Holy crap, prices are insane on Aragon amp!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the 2 channel Aragon amp I bought new in 2014 for $4400. I just asked the store where I bought it what the price now is for a new one and he said $11,500! Insane.

Is that kind of rise in price common on many audiophile quality amps? This is the only brand I have experience with. I'm curious to know if others have risen like this. Amps going up in price 2.6 X the original price in only the last 8 years. I was thinking about trying 2 of their monoblock amps in place of my single 2 channel amp. At $23,000 I guess you can say that ain't happening.

Robert I'm pretty sure the newer Aragon amps are garbage compared to the ones from the previous century. I could be wrong but I seem to recall looking at the specs and they were considerably lighter in weight and no longer doubled down on power, a sure sign of a 'turd' in my book !

Robert I'm pretty sure the newer Aragon amps are garbage compared to the ones from the previous century. I could be wrong but I seem to recall looking at the specs and they were considerably lighter in weight and no longer doubled down on power, a sure sign of a 'turd' in my book !
If so, then I may be sitting on a gold mine, as I have a bunch of the originals sitting around collecting dust in my basement. They'd be easier to send to a welcoming new home if I had the boxes though... :unsure:

Well, the one I have was made in 2014 and seems pretty stout. It's 65 lbs or so for the 2 channel. Not sure if the power doubles, I'd have to look.

I just can't get over how much price has gone up. Does thst mean that a Pass Labs amp that costs $12,000 now only cost $4500 back in 2014?

So Pass Labs is indeed another level up in performance? With the price of Aragon now, the class A/B amps are priced about the same.

Well, the one I have was made in 2014 and seems pretty stout. It's 65 lbs or so for the 2 channel. Not sure if the power doubles, I'd have to look.

I just can't get over how much price has gone up. Does thst mean that a Pass Labs amp that costs $12,000 now only cost $4500 back in 2014?

I haven't kept track but back in the nineties when I purchased my Aragon (original Mondial design) they were very well regarded and proved it with their specs. I had thought afterwards they were purchased by Klipsch ? and that's when the specs I referred to went in the wrong direction ?

Perhaps since I haven't kept track they have in fact done an 'about face' ? if so, great !

I haven't kept track but back in the nineties when I purchased my Aragon (original Mondial design) they were very well regarded and proved it with their specs. I had thought afterwards they were purchased by Klipsch ? and that's when the specs I referred to went in the wrong direction ?

Perhaps since I haven't kept track they have in fact done an 'about face' ? if so, great !

I bought my 2004 in the 80's to drive a pair of Spica TC50's.
Still using the 2004 today for front channels of surround sound. I bought a 2005 for the other channels.
The 2004 has been turned on almost continually since purchased.

I used the 2004 with Monodial's 24K pre and their DAC that I don't remember the model. A friend is still using them to this day. Even back then the Pre and DAC came with separate power supplies.

Its owned by Indy Labs now. Made in Indianapolis. I feel like I got a great deal on mine, but the price now is as high or higher than Pass Labs. The specs on Pass are better.

Back