Hi, I'm Kevin and I'm a dipole addict.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlmostHome

Reaction score
New member from Connecticut here. I finally decided I'm not getting any younger so I made the plunge to 13As. After my beloved Carver ALS went south after 26 years I monkeyed around with different brands like Sonus Faber and found some great sound but, well, you all know what was missing. The Carvers were a purchase 28 years ago because I couldn't afford comparable MLs. I am hopefully receiving them from Shawn in early September.

I'm not sure of the exact setup since those fun decisions can't be made yet, but I'm using Gato, Wadia, Michel, Pro-ject and PS Audio power now.
As you can tell by 2 turntables I listen to records, SACDs, CDs and stream

I can't wait! I've waited decades for this!
Of course that thread about washing the panels kind of freaked me out for a few.

New member from Connecticut here. I finally decided I'm not getting any younger so I made the plunge to 13As. After my beloved Carver ALS went south after 26 years I monkeyed around with different brands like Sonus Faber and found some great sound but, well, you all know what was missing. The Carvers were a purchase 28 years ago because I couldn't afford comparable MLs. I am hopefully receiving them from Shawn in early September.

I'm not sure of the exact setup since those fun decisions can't be made yet, but I'm using Gato, Wadia, Michel, Pro-ject and PS Audio power now.

Of course that thread about washing the panels kind of freaked me out for a few.
Almost home

You’re going to love the ML 13a’s, I have the the 15a’s and they’re out standing. If you’re able, get mono amplifiers you’ll love the difference. I’m using Spectral 400 mono amplifiers with spectral preamp.

My best, Jim

Welcome! Congrats!
They'll need quite a bit of time for break-in, so be patient. While the manual mentions 72 hours for this, and about that for the other, mine took 130 hours for the panels to settle down pretty completely.

^^^Allow me to echo TTOCS regarding break-in. Took a few hours for them to settle in. Having had my son-in-law and family visit recently went a long way, as we played quite a bit of music of types. In any case, you are in fro a real treat with the MLs.

Thanks for the warm welcome. This forum certainly comes across more friendly than some...
I won't underestimate the break-in time, although I still haven't figured out if it's my ears or the speakers doing the breaking in. No matter, either way it'll be fun!

Connecticut owner, Cool

I listened to the Carver ALS decades ago before I purchased my reQuests.

If you ever travel to upstate NY pm me and stop by for a brew.

The new 13a's I suspect will float your boat.

Happy listening.

Connecticut owner, Cool

I listened to the Carver ALS decades ago before I purchased my reQuests.

If you ever travel to upstate NY pm me and stop by for a brew.

The new 13a's I suspect will float your boat.

Happy listening.

As much as I appreciate the offer, I quit drinking 4 years ago. How do you think I paid for the 13As? =;0)

Nice choice the 13’s are definitely the sweet spot in the current ML line. Congrats.

-----------------------------
Although I'm quite "out of the league" of most owners here, I still kept my Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator, which I bought while using B&W speakers in the 1980s, although I haven't used it since I bought my M-L original Aerius hybrids decades ago. I found that with the M-Ls I preferred as near to a "straight wire" signal path as possible, although the Carver did widen the soundstage about 2X. However it's response wasn't quite "flat" ( has a 4-5db hump below 100Hz) and that distracted me from the music (I always bypass any bass/treble controls). The noise floor is also negatively impacted by the Carver (it's S/N is about 78db). Enjoy your time with M-Ls. I have, even with the inexpensive components I've assembled with the pennies I had available to spend. :giggle:🎼💿

Attachments

• carver-c9-sonic-hologram-generator.jpg
    carver-c9-sonic-hologram-generator.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 6
I had a Carver C1 preamp with Sonic Hologram back in the day. Not intended to be used with dipole speakers.

I had a Carver C1 preamp with Sonic Hologram back in the day. Not intended to be used with dipole speakers.

The Generator worked fine when I heard it with the Carver Amazing ribbon speakers.

Attachments

• Carver_Silver_Front.jpeg
    Carver_Silver_Front.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 10
I went back and re-read the C1 users manual. The concept behind sonic hologram is that you get 4 direct sound paths, L speaker to L ear, L speaker to R ear, R speaker to R ear and R speaker to L ear. The SH circuit attempts to cancel out the two cross ear terms so that you only perceive two direct sound paths, L speaker to L ear and R speaker to R ear. It sugests the speakers be placed far away from room boundaries to minimize early reflected sound. Could work with dipoles if you have the proper room treatments. Or you may just like the sound of it anyway. I used it some when I had box speakers. Could not get it to work well in my room with dipoles, Infinity RSII and Maggie MG12. The C1 was long gone by the time I moved on to ML.

-----------------------------
Although I'm quite "out of the league" of most owners here, I still kept my Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator, which I bought while using B&W speakers in the 1980s, although I haven't used it since I bought my M-L original Aerius hybrids decades ago. I found that with the M-Ls I preferred as near to a "straight wire" signal path as possible, although the Carver did widen the soundstage about 2X. However it's response wasn't quite "flat" ( has a 4-5db hump below 100Hz) and that distracted me from the music (I always bypass any bass/treble controls). The noise floor is also negatively impacted by the Carver (it's S/N is about 78db). Enjoy your time with M-Ls. I have, even with the inexpensive components I've assembled with the pennies I had available to spend. :giggle:🎼💿
I never had the SHG, and I stopped purchasing his electronics after his first CD player which didn't last. I later had a Perreaux CD player that sounded great at the time. It's problem was the huge piece of aluminum on the drawer so it would match the rest of the front. The drawer couldn't handle the weight for long...

Back