Help please, a tiny dent on the panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roni44

Reaction score
Hi all, my son knocked over one of the Clarity and luckily the speaker survived the fall. The speaker output just fine however I can hear an annoying static pop during low volume play. I took the flesh light and checked every inch of the panel and found a tiny dent and where the static pop is coming from. Dent is very small and can barely it unless you look for it at right angel with right lighting. I'm wondering anyone here dealt with such problem and point me a right direction for the tooling or solution to eliminate the static pop noisy. Thanks in advance.

Hi all, my son knocked over one of the Clarity and luckily the speaker survived the fall. The speaker output just fine however I can hear an annoying static pop during low volume play. I took the flesh light and checked every inch of the panel and found a tiny dent and where the static pop is coming from. Dent is very small and can barely it unless you look for it at right angel with right lighting. I'm wondering anyone here dealt with such problem and point me a right direction for the tooling or solution to eliminate the static pop noisy. Thanks in advance.

Never had the issue. I wonder if one of those dent removers for a car would work ? Probably have them at autozone? Hopefully others might chime in

I believe the perforated stator panel is painted/coated with insulating material. If so, some may have "flaked off" at the damaged area, causing minor static/arcing, possibly even burning a small hole in the stat membrane. I suspect the static sound will eventually disappear, once that small portion of the membrane loses conductivity. I doubt there's any shock risk (see... https://www.martinlogan.com/en/support/faqs/q/201), but I would reach out directly to ML for advice (email their Tech Support if difficult to call them from Taiwan).

How large or small is the dent? Are we talking a pinpoint or a 1/4" in diameter or larger?

I had a dent in a panel on my CLS's years ago. This too involved an active young male family member.

I was able to use HEAVY sewing thread to pull out the dent. I threaded the thread with sharp tweezers through a perf hole and out the next hole. I then tied it into a loop around a stiff piece of wood that was able to have one end against the upper frame of the speaker. Using the piece of wood as a fulcrum i.e. leverage device. I was able to pull the dent out. I took a lot more force to pull it out than I had expected but did work.

You would need to adapt this process to your issue and speakers but may work for you.

I realize this is somewhat vague so feel free to ask questions if needed.

Brad

Hola,

With my ClXs, I had a big earthquake and one felt to a furniture corner, making a dent to the bass stat panel. Playing, I had on some notes, a big annoying sound came out when heavy bass was present. Because the dent is visible and also the bad sound comes from there, with the aid of a nylon zip ties, I made a loop though holes of the centre of the dent, I lay down my CLX, and with much careful of do not touch the stat diaphragm, passing the wood handle of my hammer through the loop that I just made, I pulled out several times, until the dent was gone. Now my CLX sound is equal to the other without any distortion and there is no visible dent.

Happy listening!

Perhaps you could do the same

thank you all for the suggestion, @Brad225, my dent is about inch an half long, and about an half wide. @Roberto, once again, thank you. I will try both suggestion and see if I can fix the problem. I think biggest challenge is to thread thu the hole. Weird thing is that sometimes the static pops will go away, but always comes back especially listening to musics.

roni,

I think that with patience and small eyebrows tweezers you can pick the tip of the nylon zip tie. then once you have the band stripe secured, pull out. the stat panel metal is not too strong, and you can make easy the original shape.

good luck and happy listening!

Hi all, I ended up using a small size zip tie and bend the tip was able to thread thu the holes with few try. Once zip tie went thu the right holes, then I pull forward as hard as I can but slowly. The entire process took me less than 5 min and the static pop is gone (so far). Happy listening now and thank you all again.

Hola Roni,

Those are fantastic news! I am glad that you could fixed it, taking the patience...5 minutes or so! Good for you! My problem took a little bit longer. The dent had about four to five inches of diameter, and also a little scrapped the nylon protective coat at the panel...the scrapped area does not goes to see the metal, but you can feel it. I better not to touch there, and also there is no sparks there. Still it is well insulated.

Happy listening!

Glad to hear you were able to pull the dent out and save the panel. I clearly remember when I was doing it. i was scared I would destroy the panel though the dent made the panel be somewhat useless.

Brad

Glad to hear you were able to pull the dent out and save the panel. I clearly remember when I was doing it. i was scared I would destroy the panel though the dent made the panel be somewhat useless.

Brad

Me too, I was really worry of damaging the panel in some way, and esp. with my superman strength might pull it too hard create a bulge. Luckily, the static pop has not returned since then.

Me too, I was really worry of damaging the panel in some way, and esp. with my superman strength might pull it too hard create a bulge. Luckily, the static pop has not returned since then.

This is awesome!! You are... the man of steel!! :)

Back