Hi there

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. Years ago I had Request speakers. Then a ton of box speakers, now back to ML. The Request speakers/system was one of the most fun type systems I ever owned. Great at rock and most anything you threw at it. I paired them with Bryston at the time. 4B I think.

Best of luck and happy hunting.

100 years ago (lol)

stereo2.jpg

Welcome. Years ago I had Request speakers. Then a ton of box speakers, now back to ML. The Request speakers/system was one of the most fun type systems I ever owned. Great at rock and most anything you threw at it. I paired them with Bryston at the time. 4B I think.

Best of luck and happy hunting.

I have a pair in sight, but it concerns me that the grills are “lower” than in the pictures and the cloth protecting the woofer is a little bit
deteriorated. Also seem like there is dirt accumulated in tu holes of the grill. Is it normal?
Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by the grills bring "lower". However some deterioration in grill covers and particular matter in the panel after all these years is normal but not good.

This forum has multiple threads on panel cleaning and maintenance. It's a risk to buy any speaker this old. I would get every bit of info I could and listen to them.

If it does not feel right bide your time till you see something like at TMR where you know they have been tested and you have a return option. Good luck!

Thanks for the response, the black grill according to what I saw in pictures should be leveled with the wood finishing in the front at the top. This are a couple of inches below that. Can i return them? Yes but they are 1.8m tall. Not an easy thing to move. They sound GREAT, just a little less “bright” in the top end, but it may be a characteristic of the panels itself, I don’t have other to listen too and compare.

thanks!

Just one comment, I’m in Argentina so options are little for acceding something like this

If you have them already and you like them then that's a plus. If you are hearing good sound with no pops or anomalies that is great.

How they sound could be related to system synergy and be anything from cables to amp. However they may be dirty from dust accumulated etc.?

Martin Logan has instructions on how to vacuum panels. Maybe that will help?

It is extraordinarily durable. Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner, or you may blow them off with compressed air. When vacuuming or blowing off your panels do so to both sides, but focus the majority of your attention on the front of the panels.Aug 24, 2018
1656938536464.png

Premium HiFi Speakers for Home Theater & Stereo › faqs
Features and General Questions for Electrostatic Speakers - MartinLogan

I don’t have them yet, but my local high end dealer (not ML) allow me to listen to them so I did with a nice Class A Accuphase int amp.
Can you provide some guidance on where are the vacuum cleaning and / shower wash tutorials?

i saw it mentioned all over the places in the forum but not an actual link

thanks!

Here is what was sent to me by ML. Look for a FAQ on their website. Sounds scary to me to vacuum speakers but guys even take them in the shower lol. But it seems to be (vacuum at least) a recommended periodic maintenance. Maybe your speakers have never been cleaned?

How do I vacuum my MartinLogan electrostatic speakers?

Updated: Aug 24 2018

Vacuuming will be most effective if the speakers have been unplugged for six to twelve hours (i.e. overnight). You need not worry about the vacuum pressure damaging the "delicate" membrane. It is extraordinarily durable. Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner, or you may blow them off with compressed air. When vacuuming or blowing off your panels do so to both sides, but focus the majority of your attention on the front of the panels.

Hi, not an owner yet. Considering to buy a couple of reQUEST
You are considering an AMAZING speaker & I hope you get them!! I have 4) reQUEST (original owner) & love their sound! I use 2 reQuest for dual front left channel & 2 reQuest for dual front right channel for my home theatre. Each powered by Krell FPB600 / Anthem AVM60 Processor. Good luck with your purchase!!

You are considering an AMAZING speaker & I hope you get them!! I have 4) reQUEST (original owner) & love their sound! I use 2 reQuest for dual front left channel & 2 reQuest for dual front right channel for my home theatre. Each powered by Krell FPB600 / Anthem AVM60 Processor. Good luck with your purchase!!
Did you ever have to maintenance or clean/vacuum them to keep them up to par all these years?

The only maintenance I have done is to power them off for 12 hours, then vacuum the front & rear of the panels. Then restore power. We are non smokers (that is very important to avoid coating the panels). They sound amazing to this day & I wish I could find 2 more reQuests. I would replace, or add to the 2) ML SL3 in the rear with reQuests. I use 2) ML Logos for dual center (above & below the 12' screen).

Attached Photos: Look to the left of the home made amp rack to see the dual reQuest in the Left Front.
IMG_0162.jpeg
IMG_0160.jpeg
This is my first theatre where I hid all of the speakers, amps & processor. High WAF!

Last edited:
Nardix- Sounds like a good cleaning may be in your future if you grab these. I doubt the dealer will go for it pre purchase as they are not an ML dealer. Maybe make your best deal based on condition and then head home, set them up and vacuum that dirt you see out of there?

Let me know what you decide...

Welcome Nardix, Many of the ML speakers had problems with the panels sliding down.

ML would sometimes send out flat metal plates. With that you can lay the speaker down carefully and push the panel back up to the top where it should be. Piece of metal would be screwed under the speaker to the bottom of the base box so the panel would rest on it.

Without a picture it is hard to tell exactly what the fix would be for yours.
If you do a search there is at least one thread discussing this issue.

Post pictures if you can and it will be easier to help you.

Brad

I don’t have them yet, but my local high end dealer (not ML) allow me to listen to them so I did with a nice Class A Accuphase int amp.
Can you provide some guidance on where are the vacuum cleaning and / shower wash tutorials?

i saw it mentioned all over the places in the forum but not an actual link

thanks!
Welcome Nardix. Have you decided on them already?

ML calls the part "stat stops". I just called in and they sent them to me in the mail for free. Now, after covid, pretty much everything is through email. Try emailing them. Youll need to tell the what model speaker.

Back