Hi Def DVD Influence?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawdaddy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
My current set-up: Arcam DV78 > Rotel RSP-1066 > Odyssey Audio Mono Extreme's > Ascent i's. Realistically I probably run 60% movies / 40% music, but it's with the music that I'm most critical. Given that, I believe the Rotel is my current "weak link" for 2ch listening. I only have a budget of about $2000 but here's what I'd like (or am concerned about)...
- Really great 2 ch performance.
- Like the "tube sound", but not sure I want to mess with the tube rolling / maintenance, etc...so I'd probably be happy with a good SS design.
- Would like balanced outs.
- Need to keep the system simple for the family use - leans me to a pre/pro.
- IF I go with a new pre/pro, I want to make sure it'll accommodate the next gen hi def DVD (blu-ray or HD DVD). So need HDMI switching and processing - I think - so I guess that's my issue. :confused:

Seems like a lack of info on hi-def dvd is keeping me from making progress. It looks like the new Arcam AVP-700 would fit my needs - but the HDMI inputs are for video switching only - so any audio would be via standard analog or digital connections. (not sure if this is a big deal or not)

Sorry for the ramble - but is anyone else "stuck" in a similar situation? Should I just forget the HT uncertanties and pick up a good (used i.e $1200) pre-amp with HT loop and a full function remote? (...and try to explain to my wife that it's a good use of $$$ and not too complicated :) )

Any suggestions? Thanks, Crawdaddy

HDMI switching makes your choices very, very limited right now. My recommendation would be integrate a good two-channel preamp with you multichannel preamp if you can, or wait for CEDIA on September 9-11. Most company’s will unveil there new products designed for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD at CEDIA those that don’t will at CES ’06 in January. It’s still unclear if Blu-ray will launch before or after Christmas that should be revealed at CEDIA. Both camps should give us their game plans at CEDIA.

Crawdaddy said:
Sorry for the ramble - but is anyone else "stuck" in a similar situation? Should I just forget the HT uncertanties and pick up a good (used i.e $1200) pre-amp with HT loop and a full function remote? (...and try to explain to my wife that it's a good use of $$$ and not too complicated :) )

Any suggestions? Thanks, Crawdaddy

They don't have a full function remote, and limited inputs, but the Meridian 565 I'm using can't be beat for the price. You can get a used DTS version for around $1k or so. It doesn't have video switching and has very limited inputs, but I've found 2 digital and one analog is all I need these days.

The interface on the 565 is a pain, and sometimes the remote frustrates me, but listening to it cures all complaints.

Back