Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass / Whipped Cream & Other Delights

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Artist / Title: Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass / Whipped Cream & Other Delights [IMPORT] [LIMITED EDITION]
Year of Release: 2005
Record Label: King Japan
Genre: Pop

Herb Alpert used only the very best session player of the day, including Hal Blaine on drums and Leon Russell on piano for the Tijuana Brass (TJB). They really had a hit with this album back in 1965. :D I heard the songs years ago but have re-discovered this great pop music on CD. I purchased the Japanese version because I wanted the original songs plus the two bonus tracks. Here’s how this music sounded for me:

A Taste of Honey – This song really made Herb Alpert & TJB house hold names. I loved the trumpets and brass arrangements. Excellent song.

Green Peppers – Short and sweet this song is a beauty.

Tangerine – Melodic and soulful song. I loved the mood it puts me in.

Bittersweet Samba – Has the bosanova beat, fairly short song too. I liked it a lot.

Lemon Tree – Now we’re talking, I thought this song was the best on the CD. Silky smooth and dreamy. I love this song. :D

Whipped Cream – I like the beat and rhythms of this song, as well as the bass guitar.

Love Potion No. 9 – Lots of fun like stripper music, bawdy yet subtle. Actually I found it kinda sexy. My second favorite of the CD, I simply loved it.

Ozomatli – I enjoyed the song and liked the mixture of sound here.

El Garbanzo – This song reminded me of the Motion Picture – “Rio Bravo”. I can almost see John Wayne riding off in the sunset with this song. Wonderful tune.

Ladyfingers – A loverly ballad, pretty and unforgettable.

Butterball – A short song, which I liked.

Peanuts: Like a Mexican Polka, beautiful combinations of brass here especially for ML speakers. A delight to listen to.

Lollipops and Roses – Light and breezy wonderful and lovely at the same time, kinda like Lollipops and Roses. A marvelous tune.

Bonus Tracks: “Rosemary” and “Blueberry Park” both are just excellent and offer new solos by the great Herb Alpert fantastic horn. Definitely songs of the caliber of the rest of the songs on the most excellent CD. I love the sound of brass done well with my ML Ascent i’s, the sound is so rich and clear. I now know what my father used to enjoy so much on this CD, not just the music but ‘The Cover’ :D – Dolores Erickson swathed in whipped cream, she does add style & grace to the cover. In reality, Ms. Erickson was swathed in shaving cream and three months pregnant… :D I think she has a web-site: theladyonthecover.com, I’ve even heard tell; she’ll even sign your CD if you send it to her.

Attachments

• B000002GA9.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B000002GA9.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,359
Last edited:
I have and love all my Herb Alpert stuff. But some of the sonics are flat and often overly hissy. Is the import better sonically, because the musics great and if they're better recordings I really want them.

Japanese Import CD Quality...

Matten Logan said:
I have and love all my Herb Alpert stuff. But some of the sonics are flat and often overly hissy. Is the import better sonically, because the musics great and if they're better recordings I really want them.
Matten Logan,

Yes, from what I hear the import is wonderful, it's part of the reason I paid $34.00 for the Japanese import version on Amazon. It seemed to be the highest quality recording of this beloved Herb Alpert & TJB classic. :D I don't hear any sonic flatness or hiss at all on my ML's. Whipped Cream and Other Delights sounds Sanfrantastic! :D :D

Super choice Robin, I have loved this albumn since I was in 7th grade when it was released.

I recently got the newly remastered version of the CD and sonically it is very good. I would recomend it as well.

If you like Herb Alpert & TJB, try the Casio Royale sound track from Classic records in HDAD 24/192 and 24/96. It plays on a DVD audio or video player. You will think the band is in the room with you. Also includes Dusty Springfield's "The Look of Love"
http://www.classicrecords.com/

Attachments

• DAD1033sm1.jpg
    DAD1033sm1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,051
Brilliant!

Super choice Robin, I have loved this albumn since I was in 7th grade when it was released.

I recently got the newly remastered version of the CD and sonically it is very good. I would recomend it as well.

If you like Herb Alpert & TJB, try the Casio Royale sound track from Classic records in HDAD 24/192 and 24/96. It plays on a DVD audio or video player. You will think the band is in the room with you. Also includes Dusty Springfield's "The Look of Love"
Burke,

Yes, I give the Casio Royale Soundtrack a whorl... :D The film was one of my top ten for 2007. I just Loved "Casio Royale", Daniel Criag and Eva Green were fantastic as well as extremely easy on the eyes... :D

Thank you for the recommendation as well... ;)

Yes, I give the Casio Royale Soundtrack a whorl... :D The film was one of my top ten for 2007. I just Loved "Casio Royale", Daniel Criag and Eva Green were fantastic as well as extremely easy on the eyes... :D

I agree. That was the only movie I saw in the theaters in 2006. However the soundtrack is from the 1967 spoof version with David Niven, Urulsa Andrews, and Peter Sellers. A quite different movie. The 2006 is a better movie but the old soundtrack is a classic.

Latest posts

Back