Help! New ML System for new ML user

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcblum

Reaction score
I am moving into a new place that isn't built yet and I'd like to put in a HT system. I auditioned a pair of ML Clarity and I loved them. Are there other speakers that I should look at in the ML line? My room is pretty small, so I did like the size of these, but please let me know if there's something I'm missing.

Also, I took a look at a lot of the systems on this board, and I didn't see too many Clarity. Any advice for a guy getting started?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

It would be very helpful if you could give some guidelines, as far as your budget, existing equipment, and goals with the system. There are lots of possibilities and lots of opinions, but this will help tailor the feedback to your particular situation.

Steve

PS - I have owned Claritys for over a year and love them. Of course, if money and WAF were not factors, I would have gone higher!

The clarity is a grate speaker, I would not classify it as a reference quality speaker, but it is a wonderful speaker nonetheless. Another speaker I would consider would be the next step up in the lineup the “vantage”. The vantage is as wide as the clarity but a little taller and has a powered woofer. The vantage won’t take up much more space then the clarity would, but will offer you a bigger bolder sound, that I think you will fall in love with.

Take care,

Zip3kx07 said:
The clarity is a grate speaker, I would not classify it as a reference quality speaker, but it is a wonderful speaker nonetheless. Another speaker I would consider would be the next step up in the lineup the “vantage”. The vantage is as wide as the clarity but a little taller and has a powered woofer. The vantage won’t take up much more space then the clarity would, but will offer you a bigger bolder sound, that I think you will fall in love with.

Take care,

You forgot the Vista, Joe.
;)

Check out the Vista... slightly more expensive than the Clarity but you get a full XStat and the look of the new Logans.

Joey_V said:
You forgot the Vista, Joe.
;)

Check out the Vista... slightly more expensive than the Clarity but you get a full XStat and the look of the new Logans.

Your right I did, my bad.

Vantage, two steps up.

Budget is an interesting question. Really, I don't have much money, but I can always reallocate if I find something I love. I'm a small business owner, so there are always options. I'd really like to keep it under $8,000.

As far as existing equipment, I have none whatsoever except for my Genelec 1032s that I use for mixing.

Is the vantage a good upgrade choice if I'm planning to get a sub?

As mentioned above, Vantage looks like a very interesting option. I'll tell you my thought process...

I upgraded from crap, to Martin Logans about two years ago. At the time, Clarity was brand new and at the edge of my budget. They were the best thing I heard under $3k, and astheticly looked way too cool. Personnally, I didn't particularly care for the look of the higher end Logans that were available at the time, and they were out of my budget anyway.

After getting them home, I decided I needed a sub (REL...another $1k) due to the lack of bass on the Claritys. This combo was perfect for me. If I were looking today, I would seriously consider Vantage, particularly if they would allow you to go without a sub for a while. Eventually you will probably want to add a sub, particularly if you do much home theater.

I also like the look of the Vantages. I know, it petty to talk about asthetics on an audio site, but these things are in my living room and have to look nice.

I still have not added a center, but with the imaging of the current setup, it hasn't really been an issue. I went cheap on the surround speakers, because I don't do much home theater, and I don't do any 5.1 music.

I was directed to Outlaw for pre/pro and amp, and that has been a great decision as well. Great equipment for the money. For $1500, you can get a great pre/pro, and seperate 7 channel amp with full warantee and money back guarantee.

As far as a source, there are a lot of opinions out there. Personnally, I went with Rotel. Good equipment that can be had for good prices used on audiogon. My next upgrade is going to be ditching the CD's altogether, converting them to FLAC files on a PC, with Squeezebox as the controller.

So budget: Vantages ~ $5k, Outlaw pre/pro + amp ~ $1.5k, DVD ~ $500, surround speakers ~ $500...brings your total to $7500. Down the road, I'd budget for a center (maybe used Cinema i ~ $1k) and sub (ML, REL, or Velodyne).

My $0.02.

I would still use a sub with the vantage, the powered 8" woofers have very good bass, equal to if not grater then my Ascents 10" woofers. But Yes I would still use a good sub.

You could take a look at Martin Logan’s brand new speaker the “Vista”, its basically the vantage without the built in mono block amps for the woofers. I would think the vista’s bass would be very similar to the clarity’s bass. I would find a dealer and do some auditioning and see what speaker best suits your tastes.

Last edited:
I was hoping $8000 for everything. Here's what I'm considering right now:

ML Vantage :: $5000 (can I get any used?)
Anthem D1 :: $3500 (local demo unit)
Anthem :: MCA-50 $1250 on Audiogon

Does that seem like a decent setup for the time being? Anything I should change?

You guys are a great asset. Thanks.

Matt

mcblum said:

Does that seem like a decent setup for the time being? Anything I should change?

Matt

The vantage is a pretty new speaker; a few deals have popped up here, and there.

I have an Anthem D1 my self and love it, its not a warm or cold sounding pre-amp, it very natural in my option. I got to barrow a friends anthem A5 amp a weak ago, its basically the MCA-50 in a different chassis to match the Anthem Statement gear. I like the amp very much, only negative I had was it was lacking in the bass department, but I think the vantages mono amps will make up for that.

I say go for it.

mcblum said:

Matt

You shouldve popped in here about two months ago when I had my Vantages for sale.... that was a good deal!

For 8K, I would try to see if you can push it to find a pair of used Summits and then work on the amps afterwards.... you can probably find a pair of Summits for under 8K.... and just push it a little up to fit a good amp and preamp. Call it quits for a while, then upgrade the amp to a better one when money permits.

Think of it this way, the Summits will afford you the luxury to avoid a sub purchase AND give you better sound (and potential).

My room is too small for the Summits I believe. It an area about 14x14 I think, but the place isn't built yet, so it's tough to visualize completely. Is is true that the Summits need some room to breathe? The maximum that I'd be able to pull off is putting them two feet from the rear wall and sitting around 8 feet in front of them. Might not be enough?

mcblum said:
My room is too small for the Summits I believe. It an area about 14x14 I think, but the place isn't built yet, so it's tough to visualize completely. Is is true that the Summits need some room to breathe? The maximum that I'd be able to pull off is putting them two feet from the rear wall and sitting around 8 feet in front of them. Might not be enough?

That is a small room, but could be done as long as you spend the time and money to acoustically treat the room, or you will find the summits will overpower the room very quickly. Even for the Vantage I would recommend you treat the room, but I dont think the vantage will be as over powering.

Not to say that they are better, but I did read somewhere in Martin Logan literature that the Ascent i for fronts, Clarity's for rears, Theater i for center and Descent for sub was their official Reference HT system (I am sure the summit will be included in the new reference system).

I just thought this might be of some interest givne your situation since many of these speakers can be bought right now new at HUGE discounts. I would really try to audition the Vantage and Ascent i's to determine which one holds more value for your ear. Some people actually prefer the Ascent i's. I have not heard the new models myself.

Anyway, lets suppose that you are willing to go with the Reference HT set up I mentioned...you may be able to afford more speakers. Personally, I would jump on the Ascen i's and Theater i if you chose to go this route. Those are the two that I have seen with HUGE discounts. These 3 speakers will probably run you about the same as the Vantage set alone.

If you are able to hold off at all or have more funds, you could possibly get the whole HT set up in one swift buy!

Good Luck,
Dominick

Dominick22 said:
I would really try to audition the Vantage and Ascent i's to determine which one holds more value for your ear. Some people actually prefer the Ascent i's. I have not heard the new models myself.

Want to buy my Ascents, and will go out and get a pair of vantage? :D

Small HT is a challege...

Matt,

A small HT room is definately a challeging situation. I have lots of ML speakers and electronical gear in a very small room. It sounds beautiful to my ears. I just don't trun it up too loud, in order to save my ears. I like being enveloped in ML sound, anyway someday I'll have a much larger HT... In the mean time I love my small HT. I like your idea of used Vantages and Anthem D1, although I would recommend the Anthem A5, instead of the MCA-50, only because I have heard the A5. Ultimately, "Trust your ears" and audition too... :)

Wecome !, 8k budget and 14x14 room, as a current Vantage owner I think it would be a great choice. New the Vantage's can be had for around $4500 so that would leave you $3500 for associated equipment. If two channel listening is not of concern then go the 5.1 processor route with associated amp (check out Audiogon). If two channel listening is a criteria then my belief is build the best two channel set-up you can and fill in with your "HT" gear when $$$ allow, Good Luck !!!!!

Sorry-I already have the old reference system! LOL
And please dont think that I am implying the Ascent i's are better...I really dont know since I have not heard the new models.

I am just saying that the savings may be worth it!

Dominick

mcblum said:
Twich,

Where can I get the vantage for $4500?

If your "authorized" dealer won't give you 10% then I would be surprised since that is pretty much the norm. My Dealer, Overture Audio, 10% and no tax (State of De).

Back