How did that dog get inside the speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
She really likes it when I play "Dogs" from Pink Floyd's Animals. This song has a dog barking in the background and she usually runs over to the speaker looking for the dog. And no that's not my wife!

Attachments

• RCA DOG.JPG
    RCA DOG.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 327
wow.. great photo.. Love dogs - we have two golden retrievers.

The super nerd in me says this in jest:

Because she runs over to the speaker, that tells me that you need to work on the placement of your speakers because she should not know where the music (barking) is coming from. The speakers should disappear and she should be totally confused as to where the barking is coming from..

THEN you know you got your logans totally dialed in AND it'll be fun to see her all confused!! ;)

TomDac said:
that tells me that you need to work on the placement of your speakers because she should not know where the music (barking) is coming from. The speakers should disappear and she should be totally confused as to where the barking is coming from.. THEN you know you got your logans totally dialed in AND it'll be fun to see her all confused!! ;)

Tom, I thought the same thing too. Since I don't have this particular song I can't check it myself, but sometimes music such as Floyd switches back and forth between channels. Perhaps this is the case here.

Nevertheless, it's a really beaitiful dog, and would make for a great insight into an advertisement. Especially since dogs have the best ears around.

that tells me that you need to work on the placement of your speakers because she should not know where the music (barking) is coming from. The speakers should disappear and she should be totally confused as to where the barking is coming from.. THEN you know you got your logans totally dialed in AND it'll be fun to see her all confused!!

That's a great idea Tom. I'm going to use my dog to help me dial in my speaker placement. 'Bout time she put those dog ears to work and earned a milkbone!

Craig said:
She really likes it when I play "Dogs" from Pink Floyd's Animals. This song has a dog barking in the background and she usually runs over to the speaker looking for the dog. And no that's not my wife!

Hi,
Our dog would to do that with Pink Floyd's 'Several species of small furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving with a pict' (from the album Ummagumma). Near the end of the song, you hear footseps in the right channel coming down a flight of stairs, then clomping across from right channel to left on a concrete floor, then swatting a fly with a newspaper. The dog would always listen, with head cocked, to the footsteps from the 'invisible man' walking across the room, her head following the footsteps...

Peter

Craig said:
That's a great idea Tom. I'm going to use my dog to help me dial in my speaker placement. 'Bout time she put those dog ears to work and earned a milkbone!

I see the future tweak coming out. We could call it the "Doggy Tweak"? And for those of you wondering, yes, I have had my coffee today!

MarkNewbie said:
I see the future tweak coming out. We could call it the "Doggy Tweak"? And for those of you wondering, yes, I have had my coffee today!

LOL.

MarkNewbie, wouldn't it be funny to place a long write up in a Serious tone on another forum and see what kinda replies we get.

SugarMedia said:
LOL.

MarkNewbie, wouldn't it be funny to place a long write up in a Serious tone on another forum and see what kinda replies we get.

It is good to know that someone else's mind is thinking exactly what mine was thinking. I came real close to doing that in this thread but had something else that I wanted to post in another thread. I was thinking something along the lines of "You know your speakers are perfectly positioned when the dog looks frantically from side to side while emitting a harsh whine. Until that point is reached, you must continually reposition your speakers. It is imperative that both the jerky side to side movement and the whine are observed together. This tweak is not complete unless both are abserved in unison."

Peter Hogan said:
Hi,
Our dog would to do that with Pink Floyd's 'Several species of small furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving with a pict' (from the album Ummagumma). Near the end of the song, you hear footseps in the right channel coming down a flight of stairs, then clomping across from right channel to left on a concrete floor, then swatting a fly with a newspaper. The dog would always listen, with head cocked, to the footsteps from the 'invisible man' walking across the room, her head following the footsteps...

Peter

See - you obviously have your speakers positioned perfectly!!

Our dog does this with all sorts of tracks. Just out of interest, he only does it with the 'logans - dosen't really care what sorts of noises are coming out of my secondary system (Infinity speakers). Seriously!

That is one beautiful dog, Craig.

Last edited:
hehe...thats kinda the same thing that would happen...and i guess i had the perfect setting..cause my dog would stand up on her back legs...and look at the screen....sometimes whining...barking...but that was during the RCA intro with all the dogs....was quite funny to watch :D

I don't have a dog.............but

Give Roger Water's Amused to Death album a spin. The opening to track 1 also has a dog barking, but you would swear that the dog is barking in your next door neighbor's back yard!

Actually, there's lots of interesting spatial effects on this disc as it was recorded/mastered using Qsound which can present an extremely wide sound field using two-channel, with some sounds even sounding like they are coming from behind you.

I suggest we call the dog tweak... "Woofer Optimization" <g>. I suppose the feline equivalent would be a "Stat Cat Scan" <gg>.

sleepysurf said:
I suggest we call the dog tweak... "Woofer Optimization" <g>. I suppose the feline equivalent would be a "Stat Cat Scan" <gg>.

I like where you are going with this. Only issue I see is that the "Woofer" conotation would lead one to believe we are talking of tweaking the bass while the "Stat Cat Scan" conotation suggests a tweak of the mids and highs. And we are talking about proper speaker alignment here. I would like to propose that we start with the "Doggy Tweak" as our first step and make "Woofer Optimization" and "Stat Cat Scan" our follow up tweaks. I see something big in the works here folks. OH BOY! Maybe one day the audio world will look back on this as the beginning of the evolution of "Animal Tweaks"? And, we can all tell our Grandkids that we were a part of it!

That's a GREAT album...

Acoustat said:
Give Roger Water's Amused to Death album a spin. The opening to track 1 also has a dog barking, but you would swear that the dog is barking in your next door neighbor's back yard!

Actually, there's lots of interesting spatial effects on this disc as it was recorded/mastered using Qsound which can present an extremely wide sound field using two-channel, with some sounds even sounding like they are coming from behind you.

Not only is this a sonic spectacular of an album, but it's quite good artistically as well. I'd say it's my favorite Roger Waters solo effort. I get a chuckle every time I listen to the line where Mr. Waters suggests what he'd like to see happen to Andrew Loyd Webber's fingers in "It's a Miracle".

Once you finally achieve "Woofer Optimization" and complete an accurate and precise "Stat Cat Scan" your system will be properly setup. You can then relax and enjoy. This state is also known as "Sonic Bliss".

She is available for consultation, but by appointment only. Oh, and one more thing, she prefers a good Cabernet!

Attachments

• SonicBliss.jpg
    SonicBliss.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 67
Back