Holo May Dac Level 3 in the House

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I firmly believe that digital formats are getting better each year. Speaking of quality recordings, I must say I haven't come across any decent ones on LP... they're all so very mediocre. The last ones I got my hands on were a fluke! Labels like Groove Works, Yarlum, Opus and Mo-Fi were very good but of late nothing really great to consider buying. So I've held off for now, and found some top notch digital recordings from FIM, Impex, and JVC Ultra High Def, really top notch! Hence, the reason I'm not upgrading my TT. I was seriously thinking about it, since I've used the Rega Planar 8 for a while now. Was considering two kinds, Michel Gyrodec and the Michel Orb but what's the point?

Might as well sit back and enjoy digital and the few quality recordings that I have on LP. Hopefully, the LP will improve... hoping!
Cheers, RJ

Hi @roberto, I was a bit frustrated last night as I could not get my SACDs played through the May. It simply does not lock. CDs and DVD Audios are playing well but not SACDs. I fiddled around with the output menu of the player making it to output bitstream, LPCM, PCM or DSD and the May will not lock in. I know you are using your laptop/software to stream music perhaps through the USB input.

Would anyone have any advice regarding this? Unfortunately, HOLO Audio does not have much writeups about setup and connection or trouble-shooting.

A lot of
I don't want to enter into a debate, but I think that there are good analogue recordings and also there bad analogue recordings. Same thing for digital. In now days there are fine digital recordings, what this video and tel me what do you think:

Happy listening!

Great tune Roberto! So many layers to that song..

She was born in Holland, when was a kid, about 8 years old, the school teacher told her: look, here is a trumpet, take it home a do your best to learn how to play it, and you can play with our school band. She did try, and finally got to make it sound, then enter in a classical music school, and at 14 years old she graduate as a trumpet player. Her dad did travel a lot and he liked the Salsa music. So she got this kind of music in her brain. When she was 17, she start to play latin music in a Holland's latino band. She came to Cuba and there she met her husband who is a music producer from Colombia. Now of course she lives in Medellin, Colombia and she has her own band. Here is another song by her and her band:

Seach for her in YouTube, there are good recordings...and she really is having fun playing latin music.

Happy listening!

Hi @roberto, I was a bit frustrated last night as I could not get my SACDs played through the May. It simply does not lock. CDs and DVD Audios are playing well but not SACDs. I fiddled around with the output menu of the player making it to output bitstream, LPCM, PCM or DSD and the May will not lock in. I know you are using your laptop/software to stream music perhaps through the USB input.

Would anyone have any advice regarding this? Unfortunately, HOLO Audio does not have much writeups about setup and connection or trouble-shooting.
As far as I know the players with DSD possibility do not out put DSD format. Sorry, it is your CD player. On the other hand, the computer that I use is this one:

This is monster computer, and it is only dedicated for my music files. Get it used at owclarry.com. This is an apple outlet. I use HQ Player by Signalyst and Aurdirvana.com

The high resolution files are played though USB, not coax or optical link. The unit has I2S inputs via HDMI connector, but I ended using the USB. To my ears, it is the best way to get the most of performance and quality audio.

She was born in Holland, when was a kid, about 8 years old, the school teacher told her: look, here is a trumpet, take it home a do your best to learn how to play it, and you can play with our school band. She did try, and finally got to make it sound, then enter in a classical music school, and at 14 years old she graduate as a trumpet player. Her dad did travel a lot and he liked the Salsa music. So she got this kind of music in her brain. When she was 17, she start to play latin music in a Holland's latino band. She came to Cuba and there she met her husband who is a music producer from Colombia. Now of course she lives in Medellin, Colombia and she has her own band. Here is another song by her and her band:

Seach for her in YouTube, there are good recordings...and she really is having fun playing latin music.

Happy listening!

Oh man! Everyone's really enjoying the performance, they all seem fully immersed in it, and that's the spirit! If only more people enjoyed their music, we wouldn't have meaningless wars and cukoo birds like Putin!
I guess as they say, music cleanses the soul...
They all seem such a happy bunch, she's very talented! They all are!

Cheers to those wonderful tunes!
Woof! RJ

Happy listening!

Thanks @roberto for sending these great music links. I really admire your knowledge of music. I am crazy about upbeat latin music with lots of biting horns, percussion, etc. - big fan of Poncho Sanchez.

As far as I know the players with DSD possibility do not out put DSD format. Sorry, it is your CD player. On the other hand, the computer that I use is this one:

This is monster computer, and it is only dedicated for my music files. Get it used at owclarry.com. This is an apple outlet. I use HQ Player by Signalyst and Aurdirvana.com

The high resolution files are played though USB, not coax or optical link. The unit has I2S inputs via HDMI connector, but I ended using the USB. To my ears, it is the best way to get the most of performance and quality audio.

Thanks @roberto, I was also suspicious of the copyright protection enforced by Sony/Philips. One visit to Cambridge Audio's website confirmed that is the case. Oh well, I suppose I have to still let the player decode the DSD tunes for now. A computer set-up will not work for me. My next purchase will be a dedicated streamer transport. I have got an eye on the Auraliac brand.

Check the Exasound streamer...exasound.com

Here is another great latin percussionist Giovanni Hidalgo, Santana's first band conga player. He has a special way to make music. In the video the main artist is playing type of mandolin. It has 10 strings and are two strings at the same time per musical note.

The white hat at the center is Giovanni.

Regarding the latin music, my friend, my brother Luis Enrique Mejia Godoy from Nicaragua composed this song. I made the arranges and I am playing the Spanish guitar:

Please tell me about the quality of the recording...

Last edited:
I firmly believe that digital formats are getting better each year. Speaking of quality recordings, I must say I haven't come across any decent ones on LP... they're all so very mediocre. The last ones I got my hands on were a fluke! Labels like Groove Works, Yarlum, Opus and Mo-Fi were very good but of late nothing really great to consider buying. So I've held off for now, and found some top notch digital recordings from FIM, Impex, and JVC Ultra High Def, really top notch! Hence, the reason I'm not upgrading my TT. I was seriously thinking about it, since I've used the Rega Planar 8 for a while now. Was considering two kinds, Michel Gyrodec and the Michel Orb but what's the point?

Might as well sit back and enjoy digital and the few quality recordings that I have on LP. Hopefully, the LP will improve... hoping!
Cheers, RJ
Have you head the re-master of Abbey Road? That is easily the best sounding record I have ever heard. That kind of stuff is pretty much the only thing I am buying on vinyl these days. I hear what you are saying about records in general though, and I don;t even have a high end DAC!

-Geoff

@roberto, we are so lucky to have you on this forum. You have been very humble but you are so talented. I truly enjoyed the track. Man o man, I just wish I had more time to sit down and enjoy this fabulous music....retirement is not here until another 10 years. I hope the Lord will give me a chance to make it to that stage. keep on making good music, Roberto. "Usted es muy inteligenete y musical" - pardon my rusty espanol.

Have you head the re-master of Abbey Road? That is easily the best sounding record I have ever heard. That kind of stuff is pretty much the only thing I am buying on vinyl these days. I hear what you are saying about records in general though, and I don;t even have a high end DAC!

-Geoff
Yes! That's an excellent recording. It was being played at the one and only store in Melbourne that has some quality labels. I mostly buy from this chap but since lately he's now running out of stock. The owner mentioned the last time we spoke, that quality labels of vinyl are really getting short... there are far too many shortcuts happening with some generic labels doing all sorts of dodgy's... recording from very mediocre MP3 formats, and other low-quality digital formats and passing onto LP. This is not real LP! Hence, the poor quality. I've managed to keep my collection in good state but now that SACD, DSD and PCM formats are gaining real traction, I'm only buying vinyl if it has that wow factor... otherwise I pass. He also agreed on that. He's got a top-notch TT rig, with a serious lineup of Koetsu carts and Helix TT's. He won't settle for anything mediocre. So when he gets some new labels, he calls me up for a listen. We evaluate together and then if good, I bring them home. The last ones I bought were from Yuko Mabuchi Trio Vol 1 &2 playing Miles Davis, those labels were very good, since then nothing compared to that. So I'm still searching...

Cheers, RJ

@roberto, we are so lucky to have you on this forum. You have been very humble but you are so talented. I truly enjoyed the track. Man o man, I just wish I had more time to sit down and enjoy this fabulous music....retirement is not here until another 10 years. I hope the Lord will give me a chance to make it to that stage. keep on making good music, Roberto. "Usted es muy inteligenete y musical" - pardon my rusty espanol.
Thank you so much for your kind words! Your Spanish is good! The truth is that we are all grandpapas. And we love the music. I'm glad you like it. I have a Santana's cover "Flor de Luna". Here it is:

Thank you so much for your kind words! Your Spanish is good! The truth is that we are all grandpapas. And we love the music. I'm glad you like it. I have a Santana's cover "Flor de Luna". Here it is:

The Moon Flower sounds really good.

Latest posts

Back