HELP!!! Summits not playing... I don't want expensive paperweights!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_morse

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Roughly two months and some change ago I auditioned my humble stereo setup - Rogue 99 Magnum Pre, Music Fidelity A3.5 Transport, Monarchy SE-160 Mono Blocks, Summit Mains, Analysis Plus Wiring - for a few friends. Everything played beautifully, and thereafter I unplugged everything, put the covers on the ML's, and got busy.

I went tonight to listen to an album. Plugged everything in and got ready to sit back and enjoy. That's when the problem arose...

I'm getting the low end out of the subs, but not a thing is coming from the ESL panels. The left speaker's top blue light is now only partially lighting, the right speaker's isn't lit at all. Both speakers are showing yellow for the status indicators.

I followed ML's basic troubleshooting routine. Checked all wiring... even went so far as to bypass the Pre-Amp to make sure it wasn't that. Hooked up an extra speaker to one of the amps... it's good to go. Walked one of the Summits back to my bedroom and hooked it up to my receiver and the problem persists.

Keep in mind this isn't one or the other of the mains but BOTH... and that's what has me completely perplexed.

We have gotten several BAD thunderstorms here this year, but I'm a nazi about keeping my equipment unplugged when not in use. Unless the electrical charge from a lightning strike carried through the air, through my walls, and saw fit to enter only the power cords for the ML's, I have no clue what just happened.

These speakers behaved perfectly during my last listening session.

I'm currently letting them sit unplugged for 30 minutes (as I saw suggested in another thread) to hopefully reset the circuitry. After that though, I'm completely out of ideas.

Anyone had any similar issues, or can offer advice here? It'd be much appreciated.

I had a intermittent blue light problem with my new Vistas. They will probably ask you to swap out the stats to prove a point . Sounds like your p/s's went everything is modular and easy to field replace. The company is fantastic with things like that. Good Luck

Alright. Well I just hooked them back up after an hour of down-time. ESL panels still aren't working. I got very close and listened and you can very, very faintly hear the mids/highs in the panels... but they're definitely not playing like they should. In addition, the left speaker seems to be a bit louder, and it's also the one with a slight bit of the blue light on top still working.

There's definitely something majorly wrong though.

Definitely on my list of things to do today. Was just really hoping someone would have an "easy fix" for my problem. I don't even want to imagine how much new boards for the speakers are going to cost.

Definitely on my list of things to do today. Was just really hoping someone would have an "easy fix" for my problem. I don't even want to imagine how much new boards for the speakers are going to cost.

You will be pleasantly surprised, it is not too bad. They offered me an RMA depot repair service to make sure that any parts that need to be fixed are fixed. I did it myself because the failure was obvious, though.

Well Hocky, you were right. Pleasantly surprised with the price. I talked to Dana and he says he's about 85% sure it's the power supplies. I'll order a pair from him in a couple of weeks and install. Really hoping that's the issue. If not, I'll be sending the back plates in to have them looked at.

Guys,

How likely is it that both power supplies would poop out at the same time while the speakers were unplugged? Just curious...

Hi Bat,

Do you have the ML's plugged into their own AC outlets?

I'm thinking a breaker switch. Reset and see what happens.

GG

Gordon,

Thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing initially. The speakers are each on their own outlet. I actually brought in a really long extension cord from the garage and plugged the speakers (and even the equipment in the end) into a different circuit. I checked all breakers and none were tripped.

Last edited:
Well guys, as a small update:

Called this morning to order replacement power supplies for both speakers. Was prepared to shell out about $75 per as quoted by Dana, but I couldn't get ahold of him. Instead, talked to Melodie about my issues and provided her my serial numbers. To my very pleasant surprise, she informed me the speakers were still under warranty and they'd be sending me out two new power supplies for free!

She also told me I won the award for oddest problem of the day, so hey that's something I suppose.

Anyway, power supplies should be here middle of next week and hopefully I'll be back up and listening again.

Really impressed with ML Customer Service. Both experiences were good, but this second one was amazing. I highly recommend Melodie if you guys ever need to talk to a tech.

Well guys, as a small update:

Called this morning to order replacement power supplies for both speakers. Was prepared to shell out about $75 per as quoted by Dana, but I couldn't get ahold of him. Instead, talked to Melodie about my issues and provided her my serial numbers. To my very pleasant surprise, she informed me the speakers were still under warranty and they'd be sending me out two new power supplies for free!

She also told me I won the award for oddest problem of the day, so hey that's something I suppose.

Anyway, power supplies should be here middle of next week and hopefully I'll be back up and listening again.

Really impressed with ML Customer Service. Both experiences were good, but this second one was amazing. I highly recommend Melodie if you guys ever need to talk to a tech.

That was basically the same experience that I had. :)

Well, I received the power supplies on Monday. Finally got around last night to tearing into both speakers and replacing the power power supplies. Sure enough, after getting everything reassembled and powering up the stereo, everything is working again!

Summits are playing beautifully, lights are back... everything!

Wanted to once again thank Melodie from ML for the help, especially verifying that my speakers were still under warranty and saving me some cash!

I'm back to being happy again, and I'm sure my speakers are too!

Back