How do you know if your panels are going out?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The speakers and panels are all 20 years old. Has anyone had panels last longer than that and still sound good without audyssey? Wondering if it makes sense to buy new panels for $3k or more if the rest of the speaker might need work. Got a feeling the woofers are probably going out too since they don't produce much bass now. How about the electronics? Guess there is at least a crossover too? Seems like it could be similar to buying an old home that turns into a money pit.

The speakers and panels are all 20 years old. Has anyone had panels last longer than that and still sound good without audyssey? Wondering if it makes sense to buy new panels for $3k or more if the rest of the speaker might need work. Got a feeling the woofers are probably going out too since they don't produce much bass now. How about the electronics? Guess there is at least a crossover too? Seems like it could be similar to buying an old home that turns into a money pit.

For the panels give contact Russ Knotts at http://www.justrealmusic.com/ He refurbishes the panels at a fraction of the cost ML charges. I'm having a pair of Summit and a pair of Aeon i panels refurbished, will report back when I get them back in about a month's time.

For the panels give contact Russ Knotts at Home Page He refurbishes the panels at a fraction of the cost ML charges. I'm having a pair of Summit and a pair of Aeon i panels refurbished, will report back when I get them back in about a month's time.
Ok, if after washing them they don't become more lively i may just do that.

What does he do to them to refurbish them? Looking forward to hearing your report!

I see he's in Ohio near Cleveland. Thats within reasonable driving distance for me. I think I may talk to him about maybe bringing all 3 speakers in, the Prodigies and theater, for refurbishment. That way id have a pro look them over and replace/ repair all that's wrong. Then id bet they would sound as good as new?

What you say here is what I suspect. When audyssey is off the speakers do sound bass heavy and dull.

I vacuumed and sound might have improved slightly, but nothing great. Im scared to wash them, worried I might damage something. Ive had the panels off before and wish I had known about washing then. Taking them on and off is a pain, but i can do it.

I dont have to worry about the wiring harness getting wet? Maybe put a plastic bag around it with a rubber band?

I've seen the posts on here and videos. So after rinsing them I should pour some distilled water down the panels to get any minerals off? Just kinda pour it down the panel?

How long to dry them before use? 24 hrs?
You do have to worry about the wiring harness getting wet. Place the harness in plastic bag and make it water proof by tying rubber band or insulating tape around the mouth of the plastic bag. Do not worry the panels will not be damaged if you wash them with water. Use a water pipe to gently pour tap water all over the surface of the panel. I washed my CLS panels for a minute per side and stopped washing one side when the water pouring down the panels was not murky but transparent ,clean. Do not use soap of any kind. To be on the safe side I did not pour water on the top edge surface of the panel. After rinsing them thoroughly with tap water pour distilled water down the panels all over the surface front and back. This will remove the mineral impurities found in tap water. After washing use a towel to soak up the extra water on the surface of the panel. To play it safe give the panel 5 days to completely dry and before use.

One mistake that I made was that after rinsing the panels and after a day had passed to check if there was water in the sides or dry, I gently squeezed the panel. Where I had squeezed the panel to check if they were dry the panel front and back surface had separated from the sides. So be patient and just let the panels dry over five days.

Last edited:
One mistake that I made was that after rinsing the panels and after a day had passed to check if there was water in the sides or dry, I gently squeezed the panel. Where I had squeezed the panel to check if they were dry the panel front and back surface had separated from the sides. So be patient and just let the panels dry over five days.
Thanks for that advice. I can see myself doing that same thing. I will treat them real gentle then and just let them sit. 5 days without my speakers! :oops:

Ive got some old Definitives in the basement I may bring up if I end up doing this.

I hear a lot of members cleaning and repairing their mains, but has anyone ever washed their center channel speaker? I've got this theater im wondering about. Its 20 years old too.

20200725_133552.jpg

Serious question. How exactly do you vacuum? Like what sort of vacuum and attachment? I worry that by vacuuming I’ll somehow damage the panels.

aside from that the mere thought of cleaning them in the shower makes me very scared indeed!
I use a portable/handheld/car/mini vacuum cleaner without any attachment. By vacuuming you will not damage the panels for this way is recommended by Martin Logan. When I vacuum I let the plastic nozzle of the cleaner come into contact with the stator. So far a little contact has not scratched or dented the stator.

Water spoils electrical goods. But there is nothing electrical in panels however the panel wire or connector needs to be protected from water contact.

Last edited:
I use a portable/handheld/car/mini vacuum cleaner without any attachment. By vacuuming you will not damage the panels for this way is recommended by Martin Logan. When I vacuum I let the plastic nozzle of the cleaner come into contact with the stator. So far a little contact has not scratched or dented the stat.

Water spoils electrical goods. But there is nothing electrical in panels however the panel wire or connector needs to be protected from water contact.
Thats how I vacuumed. Just used the plastic nozzle and no brush. On the Dyson the vacuum was strong so lots of suction.

Serious question. How exactly do you vacuum? Like what sort of vacuum and attachment? I worry that by vacuuming I’ll somehow damage the panels.
I purchased a third-party Horse-hair round brush to connect to my Dyson, as that will not mar either the stator or the Mylar if they were to get that deep. Been doing that for 15+ years, no problems. Vacuum both sides of the panels.
I keep the Horse-hair brush stashed near my speakers, so that all it ever gets used for.

I purchased a third-party Horse-hair round brush to connect to my Dyson, as that will not mar either the stator or the Mylar if they were to get that deep. Been doing that for 15+ years, no problems. Vacuum both sides of the panels.
I keep the Horse-hair brush stashed near my speakers, so that all it ever gets used for.
How often is it necessary to vacuum the panels? Do you think that if you vacuum often that it will allow you to not have to wash them as often? Wondering how often you have washed your panels. Sorry for all the questions!

This is my first set of ES speakers, so Im a newb. Owned them for about 5 years or so now but been kinda complacent on just letting them sit and didnt realize how they didnt sound well until I turned off the audyssey. Boy does it make a difference.

Im wondering how good the speakers will sound if I get the panels back working like they should. Feel like I am probably missing out on a lot of good sound!

I see he's in Ohio near Cleveland. Thats within reasonable driving distance for me. I think I may talk to him about maybe bringing all 3 speakers in, the Prodigies and theater, for refurbishment. That way id have a pro look them over and replace/ repair all that's wrong. Then id bet they would sound as good as new?
I think the Prodigy woofers should operate to factory standards if on the circumference of the woofer there is no separation or tear. If the rubber surrounds on the circumference of the woofer have separated from the paper cone then they need refoaming.

How often is it necessary to vacuum the panels? Do you think that if you vacuum often that it will allow you to not have to wash them as often? Wondering how often you have washed your panels. Sorry for all the questions!
No problem, we've all been there. I vacuum every three months on principle, and more often if I have them on longer than my usual 20 Hrs a week.
Thanks to that, and the fact they've been in a dedicated room for 20+ years, I've never had to wash them. Rears are 27 years old, and might benefit from a wash at this point. Fronts and center are 12 years old and as-new.

I think the Prodigy woofers should operate to factory standards ...
If they are like the 12" woofers on the Monoliths I have of the same era, the answer is no they are likely not to standards. There was a measurable and noticeable improvement with new woofers.

They might still run OK, but I'd not stress them with much work below 80Hz.

If they are like the 12" woofers on the Monoliths I have of the same era, the answer is no they are likely not to standards. There was a measurable and noticeable improvement with new woofers.

They might still run OK, but I'd not stress them with much work below 80Hz.
With the depth I sub I have, it doesn't seem to matter. It does all the work down low.

For the panels give contact Russ Knotts at Home Page He refurbishes the panels at a fraction of the cost ML charges. I'm having a pair of Summit and a pair of Aeon i panels refurbished, will report back when I get them back in about a month's time.
Thank you for the referral. I think I'm going to have him help me with my panels too. I'm excited about getting some spectacular sound out of them. Just have to use my old definitive while they are gone. I will miss the Prodigies.

Ok, so a brush can't damage the film? I read some saying it might be risky so I played it safe.

I have been using attachment similar to one pictured below on a Craftsman ShopVac. I brush across the pane and then vertically, front and back. I would NOT poke at the panel tho' ML says panel will still operate if perforated.

1595781575518.png

aside from that the mere thought of cleaning them in the shower makes me very scared indeed!

ML says the film is very strong. I'd be more concerned about a brush than anything else - but as others have said - they have used brushes for years without any issue.

For me, I cup my hands around the nozzle so that lots of pressure builds up, and cover the panel surfaces that way.

Use a Dyson or some other high-end vacuum that keeps the dust inside it (a ducted vacuum would be the ultimate) - no point using a cheap junk thing that might suck strongly, but just blows everything back out into the room!

Latest posts

Back