Home Theater Set Up Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soloracer951

Reaction score
I was just wondering if a subwoofer was necessary for a home theater set up. ML speakers are biampable correct? If using ML speakers in front and rear has anyone considered wiring up the rear panels for rear surround and the rear bass drivers as "subs"? I'm thinking that the rear speakers normally wouldn't see a lot of signal and that the bass drivers would hardly be used. Does this make sense to anyone?

soloracer951 said:
I was just wondering if a subwoofer was necessary for a home theater set up. ML speakers are biampable correct? If using ML speakers in front and rear has anyone considered wiring up the rear panels for rear surround and the rear bass drivers as "subs"? I'm thinking that the rear speakers normally wouldn't see a lot of signal and that the bass drivers would hardly be used. Does this make sense to anyone?

Don´t do that...the woofers at ML speakers, are part of the higher lows info and lower mids. To understand better what I´m saying, disconnect the woofers from the panels and listen them...you will make a mess if you do that.
Trust your ears, and happy listening,
Roberto. :D

soloracer951 said:
I was just wondering if a subwoofer was necessary for a home theater set up.
No, but it's more fun. :D

ML speakers are biampable correct?
Some are, if the speakers has four binding posts it can be bi-amped, but dont bi-amp the summits.

If using ML speakers in front and rear has anyone considered wiring up the rear panels for rear surround and the rear bass drivers as "subs"? I'm thinking that the rear speakers normally wouldn't see a lot of signal and that the bass drivers would hardly be used. Does this make sense to anyone?
I would not do this, you will louse to much info by bypassing the woofers. If you look at the Martin Logan specs you will see most Logan’s are crossed over around 250-400Hz everything under that point go’s to the woofer. That a lot of info to loose.

soloracer951 said:
I'm thinking that the rear speakers normally wouldn't see a lot of signal and that the bass drivers would hardly be used.

Rear Surrounds (not rears in a 7.1) get a bunch of work in Movie applications. From experience I have found that a Full Range speaker works the best for your surrounds. But I realize that some cannot afford or have the room for full range surrounds.

Dan

Back