Hi all!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcosis

Reaction score
John here from Wisconsin. After threatening the wife with it for 30+ years I'm finally building a system, as we're building our retirement home & the basement is mine. Listening and home theater, emphasis on listening. :)

I'm in the process of acquiring all of the bits & pieces, starting with a pair of "Classic" ESL 9's. I spent some quality time in a local listening room, with the 9's being driven by a McIntosh MC462 which was fed by a McIntosh C49. Inputs were some badass turntable and my portable FLAC player. Rush 2112 on vinyl, DSOTM on vinyl, Springsteen on vinyl, Alan Parsons on vinyl, and a large sampling of my portable collection. Everything, even the badly engineered stuff, came alive on the 9's.

I've got some older Bob Carver Sunfire gear in the pipeline, a Cinema Grand Signature amp & Theater Grand II processor. Older Descent sub, older Theater center, and an older pair of Frescos for surround. The friend I'm buying the older gear from also has a pair of Ascents, but the 9's won.

Good to be here, looking forward to learning. Would also like some learned opinions on the retired Sunfire gear.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard... glad you found us. Sounds like you're on the right track! I grew up in Janesville! Get back now and then. Still a die hard Packers fan... what a game last night!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Today I brought home some of the gear for my build. The pal who sold me the Sunfire gear, Descent and Frescos made me an offer on the Ascents that I couldn't refuse. So they are now in my basement. :) The woofer in one of them isn't working, and the panels on both have slipped down about 1/2 inch. I emailed the ML mothership asking for manufacturer input on a dealer/repair outlet to take a look at the Ascent & get it repaired. Not sure where they'll end up - perhaps as surrounds instead of the Frescos? Would that be a sin? :)

Still going to use the Sunfire amp, but I opted for a refurbished Emotiva XMC-1 processor & Emotiva XSP-1 preamp vs the Carver Theater Grand processor. So much more capability in modern parts.

Back