Holy Moly- Costco selling Summits!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zip3kx07 said:
I just checked out MartinLogan.com and this poped up on the main page.

What ML needs to do is to BUY all 7 sets (STD2005 posted the insight infomation for us yesterday) of the speakers from COSTCO! ;)

OK, enough for me, on more post on this subject, I don't care! :mad:

I will post my other questions and need all you experience owners' help. :p

Last edited:
Tsd2005:

Tsd2005:

We can't know for sure that a contract is being broken (we haven't seen THEIR contracts); Unless, you're saying that ML has a boilerplate contract with ALL dealers that they would never make this kind of deal with Costco (or the likes)…is that the case?

Fellow clubbers,

I just got a confirmation from Costco that it accepts returns (not all, but most items) no matter how long ago the item was purchased! :cool:

Of course, Costco is free to qualify or change this policy in the future if it wants to. But, you just can't beat that deal, can you?

It's really tempting to buy that Summit, now, huh? Happy deliberations. :)

John said:
Tsd2005:

We can't know for sure that a contract is being broken (we haven't seen THEIR contracts); Unless, you're saying that ML has a boilerplate contract with ALL dealers that they would never make this kind of deal with Costco (or the likes)…is that the case?

Yes. Martin Logan has a contract that states that you can't discount the product more than 5% and you can't Trans-Ship.

So the Dealer has broken their agreement.

tsd2005 said:
Yes. Martin Logan has a contract that states that you can't discount the product more than 5% and you can't Trans-Ship.

So the Dealer has broken their agreement.

During my buying journey last fall I did not visit a single dealer that did LESS than 10%(most discounted between 10-13%), and they were all very legitamate dealers.

twich54 said:
During my buying journey last fall I did not visit a single dealer that did LESS than 10%(most discounted between 10-13%), and they were all very legitamate dealers.

and everyone of them breaking their dealer agreement.

Martin Logan if they catch them will pull the line. They did it to a store that had carried the line over 10 years.

Hey, I've seen this mentioned before about discounting. ;)

If I were in the market for a new set of speakers I'd jump at the Costco deal! How many of you have had to use the warranty on your new speakers? I'm so disgusted with the crazy markup on high end equipment. Not meant to slam you tsd2005. You are a legitimate dealer and have to earn a living.

tsd2005 said:
You act as if Dealers are kept in the dark by ML. ML is very close to their Dealers. We know their market strategy because they share it with us. I know all about Best Buy planning to have Magnolia's in every store by 2008. I know that ML Designer Series will be a Magnolia Speaker Line. I know that a lot of people that go into Best Buy and get amazed by the Clarity or its future replacement may just Google Martin Logan. What they will find is that bigger, better speakers exist. If 5% of the people who LOOK seriously at a Clarity at Magnolia end up looking at a pair of Vistas, guess what? I've won. I'm getting a client I never normally would have.

CostCo doesn't have a 20% "Markup." They have for the most part a 20 point line. Which means take 20% off the price they SELL it for to get their price. ML is not a 50 point line, it is in fact a 40 point line. Summits cost a dealer around $6,000. The Trans-Shipper in this case is making between $300 and $500. Leaving the $1,000 to $1,200 all that is left for CostCo. Which falls into the acceptable category for CostCo. So they're willing to carry the line.

It is costing CostCo NOTHING. They haven't bought the speakers from the Dealer. They've agreed to sell them online. When a pair is bought CostCo pays the Dealer. The Dealer ships it out themselves with a billing label.
I used to sell Ml's. My accomadation price was 50% off msrp. I think it was a 40% - 45% mark up.

Anyone prepared to buy a pair....

Seems like buying a pair would be the test....see what the shipping label says?

Should be easy to return!

Noob to this forum, but when I saw the summits on costco.com my jaw dropped, followed by some drooling, then researching what the F was going on!

Joe.

I saw this issue over on AVS and thought it way too interesting not to comment on. From the way I see it, the situation seems pretty straightforward:

- ML is NOT recognizing Costco as an authorized dealer. Therefore, any units purchased from Costco will not have honorable warranties.

- Costco's lifetime return policy is applicable on the ML items being sold. To some, this might be better than any warranty, even a store extended one. Since those units won't won't be repairable through ML (perhaps for a fee), Costco's only option will be to refund the purchase price in full. I'm assuming here that exchange won't be possible as they will only list the ML products for a short period of time, but that seems to be a pretty safe assumtption. So, if something goes wrong, you get a 100% refund to do with whatever you please - buy a new pair, buy something else, put the money back in the bank, etc

- The transhipper theory is almost certainly the explanation. It's the simplest and explains a lot. Also, it's a huge risk for a manufacturer who maintains custom dealer relationships to do something "back door" with a retailer like Costco. Going into BB Magnolia with lower end lines is one thing, going "semi-wholesale" with your flagship into Costco is entirely different. I'd be shocked if ML was really knowledgeable ahead of time about the end result (the units ending up for sale in Costco)

- I doubt there's a legal remedy ML can take other then terminating the dealer agreement. Costco has no liability and unless the dealer agreement includes monetary penalties for grey market transactions (seems highly unlikely), all they can do is cut the dealer off.

- The ML listings are very likely short supply and therefore won't last too long. So, anyone interested should make the move quickly. I don't see any risk in it given the applicable return policy. Heck, even if you decide later that you'd prefer the more standard dealer route with a warranty, you can return them to Costco for a full refund (you'd have to check on shipping charges though). Their return policy is pretty much a no questions asked thing so you can return them for a reason like this, or any reason really.

All in all it seems pretty straightforward. I don'tsee any "evil handedness" by ML, Costco or even the intermediary dealer. The dealer knew they were taking a risk and probably decided it was worthwhile. Or, they may have been about to drop the line or even go out of business shortly anyway, so doing this wouldn't matter much.

Just my $0.02.

Jeff

Back