hi guys, just a question

• Thread starter pamela andersons gusset
  • Start date
MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pamela andersons gusset

hi guys, i was pointed to this site by my brother who has a pair of aerius i`s.
I have a question for you all, if you can answer it , that would be fab :)

i have a tube amp (35w tube technology unisis, 6ohm speaker taps, loads of current :) ) and was wondering if i would have any probs driving martin logans? anyone on here use low powered tube amps? I took my amp down to his house to demo it, and although it was at low volumes, will i have any probs over a period of time?
Its a toss up between audio physic virgos or some martin logans. i value soundstaging and openess as well as ease of listening:)

heres a pic of what i`m using at the moment:

new%20tt.jpg

cheers guys.

pamela andersons gusset said:
I have a question for you all, if you can answer it , that would be fab :)

i have a tube amp (35w tube technology unisis, 6ohm speaker taps, loads of current :) ) and was wondering if i would have any probs driving martin logans? anyone on here use low powered tube amps? I took my amp down to his house to demo it, and although it was at low volumes, will i have any probs over a period of time?
Its a toss up between audio physic virgos or some martin logans. i value soundstaging and openess as well as ease of listening:)

new%20tt.jpg

cheers guys.
Hola Pamela...and welcome to the club. Check the Martin Logan Vantage model...it can be driven by your low wattage amp with no problem, the Summits also will...these are the latest models and they have the new stat panels and self power low frequency woffers with the new stat tech micro-perf stators and have a sensitivity of 92dBs/watt/meter...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Hello,

I have no issues running my MLs with a 12-watt tube amp. My listening position is only 6ft away so this helps. I do not listen to any heavy metal mostly classical, electronic and Jazz. I do however use a separate subwoofer for some added bass.

Cherian

is your 12 watt amp push pull, or single ended?
also, what speaker taps are you using, 8 or 4 ohm?
classical tends to include many dynamic changes and can be a stressfull test for amps, so if your happy with using only 12 watts and you don`t have problems, then i`ll keep a lookout for some aerius i`s.
cheers.

is your 12 watt amp push pull, or single ended?
also, what speaker taps are you using, 8 or 4 ohm?
classical tends to include many dynamic changes and can be a stressfull test for amps, so if your happy with using only 12 watts and you don`t have problems, then i`ll keep a lookout for some aerius i`s.
cheers.

My amp is single ended and I am using the 4 ohm tap. The ML speakers I have are the Scenarios. The sound is clean and warm with my 12 watt tubes. I enjoy using the tube amp when listening to music but I switch to my Carver A500x when I am watching movies.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1800

Attached is a link to pics of my tube amp.

Cherian

ML's are the worlds best hybird speakers...

I have a question for you all, if you can answer it , that would be fab

i have a tube amp (35w tube technology unisis, 6ohm speaker taps, loads of current) and was wondering if i would have any probs driving martin logans? anyone on here use low powered tube amps? I took my amp down to his house to demo it, and although it was at low volumes, will i have any probs over a period of time?
Its a toss up between audio physic virgos or some martin logans. i value soundstaging and openess as well as ease of listening

new%20tt.jpg

cheers guys.
pamela,

Welcome to the ML Club!
My system is not a tubed system like yours, but I have read and am interested in all things audio... :) IMHO, I would advise you to go with ML speakers, as the electrostatic pannels are particularly great sounding with tubed amplifiers, 35w should be enough. Especially, because you value soundstaging and openess as well as ease of listening. ;)
HTH good luck on your audio quest.

It is good to have you here. :D

You've done the right thing by trying it out. If there is no problem with the audition then you should have no problem in the long term, unless there are some parts of the sound that you like initially that eventually start to dislike. Pay particular attention to the bass extension and control as these can get overlooked when you are overwhelmed by a great midrange. Also pay particular attention to any aspect of the sound that is further away from the norm - idiosyncratic aspects of the sound - and check with yourself that you can live with these long term. And make sure that you can turn it up loud enough for your tastes, preferences and room size without clipping. Careful!

What speakers are you planning to obtain - As Roberto said, the Vantage and Summits will work particularly well as they have powered woofers, but these are also the most expensive way into ML ownership. Of course, it will be essential to try your amp with whatever MLs you are planning to obtain.

If you value what you say you value in sound then you should be extremely happy with 'Logans.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Cherian-
You mentioned using the tube amp for music and switching to another for movies...what do you use to switch between amps? Or is it just a matter of which amp is on at the time?

Tj

I have been looking for an easy way to switch between amps. After much discussion it was determined that too much audio quality would be lost. I switch between amps the old fashioned way. I get up unplug the cables form one and hook it into the other.

Cherian said:
I have been looking for an easy way to switch between amps. After much discussion it was determined that too much audio quality would be lost. I switch between amps the old fashioned way. I get up unplug the cables form one and hook it into the other.
Hola Cherian...the only problem with this is that the female RCAs could start to loose good contact. They are not design to be plugging and unplugging...you could use a tape recorder switcher, but inverted...using the tape output connected to the preamp(output)...and the tapes one (input)to first amps and tape two(input) to the other amp...I do understand your concern regarding the loss of signal quality, but if you use good cables, it might work right. With the speakers, no problem if you have spade connector, bare wire or bananas with tighting screws that secures the bananas to the post...hope this can help, happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Why bother?

Cherian said:
Why go through all the troubles of switching amps? Why not bi-amp, having the tube amp on the panels and the Carver on the bass and be done with it all together? Just a thought.

Spike

I would love to bi-amp but, the ML Scenarios do not allow for this as it only has one set of bindings.

Just an FYI; I am in the process of designing a high quality AB amplifier switch. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Cherian

Last edited:
Attached is a schematic for a passive AB amplifier switch. I will be using a 3 position 6 pole rotary cam switch. Let me know if anyone has an interest in this. I am thinking of building a few up. I know its hard to read the Schematic I have attached. I dont know why but the max file size the system will let me attache is 19k.

Attachments

• A-B switch.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 145
Back