Help on this...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aris A

Reaction score
PHP:
More things to know: You can remotely operate the stand-by mode by applying 12 volts DC to
the single pair of 5 way connectors on the rear of the amplifier. The positive of the 12 volts DC
goes to the red connector. This connection has an actual operating range of about 9 volts to
15 volts. This switching will override the front panel button, so if you want the button to
operate, leave the rear connection open.

:confused: I would like to use this feature but I have no idea where to start. My 2 ch system: Tube preamp + Amp + Scenarios

:rolleyes: One more question...I'm planning to add a subwoofer along the line. Which connection method would you go: (1) A/V source+tube preamp+amp+sub+speakers or (2) A/V source+preamp(with sub preout)+sub & amp+speakers.

Thanks for any input from you guys!!

Some Pre-amps have a 12VDC trigger that you can use to turn on your amp. If you have this trigger connection on your tube pre amp you can hook it up to your amp. Then when you turn on your pre-amp your amp will come on as well.

Last edited:
I am using the 12volt trigger on my Pre-amp to trigger on my MonsterCable HTPS-7000SS that then triggers ON the amp.

So when I power ON the Pre-amp, it powers ON the power center and then powers up the amp all with the touch of one button.

Wish I had a 12V trigger on my Carver amps. :( So I just have them on all the time.

Cherian said:
Some Pre-amps have a 12VDC trigger that you can use to turn on your amp. If you have this trigger connection on your tube pre amp you can hook it up to your amp. Then when you turn on your pre-amp your amp will come on as well.
Cherian,
Is there another way around if my preamp does not have a trigger?

You can do it the way Joe has done it. Trigger your amp ON with a Monster power conditioner that has a 12 volt trigger. I think Ferman and ETA make power sequencers that have 12 volt triggers that do not sell for much and you can use these to give you some surge protection as well. Good luck.

If you are just trying to power up an amp and/or other devices when the preamp comes up, you can try something like this:

SmartStrip

It uses a "master" plug/socket to sense current draw which then causes it to turn on the other outlets. I built something similar to this to power up my amp since it doesn't have any type of trigger. I used a relay and assorted parts from Radio Shack - the above looks like a more elegant solution for roughly the same cost in parts.

re: the sub

If it's an ML sub, you may want to run pre-outs to the sub and let it filter the bass for its own drivers, then use the return "outs" from the sub to feed the amp which drives the main speakers. This way, your main amp only drives stuff that the main speakers need to handle, and this configuration works for two-channel also.

In particular, for a typical receiver, the sub channel (x.1) is usually not driven unless you are in Dolby or DTS multichannel mode. In two-channel mode, it just sends the full spectrum to the front mains. As above, the full pre-out would be filtered by the circuits in the sub, returning only the non-sub/bass to the amp that drives the mains speakers.

Back