Quantcast

HORNs, Horns and more horns...

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

Robin

Reaction score
:) I have been observing that their is a whole counter-culture that is totally committed to horns. Horns of every shape and size. Horns made out of wood, plexiglass, resin, plastic, metal etc.... As I sure all of you are very much aware, many speaker companies include horns in their speaker system's they manufacture like Klipich, JBL, Pioneer to name a few and their many others. What's more many folk have made their own horns - DIY projects. Their are whole societies, which discuss / talk horn speaker and horn technology and almost nothing else, but horns i. e., horn systems (some of which I've already posted on other threads), how to make horns, just everything about horns and horn technology. It is truly amazing and fascinating this entire area of horn speakers.

What do you think about horns?

Attachments

aliveatfive

Reaction score
I once heard Avantgarde Unos at a Stereophile show in NYC. They were driven by 3 watt single ended triode tube amps. They played very loudly for such a small amount of amplification. I found they sounded nasal and constricted. I did not like them. But some audiophiles love horns and SETs.

Rich

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you are saying there are a bunch of "horn-y" audiophiles?

Robin,

I, too, have a fascination with horns that goes back to my enjoyment of the original Klipschhorns back in the early '80s. Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to really audition any horns since then, but I think they make for some artistically beautiful speakers. Personally, I love the look of the Avant-Garde Trios. I wish I could audition a pair hooked up to a SET amp. Maybe one of these days. . .

Any other Loganites have experiences with horn speakers?

kach22i

Reaction score
Can horns do Rock & Roll?

I like the weird and different, horns are cool. I have not heard any true horns in almost 20 years but as I recall they have a presence in the room much like that of the band being in the room with you.

I need a little more elbow room myself.

My music teacher used to be mean sometimes and I freak easily. :D

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Staff member
Reaction score
Horns...

I've heard the Klipsch laScala and also Klipschorns. They can go SUPER loud with very little power and yes they can rock hard.

My buddy Mark has a pair of the K-horns and is powering them with a Carver magnetic field amplifier (can't remember which one.. it's the little cube lookin one). The sound is very shrill to my ears and I didn't really care of it. I would love to hear them being driven by a good quality tube amp, though.

:)

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
TomDac said:
My buddy Mark has a pair of the K-horns and is powering them with a Carver magnetic field amplifier (can't remember which one.. it's the little cube lookin one).
M-400 :D

I've heard a pair of LaScallas myself, they had great dynamics.

risabet

Reaction score
IMO only horns can do dynamics with anything like the alacrity of the real thing. That being said, most horn systems have tonal anomalies that make then unacceptable for me, not to mention the large size.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
TomDac said:
I've heard the Klipsch laScala and also Klipschorns. They can go SUPER loud with very little power and yes they can rock hard.

My buddy Mark has a pair of the K-horns and is powering them with a Carver magnetic field amplifier (can't remember which one.. it's the little cube lookin one). The sound is very shrill to my ears and I didn't really care of it. I would love to hear them being driven by a good quality tube amp, though.

:)
Tom, you are oh-so right, how anybody could listen to a horn loaded speaker with that (God awfull amp, IMO) is beyond me. I remember back in the day a local shop in my area tried to drive a pair of Maggie MG III's with it, like trying to pull an elephant with a moped ! K-Horns with some of the great tube gear available would be sweet.

Robin

Reaction score