Home Theater Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
I am considering expanding my 2.1 system: Summits and pair of Descents to a 5.1 system which would incorporate Stage and 2 Script-is.
Electronics include Pass X0.2 preamp, X350.5 amp. for front channels.
I would like opinions on the following:
1-Surround Processor
2-Multi-channel amplifiers (3-channel preferred but would accept 5-channel if none is available).

Room is 21 x 15 x 8

My system (in a not too good photo) is viewable on the new Dream Systems thread under babydoc's system

Price is not an object. The entire system has no compromises.

Surround pre/pro with video: Anthem D2; without video Bryston SP2 (I own). Simaudio Titan 3 channel amp.(I own 5 channel) Your satisfaction guaranteed or your money cheerfully refunded.

babydoc said:
Price is not an object. The entire system has no compromises.

Love spending other people's money. :) A few words of warning. Please excuse me if I am telling you stuff you already know but your quote smacks of an enthusiast terribly excited about the great sound they are getting and thinking they can do a heap better.

Every system is compromised. I think most of us arrive at the compromises that irritate us the least. Even if you have won the lottery and cost genuinely is no object you will still suffer compromise. To my way of thinking most DVD s are compromised secondary to the attenuated data stream that goes to each channel cf cd, SACD, DVDA etc. You can't beat that.

Your room will be a compromise and you can bury money in a room without spending a cent on equipment.

In short we need a little more information. Can you post room plans, photos etc. There are plenty of people here who can give great advice for free. Get Everest's book on acoustics and have a real good think about what you are trying to achieve. Above all think seriously about basic room dimensions and construction, electricity supplies, ventilation, aesthetics (I'm not into the home recording studio look) before you spend a cent on equipment.

Look forward to assisting you along with other much smarter people here.

Kevin

If price is not an issue go with top of the line meridian equipment.

800s_frt_400.jpg

The 861 is about as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Tiberium said:
If price is not an issue go with top of the line meridian equipment.

800s_frt_400.jpg

The 861 is about as good as it gets.

Agreed, there's nothing out there at any price point that can beat an 800 / 861 combination. I don't know about US prices, but in the UK, you budget around £23,000 for the two.

Cheers,

David

CEDIA’07 is next month. I would hold off on any Home Theater purchases tell after seeing whats new and coming soon at the show. It would suck to spend all that money on an expensive Meridian setup only to find a newer unit unveiled at Cedia with HDMI 1.3.

My 2 cents.

Zip3kx07 said:
CEDIA’07 is next month. I would hold off on any Home Theater purchases tell after seeing whats new and coming soon at the show. It would suck to spend all that money on an expensive Meridian setup only to find a newer unit unveiled at Cedia with HDMI 1.3.

My 2 cents.

Completely agree. While I heartily recommend any Meridian gear, I'd wait or at least get my dealers written assurance of cost to upgrade to HDMI 1.3 versions of the 861 or G68.

Personally, I'm sitting it out till mid-'07 to buy any more processors or source gear.

Agree with Tiberium, if money is really no object, get the eight series Meridian gear now. Best surround available. Don't worry about CES or the next big thing which is always around the corner anyway. If its worth while, Meridian will incoroporate it into the 861 since its card architechture allows it to be updated to any new development in video or audio.

However, at the risk of committing heresy here, if money was no object, I would also buy a complete Meridian digital surround speaker system. The flexability of this system and its sound quality is incredible. Might still keep the ML Descent for the bass though. :)

However, at the risk of committing heresy here, if money was no object, I would also buy a complete Meridian digital surround speaker system.

Now we are talking.

But if you want state of the art stereo you need a second setup. As superior as the Meridian setup is on multichannel there are amny players/dacs that are better for pure 2-channel performance. I`ve owned Meridian 861 for 6 years and the 800 and G98.

Viking said:
But if you want state of the art stereo you need a second setup. As superior as the Meridian setup is on multichannel there are amny players/dacs that are better for pure 2-channel performance. I`ve owned Meridian 861 for 6 years and the 800 and G98.

The reasons for pure two channel disappear totally if you have a decent center.

If using a Meridian digital speaker system the 7K or 8K are great centers, but the best bang for the buck is the DSP5500. That’s an awesome center. And physically, it’s huge, bigger than a regular 5500 if I recall. A buddy has them and it sure sounds nice.

Get a nice Martin Logan center though (but you have to either build it yourself, or get an extra pair of matching Summits and use one as the center), and the Meridian’s start to not be so attractive. I’ve heard a full 5xDSP8K + DSP 5K plus subs at a Meridian dealer, and while amazing, it could not match my system for resolution.

Meridian room correction on the G68 or 861 is worth the price of admission, as is the TriField processing for stereo sources.

I never listen to stereo anymore, and now that my center is as good as or better than the monoliths, no reason to even try.

Good point Jonathan. The center channel has been the perennial weak link in multichannel since it was invented. With Meridian trifield and a great center speaker, there is no real reason for stereo IMO.

I`ve owned Meridian 861 for 6 years

Has this been upgraded to the newest hardware?

Get a nice Martin Logan center though (but you have to either build it yourself, or get an extra pair of matching Summits and use one as the center),

Biggest downfall of ML.

Babydoc,

I just want to say that I remember you from our exchanges on audiogon's systems page. I like your price is no object approach, however, this is beyond me, so I'll leave the tips and comments to the more experienced.

Just wanted to say hello. :)

Last edited:
Babydoc, in the here and now (knowing that HDMI 1.3 is coming and anything you buy now could become obsolete) your best bets would likely include the Outlaw (which can work with the newer HDMI sources with an adapter), the Sunfire and the Anthem. I have heard the Sunfire and the Anthem (the Anthem sure sounds better but costs about twice the Sunfire and 5 times the Outlaw). Of course if your money is burning your wallet you can always go with the Halcro as well. If you just want something to get you by until HDMI 1.3 is supported may I humbly suggest a used (read discontinued) Myryad MDP 500 which I am currently enjoying on my ML based system in concert with the also discontinued Proceed Amp 5. Both should be available on Audiogon for a prayer and the Proceed will drive your ML's to ear splitting levels! Take the money you save and treat your room-mucho bang for the buck! Good luck!

JonFo said:
The reasons for pure two channel disappear totally if you have a decent center.

Not to my ears. :confused:

The best systems I have heard are two channel, all tube, and all analog (vinyl or tape).

HOME THEATER preamplifier LEXICON MC12 HD
AMPS HALO JC1 MONOBLOCS X 3 FOR L/R/C (THEY SOUNDS BEST WITH SUMMITS COMPARED TO ANY PRICE RANGE AMPS I EVER HEARD AND IN THEIR PRICE RANGE ARE A STEAL)
ARAGON 3005 FOR SIDES AND REAR
MUSIC PREAMPLIFIER HALCRO DM8
DVDPLAYER LEXICON RT20 EXCEPT IF YOU BYE THE GOLDMUNT FOR ONLY 80.000 $
CD PLAYER AYRE CX5 OR JADIS OR GOLDMUND DEPENTS ON YOUR BUDGET(IF YOU REALLY DON'T CARE THEN TRY GOLDMUND REF)
DAC DCS OR THETA GEN VIII
POWER CONTITIONER PS AUDIO P1000
SPEAKER CABLES NORDOST VALHALA
INTERCONNECTS SILTECH FORBES LAKE
POWER CABLES SILTECH SPX 20+30

SO IF BUDGET IS NO OBJECT BYE THEM.

Back