Home Theater Build (System #701?) - Statement 40XWs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0mp

Reaction score
Posted briefly in another thread but was asked to do a dedicated post here.

In the middle of a large home theater renovation (3rd upgrade in a year - I should probably stop now). I'll start with the new set up:

New Equipment List:

LCRs: 3x Martin Logan Statement 40XWs
Surrounds: 6x Martin Logan Edge
Atmos: 6x Martin Logan Sistene (4XC)
Subs: 2x JL Audio 13.5” in-wall subs, 2x Martin Logan Dynamo 1600x
Amplification: McIntosh MC402, MC255, 2x MI254
Receiver/Pre-pro: McIntosh MX170
Acoustic Treatments: Mix of Kinetics VersaTune and TAD panels throughout the room

Video Processing
: MadVR Envy Extreme
Content/Media: Roku, Kaleidescape, Nvidia Shield
Projector: Sony VPL GTZ380
Screen: 14.5ft wide 2.35:1 Stewart StudioTek G4 1.3 acoustically transparent screen

Getting to this build has been quite a journey. I fell in love with the Martin Logan electro static sound about 12 years ago, and went from Martin Logan ESLs, to building a media room in my last house with the Impressions 11A, and then decided to build a home theater around the Renaissance 15A and Illusion center. The old combo sounded amazing but a few things were bothering me. I have a small-ish theater room (15"x20"x8ft), and with a riser + 2 rows of seats, the speakers and stage along the front made the room feel small. Also I was limited to 138" for the screen because of sightlines. I've been wanting to do a wall-to-wall screen for a while, and I was already pretty invested in McIntosh Amps and Martin Logan speakers so the 40XWs seemed like a great fit, potentially. I went to demo the 40XWs at a Magnolia store in Texas a few months ago, and walked away fairly impressed. The sweet spot was huge and they just filled the room with sound and had this immense verticality.

Not going to lie, It was a bit of a leap of faith as I haven't seen any real reviews or owner comments anywhere, but I'm a believer in Line Source Array tech in general and a fan of some of ML's choices in the 40XW. We're about a week from finishing so won't be able to post real impressions till then, but can't wait.

A few notes:

- We didn't really have enough room in the front to build a false wall, and have huge speakers behind the screen, which is why I wanted to go with in-walls, including the JL in-wall subwoofers in the front. Their set up is pretty ingenious, they have a suspended enclosure that fills the stud cavity and attaches by a ball and rod, with padding all around it. Additionally there's a 13.5" driver at the bottom that has a surprising amount of give forward and back. We're still doing 2x Dynamo 1600 subs in the back.
- We're going from 2 side surrounds to 4, so each row has side speakers at the appropriate side locations. The original theater had Edges for surrounds, and although I looked at the 7XW it wasn't worth the additional cost to upgrade.
- I always thought the Helios 12s for Atmos speakers were ok but not great, and I think the upgrade to the Sistine (4XC) should be significant. I'm excited to hear them as they come with a built-in backbox and should have significantly better dynamics with the multiple drivers.
- Went back and forth on the pre-processor, also looked at the Trinnov Altitude 16, the MX 170 isn't quite as flexible but still solid and should do what I need. Might revisit this down the line.
- The baffles/backboxes on the 40XWs are MASSIVE, you can see in the second photo, along with the in-wall sub enclosures, but it's hard to grasp the sense of scale from just the pictures.

I'll make a second post with info/pics from the old theater.

Attachments

• 648399473.jpg
    648399473.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210721_003035.jpg
    20210721_003035.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20210721_163943.jpg
    20210721_163943.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210723_162104.jpg
    20210723_162104.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 109
Ok, not being much of a HT guy I'll ask a dumb question......... does an acoustically transparent screen drop down in front of all your panels ?

Ok, not being much of a HT guy I'll ask a dumb question......... does an acoustically transparent screen drop down in front of all your panels ?
Yeah, and I think most commercial movie theaters have that. IMO it really helps make the sound coming from the screen more real.

You mentioned how you have a riser. Is that like what a movie theater has where there are steps going from one level to the next? I think that would be great if you have two or more rows of seats. How far does it rise? I'd be doing it in a basement and the ceiling would only be 9 foot high. Do you need a higher ceiling? The whole plan on how you do that confuses me.

If you built one in the basement, it almost seems like you might want to excavate deeper by the screen and have the floor slope down.

You have a ton of serious firepower. My question is what size room is that all in? I'm figuring in the new Top Gun movie you should have the exact sensation of standing on a carrier deck with a jet engine screaming in your face. Might want to wear earplugs for that! Awesome set up!

Looks like they no longer make The Edge model. Suppose this is the replacement?

Yeah, also the Statement series also has the 7XW and the 5XW here.

You mentioned how you have a riser. Is that like what a movie theater has where there are steps going from one level to the next? I think that would be great if you have two or more rows of seats. How far does it rise? I'd be doing it in a basement and the ceiling would only be 9 foot high. Do you need a higher ceiling? The whole plan on how you do that confuses me.

I've got a riser that is about 8" tall, which is short enough it doesn't need a step up, attached a photo of where the riser is in the room.

My room dimensions are about 14.5'x20'x8', and I don't have a problem with the riser height at all or the ceiling height. I think you should be more than fine with 9' ceiling

Here's an older photo looking at the back row with the riser:

20201206_182041.jpg

If you built one in the basement, it almost seems like you might want to excavate deeper by the screen and have the floor slope down.

Yeah I thought about that, I don't need the height yet, but have that in my back pocket for the next go-round.

You have a ton of serious firepower. My question is what size room is that all in? I'm figuring in the new Top Gun movie you should have the exact sensation of standing on a carrier deck with a jet engine screaming in your face. Might want to wear earplugs for that! Awesome set up!

Yeah, maybe a little overkill for the room (14.5'x20'x8') for sure but hopefully it will be worth it! :)

Attachments

• riser_blueprintPNG.PNG
    riser_blueprintPNG.PNG
    74.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Getting closer!

Here's the front wall now, just needs the screen and ceiling mounted acoustic panels.

20210727_163331.jpg

Posting a bit about my old theater with pics...

Old Equipment:
LCRs
: 2x Martin Logan Renaissance 15A LR, Martin Logan Illusion Center
Surrounds: 4x Martin Logan Edge
Atmos: 6x Martin Logan Helios 12
Subs: 2x Martin Logan Dynamo 1600x
Amplification: McIntosh MC402, MC255
Receiver/Pre-pro: Marantz SR8015
Acoustic Treatments: Mix of Kinetics VersaTune and TAD panels throughout the room

Video Processing: MadVR Envy Extreme
Content/Media: Roku, Kaleidescape, Nvidia Shield
Projector: JVC NX9
Screen: 138" diagonal 2.35:1 Stewart StudioTek G4 1.3 screen (not AT)

I originally went off of this Martin Logan marketing shot for the theater design from the Renaissance/Illusion marketing materials:

Screenshot_20210724-200034_Chrome.jpg

So I ended up having a front stage built with curtains on the side:

20201206_182521.jpg

That was before I went on a blackout kick, blacking out everything that I could from along the front, sides, and the stage. Just using black velvet fabric from Joanne Fabrics along with black matte acoustic panels made a HUGE difference in picture quality:

20210424_172424_2.jpg

It actually kinda cemented for me how much I wanted the wall-to-wall screen, even with blacking everything out I found myself wanting to dull out or cover the 15A panels (which would be patently criminal obviously). Also, I waited almost 10 months to get acoustic treatments in, and omg did they make a night and day difference in the sound, separation, and overall home theater sound "bubble".

I loved the 15A sound from the primary seating position (center-right theater seat), listening to 2 channel stereo music was amazing, I just found myself listening less and less and wanting more of a real theater feeling.

Figure it'd be worth updating, there are still some minor cosmetic things to do but the theater has been operational for about a month. Here are some photos!

Front Stage/wall-to-wall screen:

817A7082.JPG

There are going to be black acoustic panels across the bottom front (also re-adding the black fabric on the actual stage top for better contrast)

Behind the Screen Lights:
20210818_013617 (2).jpg

Not quite finished with the presentation but the 40xw's look awesome lit up behind the screen. Acoustic panels are now stapled to the wall and there is going to be another set of Hue strip lights along the bottom.

Finished theater:

817A7144 (2).JPG

817A7175.JPG

Love the picture, but especially love the sound.

I've gotten enough hours now to have the 40XW's fully broken in, and OMG are they amazing. There's just so much detail and there are a few scenes where I've heard new details that I haven't heard before. I generally use Shallow from "A Star Is Born" as a demo, as the audio and video are pretty great and there were a few details that I can hear now like Lady Gaga's footsteps walking to the stage and her breathing through various lyrics. The 15A's were amazing, and there was a certain in-concert/MTV unplugged feeling and sound from them especially in this song, but I'm super happy with the upgrade.

Also, I can't imaging having a better center speaker, the clarity of dialogue is pretty crazy.

Attachments

• 817A7146.JPG
    817A7146.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Wow - had never really thought about using a line-source array for a center... just did some reading on the concept.. probably sounds like Tha Bomb!

Oh, and if you happen to have a set of 15As and an Illusion laying around, feeling despondent about no longer being the "center" of attraction... I can probably find a use for them... ;) ... :ROFLMAO::LOL:... :cry:

Russ

Oh, and if you happen to have a set of 15As and an Illusion laying around, feeling despondent about no longer being the "center" of attraction... I can probably find a use for them... ;) ... :ROFLMAO::LOL:... :cry:

Haha they were sold unfortunately :p

What size screen is that? Looks huge! Still using the JVC NX9 projector?

It's a 14.5' wide screen, 1.3 gain, and the projector is now a GTZ380, getting about 100 ftL which is pretty crazy but amazing for hdr. I do think the front row might be a tad too close, but it's perfect for the MLP.

Does your floor slope down toward the screen, or is there a step somewhere? It looks like the back seating is up higher than the front, which is awesome. Just wondering what you did and how. The sloped floor would be incredible.

Wow - had never really thought about using a line-source array for a center... just did some reading on the concept.. probably sounds like Tha Bomb!
Uhm, not been paying attention, have you? :)

I can confirm that a vertical line array center is indeed Da Bomb, as I have been enjoying a seamless front soundstage since 2006 from my SL3XC.

But I bet that 40XW is even more impressive, as I've personally heard several Wisdom Audio (ribbon line arrays) with identical L/C/R setups and they are some of the best sound I've ever heard.

I've gotten enough hours now to have the 40XW's fully broken in, and OMG are they amazing.
Congrats on a truly awesome setup, I believe you that the 40XW is amazing indeed. The raw potential of that configuration is staggering.

While I understand the loyalty to Mac gear, that Trinnov is a way better processor. I can't wait to get an Altitude32 someday.
So maybe there is yet another 'upgrade' step for your system in the future. ;)

Latest posts

Back