Holy Moly- Costco selling Summits!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strewth! Glad I didn't buy a pair for 8,495 GBP here in UK (15,663 USD) :eek:

"Plausible" denial from ML

Sent an e-mail to Devin Zell. Asked the obvious question regarding how ML didn't know this was happening given the number of units COSTCO would need to buy to justify selling this product. He forwarded it to David Penrod, Sales Manager. Received response from Mr. Penrod this AM stating the authorized dealership only, great pride in our dealers, etc. He did not answer the quantity question or how ML did not know this was happenning. As they said in the movie "Independance Day", sounds like "plausible denial".

I thanked Mr. Penrod for his reponse and requested that he provide me with the information I requested. Will keep you all posted.

GG

One good note

The one upshot to all of this is that, I believe, Costco typically sells quality stuff! So, this is just another affirmation to the broader consumer audience that ML makes quality speakers! Notice that Costco is selling high-end ML's and not the other brands.

...Now, I would be bothered if Wal-Mart started selling Summits, too. :p

P.S.--I'm an avid Costco fan/member-shopper, but I'm not affiliated with Costco in any other way.

ML response update

Have exchanged a couple of e-mails with David Penrod / Sales Manager. He has assured me that ML is "staying on this".

GG

so what did we achieve?

Looks like all that was accomplished with the email exchange was you shut down a way to get better service and lower prices :) Costco has a fantastic return policy - you can either return and get money back, or exchange for new products: this is far better than 'repair' from manufacturer which is a very harrowing experience.
In addition, Costco's prices are obviously much better than the ML showrooms. I personally think that Costco should win this and continue to sell: I love ML speakers, but I can do without gouging and monopolizing.
I'm 100% certain Costco doesn't sell 'fakes'...

Neo said:
Looks like all that was accomplished with the email exchange was you shut down a way to get better service and lower prices...
Actually, as per ML's phone and written statement, they had known about this since last week, and were already investigating. We were not the one's who "alerted" them.

Also, as of this posting, Costco is STILL listing the Summits, and presumably would honor any orders placed. For those salivating over this deal, I say go for it! (I'm giving serious thought to it myself!)

sleepysurf said:
Also, as of this posting, Costco is STILL listing the Summits, and presumably would honor any orders placed. For those salivating over this deal, I say go for it! (I'm giving serious thought to it myself!)

I would go for it if I had the money. :(

Also, as of this posting, Costco is STILL listing the Summits, and presumably would honor any orders placed. For those salivating over this deal, I say go for it! (I'm giving serious thought to it myself!)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
You should go for it. Even if ML didn't honor the warranty (I think they would though) I'm sure Costco would allow a return. I would be willing to forego a warranty for $2500 discount anyway. This deal probably won't last very long. I gladly help haul them with my pickup and with setup.

I also see that Costco has the Dynamo sub for $449.99. Is this a good price?

If you can get away with a solid pair of Summits for $7500 + tax... at $8400 total... that's not a bad deal at all! Actually, that's awesome! The only way to get less is to buy used, and if you buy used, you dont have warranty either way. Atleast with Costco, you get their return policy.

Joey

Tax and authorized dealer discount

Joey,

For what its worth, I ended up buying my Summits from an authorized / out of State dealer. With the discount I received because of other items I bought, I probably paid around $9K and NO tax. That's pretty darn close to $8,400 without the worry of dealing with a "grey" market product. Seems like a no brainer to me.

GG

Just tried to buy a pair on line from Costco ...........won't ship overseas
gutted :(

Of course Martin logan knows about it

This have been an old trick, may be a one time deal or something, but not very new to me. Some one(may be your boss's wife or even your boss himself) walk in your office with a $2 mil check and ask you not to say a word just ship the product and you will do it! Most likely, they are testing water, to see how strong the reaction from the dealers and how do themselves (sales,customer service, production...) be able to cope . If they move their channels to 'Best Buy' and flood the markets with the products will it be more profitable than to go through little dealers? forget all your old customers who proud of their speakers, new channels will bring in whole new type of customers. Costco is not a perfect choice, it doesn't have enough high end eq. buyers! may be this is the reason they choose Costco, so it won't make too much noise. Bad idea to put Summit on the spot. I will use a lower end product, but hey, if you put Summit on, it will be easier for the boss to say, 'It's not us, do you think we are so stupit?!!!!'. and much easier to put off the fire from the dearers. But this moves will reduse the effect of knowing the customers response.

My point is THIS IS NOTHING NEW, it has been done all the time. It just a signal that they are testing their channels.

Last edited:
Here's my take on this situation...

I've been working in the wholesale food manufacturing industry for the last 9 years. Both companies I've worked for sell to Costco and I have worked with Costco's IT department extensively. I have a little bit of experience with how they get products into Costco and here's my take on this ML @ Costco deal:

First off, Costco does not purchase products from anyone except directly from the manufacturer. Costco needs proof that the product will sell, the manufacturer has plenty of inventory, the product meets their standards and they have recourse for customer returns. When Costco determines the product is suitable, they formally agree upon a cost that Costco will sell it for. This is a contract for a specific time period. If the Costco stores don't move enough of the product, they'll discontinue the item.

Because these are being sold on Costco's website (Has anyone seen them in the store yet?), I would venture to say that Costco will receive the orders and submit them directly to ML, who will then in turn, ship the units to the Costco customer directly or to a Costco store for customer pickup.

The customer will receive their speakers and there WILL be a Costco packing list, receipt, address label, etc on it so the customer will think it came directly from Costco, even though it may have come directly from ML.

I believe that the story that we got from ML is BULLSH1T - they struck a deal with Costco to sell stuff at a lower price and of course the customers who paid full price are p1ssed, so they are spinning this story to keep the natives from getting to angry, so to speak.

I don't care that ML is selling thru Costco... good price - good return policy and who cares if you can't listen to them first - most of the ML dealers don't have the speakers properly positioned or set up correctly anyway. That's all fine.. what I don't like is this B.S. story that ML has told us about trying to track down some "dealer" somewhere that just happened to have a warehouse full of high end speakers that have only been on the market a short time and convinced Costco to carry them online!

So c'mon Martin Logan Corp... tell us the truth. We won't tell anyone.. we swear it. ;)

Last edited:
Back