Help Please!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pabxmafia

Hello all!!! I recently purchased the Cinemai and Clarity's and love them! The only thing is that when I turn off my B&K receiver..The speakers sound like there still on..It only happens with one speaker at a time...but when it does..it sounds like a popping/crackling type sound...not very loud, but still noticable when you walk by..I called ML and they sais that this is typical with non-broken-in speakers...they also said that the sound I hear is the panel "discharging"..and that after I break them in, the noise should dissappear..They also said that it wont' hurt my panels....Now.....Its not that I dont't believe what they are saying...I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced this....Hopefully it is just the break-in period or a dusty panel...Thanks in Advance!!

pabxmafia said:
Hello all!!! I recently purchased the Cinemai and Clarity's and love them! The only thing is that when I turn off my B&K receiver..The speakers sound like there still on..It only happens with one speaker at a time...but when it does..it sounds like a popping/crackling type sound...not very loud, but still noticable when you walk by..I called ML and they sais that this is typical with non-broken-in speakers...they also said that the sound I hear is the panel "discharging"..and that after I break them in, the noise should dissappear..They also said that it wont' hurt my panels....Now.....Its not that I dont't believe what they are saying...I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced this....Hopefully it is just the break-in period or a dusty panel...Thanks in Advance!!
Hola pabxmafia. Sometimes the amplifier is the one that makes the noise...why don´t you disconnect the speaker cable at the one that it is making the noise just before you turn the B&K off, and listen. Be aware that the speakers cables won´t make any short circuit between them. If you don´t have any noise after this, then now you know from where it is coming from. The noise could be due to some discharging capacitors and won´t hurt any speakers. This could be another reason of the noise...if the noise is still there, then ML is right also and won´t hurt the speakers also. All electrostatic speakers make funny noises one and then...hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Thanks for the fast response! Yesterday it was my clarity on the left making the noise...I disconnected the banana plugs from the speaker terminals and the noise stopped....but when I plugged them back in...the noise continued...and then stopped after about 30 min...The receiver is in sleep mode at this point...Man...I really hope its the speaker not broken in or just discharging...has that happened to u?

pabxmafia said:
Thanks for the fast response! Yesterday it was my clarity on the left making the noise...I disconnected the banana plugs from the speaker terminals and the noise stopped....but when I plugged them back in...the noise continued...and then stopped after about 30 min...The receiver is in sleep mode at this point...Man...I really hope its the speaker not broken in or just discharging...has that happened to u?

when this happens, it is your amplifier. The noise is produced by some discharging capacitors :cool: ...and won´t harm your speakers...as you said, if you disconnect the speaker cable, the noise goes away :eek: ...it is coming from your amp. Don´t worry..it is normal...happy listening. :D :
pura vida,
roberto.

Try leaving your amplifier on for a few days and see if still makes a noise.

Back