Help!!! Summit status light

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drrafe

Reaction score
Just received my Summit speakers and on one side the status light just above the AC plug is staying red?? Please help let me know what is up with that and what do I need to do? It is after hours and I have no one to call where they were purchased. I have changed out power cords and ac plugin sites. Is there a fuse to check or something else more grim?
Thanks,
Rafe

A constant red LED means either "initializing" or "safe" mode, where "safe" mode is triggered by overheating, or possibly an electrical fault.

I had a similar situation with my Summits (purchased used), where one of the woofers stopped working, and the red LED stayed on. Luckily for me, it corrected with a "reset". To perform a "reset," unplug the speaker and let it sit for at least 30 mins to "cool down", then plug it in and see if the problem is corrected. If not, obviously call your dealer (if purchased new), or call ML if purchased used. ML provides exceptional support for their products, even if not technically under warranty.

Sleepysurf,
Thanks for your reply.
Sounds like my problem. The downfiring woofer on the channel with the red light is not working. They have not overheated as the red light was on the first time I plugged them in and it has remained on. I went ahead and tried to play them and it plays but as I mentioned, the downfiring woofer is not working. I did unplug and replug, but I did not wait more than a couple of minutes between. I will leave it unplugged overnight and see what happens. BTW, I did buy mine used also. They are supposed to be only three months old and lightly used. They do indeed look brand new. Exceptionally clean, not one scratch anywhere. They even still smell new! Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed the problem will resolve itself.
Thanks, Rafe

Hopefully it will reset and fix itself. I've known this to happen but was probably caused by a loose powercord or faulty power source.

It could potentially be a bad amplifier inside the speaker. If that is the case the good news is that it is relatively easy to replace yourself or for an respectable audio service center. Since you bought it used ML probably won't honor any warranty service work but I'm sure they'll support by selling you the part and with troubleshooting. Their customer service is first rate. Best to call ML asap.

Just an update. The problem was not resolved with leaving unplugged overnight. Still red light and still non functioning downward woofer. I called ML and they immediately said they feel like it is a faulty amplifier and will send me the new part to install. Hopefully all will go well.

ML should be sending printed instructions with the replacement amp. Here is a DIY article that includes photos of the job. You can use in addition to the ML instructions on replacing an amp in a Summit. If in doubt call about any of it call Martin Logan for professional tech advice first.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2090

It's a straight forward job and can be accomplished in less than 30 minutes and that's with taking your time.

Important - What amplifier are you using with these Summits? Do you know what amp was used by the previous owner?

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I didn't pick up on this earlier.... I had the exact same condition with one of my Summits when new out of the box. The dealer sent a tech over and we removed the bottom woofer and found that one of the wires had come loose from the driver and was contacting the other causing a short. Re-making the connections solved everything.

Any luck on getting the new amplifier for your Summit yet?

ML (as all of you guys have posted in the past) was extremely helpful with this situation and sent a replacement amp right away. I installed it yesterday and it works without a problem. Thanks to all for your help and thanks to ML for supporting a great product.

Rafe

Just curious, since you bought "used" what did ML charge (if anything) for the amp replacement?

The speakers were still under warranty being about 3-4 months old. ML essentially just did a swap on the amp. Actually, they charged my cc $150.00 for the new amp in case I didn't send the old one back. And then they credited my card upon return of the old amp. I guess I could have sent the old one back first and then received the new one later at no charge, but I didn't want to wait. Top notch service in my opinion.

Rafe

Latest posts

Back