oh yeah, that Master and Commander scene way cool.
LOW BASS RULES!!

Along with many of the artists described above, I like to demo Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.

There's a part in the middle where he starts layering-in various instruments, which is entertaining in itself. The "scared" component is that after listening to the track for awhile, it hits a relatively quiet, repetitious section - out of nowhere, a voice states the name of the next instrument. The sudden voice in the midst of a long musical track will make you jump right out of your skin.

For the record, the music existed before it was chosen as the theme for The Exorcist. The director felt that it perfectly fit the mood of the film. This is also allegedly the *first* record released by Virgin Records.

Oldfield played most of the instruments himself and layered them in on a multitrack tape unit (we're talking early seventies here). On a later album done in the same fashion, he spent three years building up tracks and managed to wear out the master tape... and had to start over...

for DVD music, depending on the audience, I'll play Diana Krall Live in Paris, or Jane Monheit Live at the Rainbow Room, or Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits, or Barbra Streisand Timeless, or Toto 25th Anniversary. Any of those are sure crowd pleasers.

If it's a jaded audiophile audience, I'll play The Best of Sessions at West 54th, Vol. 1, or Dejohnette, Hancock, Holland and Metheny - Live in Concert.

for quick demos on DVD, the DTS sampler no. 9 has several good ones. Star Wars Episode 3, and the one that really knocks people off their seats, IMAX Super Speedway.

for pure stereo, just about any well-recorded and clean LP will get people shaking their heads.

.............and I thought I was the only one who knew about Jane Monheit. Her album "Taking A Chance on Love" in amazing. If you ever get the chance to see her live, she is great. :)
Diana Krall is wonderful but I think Jane Monheit has more of an edge and by far a much better voice.

Jeff :cool:

Yes, Jeff, I love Jane too. :)

Her dvd of Taking a Chance on Love is great too. I wish I could see her live like you did.

She is every bit as good as she is on her CD as you well know from the live one. Jane is very down to earth and does not appear to have an "attitude" as many other singers. I believe she knows she has a gift and has studied and uses it well.

Check her website for concert dates.

Jeff

Oops, sorry too. To get back on topic, there are demo discs I use for multichannel. The more impressive ones are from AIX Records.

Specifically, Zephyr: Voices Unbound. They were recorded in a circle, so that in the sweet spot it feels like they are all singing to you and for you.

zephyr2.gif

Others from the same catalogue, that I like, are:
# Jim DeJulio Jazz Quintet
# Cheryl Bentyne - Among Friends
# Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir

The big band discs are supposedly awesome too.

Cheers.

The Wow factor...

I have other CD's and film's, which I sometimes use to produce, extreme Wow factor in my system:

* Eva Cassidy's - "Song Bird" CD
* Moody Blues - "Days of Future Past" (DTS 5.1) CD

* "Saving Private Ryan" - (DTS) DVD - The "D" Battle scene...
* "Kill Bill Vol 1" (DTS) - The Battle with the 'Crazy 88' scene...
* "Se7en" (DTS-ES 6.1) - Opening sequinces...
* "Titanic" (THX / DTS-ES 6.1) - The sinking sences...
* "What Dreams May Come" (THX / DTS) - all of the dream scenes.

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
I have other CD's and film's, which I sometimes use to produce, extreme Wow factor in my system:

* Eva Cassidy's - "Song Bird" CD
* Moody Blues - "Days of Future Past" (DTS 5.1) CD

* "Saving Private Ryan" - (DTS) DVD - The "D" Battle scene...
* "Kill Bill Vol 1" (DTS) - The Battle with the 'Crazy 88' scene...
* "Se7en" (DTS-ES 6.1) - Opening sequinces...
* "Titanic" (THX / DTS-ES 6.1) - The sinking sences...
* "What Dreams May Come" (THX / DTS) - all of the dream scenes.

Cheers

-Robin
I just bought Kill Bill 1. That Battle with the Crazy 88 scene is just great. And the beginning scene it's sooo crisp. Oh man, that David Carradine he should have won a oscar for "Bill"

Another Wow film is, "War Of The Worlds"...

chris03053 said:
I just bought Kill Bill 1. That Battle with the Crazy 88 scene is just great. And the beginning scene it's sooo crisp. Oh man, that David Carradine he should have won a oscar for "Bill"
chris,

I just saw / reviewed, "War Of The Worlds", The first scene, of a space ship coming out of the New Jersey street, just blew my socks-off... My Descent subwoofer was definately working overtime... :D I'm going to start using that scene to Wow my friends to my system... :D
I agree, with you about David Carradine, he's great. Kill Bill vol. 1 is just an awesome film... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Latest posts

Back